Goodbye Ford 6.7 HPFP - Page 3 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 04:58 AM   #31 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mighty White View Post
Well, I got my question answered by the man himself Bob last nite. We talked about his system and the seperator just went on market so nobody has system yet. Bob has a vast knowledge and has tested on his truck. I will have one on my truck next week. I keep everybody updated.. Thanks
i would put one on also, but i am just a bit concerned about where it mounts, and road debris that could fracture / shatter the fuel bowls that house the filters. the whole setup looks very well done overall, but are those bowls glass ? if you hit a chuck of tire in the road or branches or whatever, i worry about something getting kicked up and taking the filter out. in one of the pictures on the dieselsite site, you can clearly see a tire in the background. it must be a rear tire, i should think, but i just want to make sure it is not potentially in the line of fire from the front tire.

also i bought a service plan for my truck along with a bumper to bumper warranty to 125k that covers basically everything except the seats and carpet, all from ford. so i would need to check with my servicing dealer to make sure they would not have a problem with it before i did put it on.

bob, can you give more details as to where it would mount ? is it tucked in behind something ? i know it is near the fuel tank, but i can't tell exactly where.

2006 F350 4X4 6.0L Lariat

Last edited by willingtonpaul; 12-01-2012 at 05:08 AM.
willingtonpaul is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2012, 06:29 AM   #32 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

We can not blame Ford for the quality of the fuel that is being distributed throughout the country. Lets face it the fuel is crap, there are no government regulations on quality or cetain rates. Just taxes and dyes to make sure taxes are collected. Ford can be blamed for inadequate filtration systems knowing fuel quality at fault. Maybe Ford should be looking at a system like Dieselsites for an up grade to be installed at a Dealer level. They will probly sell a bunch. They did it on the 7.3 with the Donadson heavy duty air filter upgrade. On another note I heard on talk radio that our president wants to change the U.S. infrastructer and eliminate Diesel fuel altogether and have everything converted to LP gas. To make it look good Diesel taxes will raised yet again 50%.
2000,F250SD,SC,PSD,4X4,SB,6SPD.TRADED 2002 F250SD,CC,PSD,4X4,6SPD.TRADED Both bone stock,NO cackle!Rotella T,Stanadyne performance additive every tank.2 out of 2 an't bad. 2004 F350 CC 6.0 Torque shift,4X4,TRADED. 2008 F350 CC4X4 GAS!!!TRADED. 2011 F350 CC Lariat FX4 Back to DIESEL TRADED. 2013 F350 CC Lariat ultimate 4x4 Ruby Red.
tomallen is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 08:42 AM   #33 (permalink)

My Photos: (15)
you could always make up a sheet metel sheld for it .that is hat I did for my racor on my 7.3
bob can we see where it mounts on a sclb truck? bob how much water has it stoped for you?

Last edited by Cratos; 12-01-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Cratos is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 09:26 AM   #34 (permalink)

Interesting thread...but this problem was brought up in September of 2011...by me...The difference in my situation was after final inspection of all my parts and a disassembled pump, no evidence of water...jut a grenaded pump...I got the Ford dance about water and no warranty...my fuel control solenoid shows no rust where is meets fuel flow...neither does the pressure control valve(or whatever they call it)...mu pump is clean as a whistle inside except for the aluminum grindings that are everywhere...my Titan tank looked like a silver mine there was so much aluminum chaff in it...

I believe I filed the very first NHTSA complaint over Ford failure. The VW comments earlier are accurate. My new neighbor is a warranty recall engineer at VW. We have talked...I asked him what compassionate force caused the change of heart at VW concerning their new found position to warranty any and all Bosch CP4 related faiures to 100,000 miles...period....He said there was no compassion involved...they were told by the NHTSA that either they fixed them all there would be a recall...when I asked about Ford...he just smiled...

This discussion only barely touches on the lubricity shortfall carnage with these pumps. There are long discussions involving some very smart engineers about the Bosch CP4 pump...interesting stuff...The base fact is Bosch's own specifications...Published Bosch documents clearly show their position that the pump needs 460 scar fuel(the lower the number the better) for satisfactory pump life. US fuel standards are 520 scar. Interesting enough, Canadian fuel standards are 460 scar. The NHTSA investigation into Bosch CP4 failures provides some interesting facts. Both Ford and Gm's answers to the NHTSA questions, they were both dragged into the investigation, show a much higher failure rate in the US than in Canada.

Bob's nice setup might help keep water out...but it does not address the issue of a fragile pump. Porsche recently called the Bosch CP4 HPFP in their Cayenne delicate...I have been calling it fragile for almost a year and a half...

Regards

Last edited by ricatic; 12-01-2012 at 10:15 AM.
ricatic is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 09:39 AM   #35 (permalink)

what is 460 scar fuel??
I always add powerservice additive when I fuel will that help?
you would think if bosch knows ther is a problem that thay would come up with a better pump to replace it??

