Ford engine brake - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2012, 02:54 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ford engine brake

Does the 2012 F350 sb srw desiel engine have a engine turbo brake like gm or dodge. I'm a flat land heading to Utah and Colorado and think this is a deal breaker in my new truck purchase.
Thanks
Bd55
bad55 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 03:14 PM   #2 (permalink)

Yes the 6.7l has an exhaust brake.
Recon Projection Headlights, AFE Exhaust,
Katzkin Leather, Smittybilt M1 Grill
Bilstein 5160 Shocks, 20" Rigid LED Light,
Firestone Airbags
spedkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 03:25 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
The 6.7L has an exhaust brake in tow/haul mode...overall it works great for me, have had no issues keeping my rig under control empty or loaded.

I did have a 6.7L Cummins with a stick and exhaust brake...I hate to admit but that is the ultimate combo if you want to slow down. The exhaust brakes with automatic transmissions are not nearly as effective on slow down since they will not hold gears like a manual to let the exhaust brake slow the vehicle. My Cummins worked just like a big rig and sounded like one too.

Past Toys:
2012 Ram 3500 CCSB, 4x4 6.7 Cummins, G56 6 spd

2011 F-250 CCSB, 4x4, 6.7L, 3.31 E-Locker

2009 F-250 CCSB, 4x4, 6.4L,Torqshift, Spartan

2009 Dodge 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 6 spd,

2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic, CCSB, 4x4, Duramax LBZ, Allison 1000, 4" MBRP Cat Back, Diablosport Predator, Edge Insight

2005 F-250 CCSB, 4x4, Torqshift, 4" Cat Back

2004 F-250 CCSB Fx4, 6spd, Bully Dog Intake, Banks 4" turbo back, Edge Juice

2002 F-250 SCSB, 6spd, AFE Intake, ATS Turbo Back Duals, B&D 60hp chip
luke0204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-07-2012, 05:11 PM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks guys. I guess a new ford it is.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

The trick to the Ford Exhaust brake is to get Into the right BEFORE you start downhill.

The exhaust brake needs RPMs in the high 2000 to lower 3000 rpms to be effective. Going downhill in a gear at 1800 rpm will not produce much back pressure. For example 2nd gear will hold a pretty good load at 45 mph But 3rd gear won't hold much at 50 mph. Just slow to appropriate speed and use the +/- button to down shift to the correct gear.

I frequently come down Parleys Canyon ( I-80) and Daniels Canyon ( US40) in Utah, Both have 7% grades, pulling a 13,000 lb GN horse trailer, I can come down those grades and never touch my brake pedal. The exhaust brake holds the load just fine.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-08-2012, 02:56 PM   #6 (permalink)

Painted Horse, what gear are you in on that 7% grade?

I pull a fifth wheel trailer (#17000), most years I buy a new Ford, and have always experienced like you no need for truck brakes on a 6% grade.

This 2011 has the weakest grade braking system of any Ford I have run. I just ran down the Camp Verde 10 mile 6% grade in Arizona, third gear between 3500 to 4000 rpm, needed the truck brake 5 times. This is just one example, has happened to me many times.

This issue is a big deal with me, between needing air bags and this grade braking issue, can't understand what Ford is thinking.

I have always been a head, I really don't want to think about the dark side, sooooo hope Ford gets there arms around these issues.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I'm pulling a 13,000lb trailer and your 4,000 lbs extra probably makes the difference. 2nd gear for 45 mph and 3rd gear for 65 mph

I had a B&D Exhaust Brake on my 2006 6.0L and this new Ford is every bit as strong in braking IF I get it slowed down and into the right gear at the top of the grade.

Old 03-09-2012, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)

So for going down long grades take it out of auto put it in third gear and keep RPms below 4000. Is this the best wat to go down hills?
Old 03-11-2012, 11:25 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
I'm pulling a 13,000lb trailer and your 4,000 lbs extra probably makes the difference. 2nd gear for 45 mph and 3rd gear for 65 mph

I had a B&D Exhaust Brake on my 2006 6.0L and this new Ford is every bit as strong in braking IF I get it slowed down and into the right gear at the top of the grade.

thats the key..to have it in the correct gear. Unfortuneatly, the Ford set up is not as good as the Cummins, nor the Duramax. The Cummins is by far the loudest of the group and you think it is doing the best job at slowing down your load vs the Duramax's slightly more sophisticated system which is slightly better and quieter getting the job done. FORD NEEDS TO GET THIS PERFECTED. Everything else on the Fords are better than the competetion except this. Jeff
2012 Dodge HO Dually car hauler truck for Dodge dealer

2010 F150 FX4 5.4 3.73's .sold

2008 LWB CC 6.4 dually. 3.73's

2007 LWB CC 6.0 Dually, 4:10, ID SCT tunes Xtreme race, Xtreme street, and tow w/agressive brake, MBRP Turbo back cool duals AFE Mega 2 ..

some older Duramax's and PowerStrokes that have over 300k miles..look like heck but still run
Jassman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-11-2012, 12:24 PM   #10 (permalink)

You can leave it in Drive and just press the - button to remove the option for 6-5-4 gear. I often just slow down to the right speed and press the cruise button and let the tranny find the gear. I've never bothered to shift the lever to M and manage the gears manually.

It's definitely not a perfect solution. And maybe for your 16,000 lbs it not strong enough. But i've learned to make use of it with my 13,000 lbs horse trailer. Just learn what speeds/gears work the best for your load. I've found that comming down Daniels Canyon ( head of canyon has some 8%) that I can't expect my truck to hold back the load at 65 mph. So I slow to 50mph as I crest the summit and get into the right gear and it will hold me under 60 mph. If I leave the cruise set at 65 as I crest the summit, I'll soon be doing 75 mph unless I apply brakes. So slow down to a 5 mph less than the speed you want to take corners at and set the cruise.

I've come down Daniels Canyon, Parley Canyon and off Logan Canyon into Bear Lake and never touched my brakes and stayed at speeds suggested by the yellow corner signs..

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.