Fuel additive - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel additive

Just wondering what the best fuel additive to run in my new truck. I used the ford stuff and diesel kleen in my 6.0. Will that work in the new one

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
20"wheels, 3.55 EL gear, Dual Alternators, FX4, Upfitter Switches, Bullet Liner, Weather Tech mats, Reacon side mirror smoke lens

My Wife took ownership of:
2006 F-250 Lariat 6.0L Crew Cab, Black w/ Chrome package, Chrome bug guard and door latches
18" stock wheels, Nitto Tera Grappler, 4" Turbo Back MBRP, AccuFab Power Elbo, Edge Insight Monitor, Tinted Windows, Rhino Liner, Husky Floor Mats, B&W Turnover, Air Horn, ZooDad mod, Recon's all around, ARP studs, EGR Delete, SCT from IDP, and a heavy foot

Turned 100K miles 12-23-11

-New Head Gaskets 58K
-New EGR Cooler 29K
mlsteele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2012, 07:04 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
I've been using Power Service in mine since new. I alternate between the white and gray bottles depending on the season. A lot of people on here use the factory Ford additives. I've also had good luck with Stanadyne products over the years as well.

Past Toys:
2012 Ram 3500 CCSB, 4x4 6.7 Cummins, G56 6 spd

2011 F-250 CCSB, 4x4, 6.7L, 3.31 E-Locker

2009 F-250 CCSB, 4x4, 6.4L,Torqshift, Spartan

2009 Dodge 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 6 spd,

2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic, CCSB, 4x4, Duramax LBZ, Allison 1000, 4" MBRP Cat Back, Diablosport Predator, Edge Insight

2005 F-250 CCSB, 4x4, Torqshift, 4" Cat Back

2004 F-250 CCSB Fx4, 6spd, Bully Dog Intake, Banks 4" turbo back, Edge Juice

2002 F-250 SCSB, 6spd, AFE Intake, ATS Turbo Back Duals, B&D 60hp chip
luke0204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 07:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

I've been using Diesel Kleen in mine for a while, and no problems. Only been using it for about 10,000 miles (probably less), so don't have any long term results, but I'm not really expecting anything out of this world.
BakFlip G2 Bed Cover
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
edjunior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Decide why you want to use an additive and then research each of the available products and choose one that solves problems you face.

If you just want to spend money, you can buy any of the products and solve that need.

If the fuel in your area lacks Cetane, then buy an additive that adds Cetane.
If you need additional lubrication, Then buy an additive that adds Lubrication
( you can read a report on Lubrication here Lubricity Additive Study Results - Diesel Place : Chevrolet and GMC Diesel Truck Forums

If you need to add Anti Gel for cold weather, Then pick a product that does that.

Most manufactures bundle their products, so they accomplish several of the above in one bottle.

Ford offers two products, PM-22 and PM-23 One adds Cetane but no Anti-Gel the other adds Anti Gel for cold weather but no Cetane improvement,

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2012, 11:15 AM   #5 (permalink)

Amsoil and Power Service have worked the best for me so far. The truck seems to run better (more power) on the Power Service.

Used these products on our other diesel pickups and we seemed to circumvent fuel system issues on our trucks.

Definitely use a diesel fuel conditioner as the quality of diesel varies from supplier to supplier. I believe Ford recommends a minimum of 47 octane in this 6.7 motor.

Good fuel will keep your truck running a long time without issues. Keep up on your fuel filter changes also. Dont skimp on certain key items.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

The XDP product works great. Cetane booster, engine lubricator, soot reducer, and anti-gelling all in one bottle. Only takes about an ounce so the bottle lasts longer.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 12-13-2012, 06:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Supporting Member

I use Power Service as well. I had Furnace issues with my newer High Tech furnace and used a good dose of Power Service and it cleared up and has been perfect for a year now. I continue to add it to my Oil Tank.
2011 F350 Lariat DK.Blue/Silver,Black Leather Crew Cab,Short Box SRW. Supplemental Heater,3.55 ELD, Remote Starter. Used for hauling 16ft x 8.5ft. Work Trailer , 8ft. Fisher Plow, Lance 820 truck camper for those days I can get away.
Captcaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 07:22 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
A trusted diesel guy at my dealership told me that any diesel with EGR, which is every diesel now, need some kind of additional fuel additive to make sure the EGR valve and cooler doesn't plug up and cause problems.
2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
wpetko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 08:06 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
I use Power Service year round. It can usually be found on sale at Tractor Supply.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:10 PM   #10 (permalink)
nod

I am not being a wise a$$ just wondering why I should have to add anything to my fuel to keep the truck running right. I read the diesel engine book that came with the owners manual and don't recall seeing and requirement or recommendation to add anything to the fuel. I read the book back in April when I bought the truck. New F250.

nod
Old 12-13-2012, 02:08 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
There is a note in the diesel supplement about running the PM22 additive.
You don't have to run it, Im sure there are plenty of people out there that don't.

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2012, 06:24 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nod View Post
just wondering why I should have to add anything to my fuel to keep the truck running right
I think, in part it's because the very important cetane levels throughout the USA are mostly unpredictable/unposted and frequently below the FORD recommended levels. Also, ULSD is almost a brand-new approach to diesel formulation, designed to reduce immissions, but it's possible that it just really doesn't have enough proper combustion-side lubrication for our engines after all the sulfer is removed.

IMO, "What is" can frequently be quite different from "What should be", especially when interstate commerce is involved.

Personally, I do it to add to the myth and mystique of diesel trucks - really confuses the heck out of all those rice racers to see me at fuel stations climb in and out of the bed of my truck, mumbling to myself, and measuring out strange liquid potions into my tank before fueling up. Arrrggghh! (grin)

- Don
Notice: Anything that I or anyone else writes about my vehicle on this, or any other, website pertaining to modifications or alterations, is only for discussion purposes and/or to gain acceptance from my peers, and may not actually represent anything existing on my truck, and thus, can not and should not be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, whatsoever that may arise for any cause.
deliberate is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-18-2012, 10:11 AM   #13 (permalink)
nod

I got out the manual and read some of it again. You are right lincster, the PM22 was mentioned a couple of times. I stopped at the Ford dealer yesterday and bought a bottle of PM22. I just have to figure out how much to add to a full tank (26 gal). Thanx for all the replies.

nod
Old 12-18-2012, 10:59 AM   #14 (permalink)
nod

I just read the instructions on the bottle. It states to add before filling to aid in mixing. Anyone add the PM22 after filling up? Actually I don't know how many gallons the truck is going to take until I am done. Normally I watch the $$$ . Right now the tank is full. I try to keep at least a half of tank or more due to condensation.

nod
Old 12-18-2012, 12:44 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
I always add mine before adding diesel. 4 oz for 24 gallons is what I put in. There is a ratio calculation that you can do based on the mixing directions on the bottle.

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.