The Diesel Stop banner

F350 Axle ratios?

20K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  larrgh 
#1 ·
Looking at buying a 2015 F-350 SRW 4x4, short-bed (Platinum). Manufacture date is 04/15.

So far it's passed the "sniff test". Drives well, is very clean, has 31k showing on the ODO.

But - I don't know what axle ratio is installed. Is there an easy way to find out? Seller (a small dealer, non-Ford) doesn't know for sure.

#2 ·
There should be a metal tag under one of the bolts on the differential. It will have the ratio on it, and if like the earlier trucks, an "L" where the decimal point would be indicating a limited slip or locking axle.

#3 ·
Reactions: bogeyman
#4 ·
I believe that if you look on the driver's door sticker there is a axle code. Mine is a 3H and it means that I have a 3.31 rear end. One thing is I have a E-locker and not a limited slip.

#5 ·
Something that is easier to read than the tag on the rear axle is a white label on the front axle. It should be on the back of the right axle tube and the ratio is at the top right. The only options for that truck would be a 3.31 or a 3.55.

Reactions: HeavyAssault
#6 ·
And in case you do not know it, the tire size that comes with each largely offsets the impact of the different gear ratios. If you plan on tossing the oem rims and tires and opting for much larger tires or lift, most find the 3.55 works better.

There seem to be more complaints about the 20's wearing, but some have no problems with them.

Get an Oasis report on repairs by Ford.

Reactions: bogeyman
#8 ·
You can download the Ford app called Ford Pass and enter the VIN on it. It accesses the Ford Oasis system. It will give you some info the same as an Oasis report but not in dept info of any visits to dealer that are logged.

is handy if sitting at home or weekend when dealer shop not open.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.