Last edited by Cratos; 12-01-2012 at 09:42 AM.
Cratos is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos View Post
what is 460 scar fuel??
I always add powerservice additive when I fuel will that help?
you would think if bosch knows ther is a problem that thay would come up with a better pump to replace it??
Cratos

Diesel fuel lubricity is rated by it's scar number. The scar number is obtained by using a standardized test procedure. As I understand it, after the test is run, using metal to metal contact and only diesel fuel as a lubricant, the size of the scars or scratches are measured in microns...the smaller the scarring size... the lower the scar number...

Those are the basics...if anyone has a better technical description...please post...

Regards
Old 12-01-2012, 10:47 AM   #37 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricatic View Post

The NHTSA investigation into Bosch CP4 failures provides some interesting facts. Both Ford and Gm's answers to the NHTSA questions, they were both dragged into the investigation, show a much higher failure rate in the US than in Canada.
Technically correct. In the report mentioned.

The failure rate in the US is 1/3 higher.

Shocking..........

Until you understand the Canadian rate is 0.4/1000.

That makes the US rate 0.6/1000.

That is also the same report that tells us Bosch has a low lubricity package designed for these pumps.

Ford has specified that package in all their pumps.

Rick will tell us lots of stuff.

Point us to lots of threads.

But he will not directly say why his warranty was denied.

Titan tanks have had a reputation for allowing water in.

Likely due to improper installation.

The 3 failures I remember from members on this site were all water related.

1 was a poor Titan install.

1 was a new fuel station that had water in the tank.

1 was an alleged DEF contamination. ( that guy did not post much, take it with a grain of salt).

Purchased 5/26/11... 2011 F250 Lariat CC SWB 6.7, LineX Premium, Retrax Pro.... 53k traded 12/24/12
Stolen 5/15/11... 2002 F250 XLT Sport SC SWB 7.3 304xxx, LineX, Retrax
KJ Smith is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 10:57 AM   #38 (permalink)

Quote:
they were both dragged into the investigation, show a much higher failure rate in the US than in Canada.
As part of a "peer group" for the vehicle being investigated.

Not as part of the "investigation".

Purchased 5/26/11... 2011 F250 Lariat CC SWB 6.7, LineX Premium, Retrax Pro.... 53k traded 12/24/12
Old 12-01-2012, 11:22 AM   #39 (permalink)

Hey where is the document for checking the HPFP on the Ford Doctor site? Could not find it on the non registered area and I don't qualify for registration.
Stsmark is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #40 (permalink)

I used to add about a pint of 2 cycle oil to every fill up of my 7.3. The motor ran noticeably quieter. Could we add a little oil to our 6.7s or is that going to screw something else up?

MK160
2012 F350 Lariat, 4x4, CCSB, pale adobe/adobe, Chrome package with "chrome clad" wheels, Ultimate package, 20s, 3.55 ELD, bed liner, cable lock, 5th wheel prep. Now with Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer.

Gone but will never be forgotten: 2000 Ford F250 SD 4x4, Ext. Cab, SB, Weld wheels, Ford AIS, Edge Evo, automatic with 6.0 cooler, 4 inch downpipe and exhaust, Bilsteins, air bags, A-pillar trans temp and exhaust temp gauges. Putco Boss Bars. LanceLite 845 camper. JW Towmaster transmission, BFG 33x12.50x16.5 A/Ts. Powerslot rotors, EBC pads. 219k at time of trade-in. The best vehicle I've ever owned.
MK160 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #41 (permalink)

Guess i'll just add some extra powerservice from now on.
Old 12-01-2012, 02:27 PM   #42 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stsmark View Post
Hey where is the document for checking the HPFP on the Ford Doctor site? Could not find it on the non registered area and I don't qualify for registration.

67L_Fuel_System_revised.pdf

Old 12-01-2012, 04:25 PM   #43 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ Smith View Post
Technically correct. In the report mentioned.

The failure rate in the US is 1/3 higher.

Shocking..........

Until you understand the Canadian rate is 0.4/1000.

That makes the US rate 0.6/1000.

That is also the same report that tells us Bosch has a low lubricity package designed for these pumps.

Ford has specified that package in all their pumps.

Rick will tell us lots of stuff.

Point us to lots of threads.

But he will not directly say why his warranty was denied.

Titan tanks have had a reputation for allowing water in.

Likely due to improper installation.

The 3 failures I remember from members on this site were all water related.

1 was a poor Titan install.

1 was a new fuel station that had water in the tank.

1 was an alleged DEF contamination. ( that guy did not post much, take it with a grain of salt).
Mr Smith

Respectfully, I have never been afraid to tell anyone why my truck was not warrantied...The official reason for the warranty denial was "water in fuel'. This was in spite of overwhelming evidence provided by the Ford service center that actually fixed the truck showing zero water anywhere in the fuel system...

There is a big back story to the real reasons behind the denial. They are easily found all over the web.

You are correct in the numbers you provided...but 50% is 50%...the fact that Canadian fuel meets the Bosch minimum standards and the US fuel does not is very relevant. Keep in mind that 460 fuel is the lowest quality allowed. This assures anyone that runs US fuel that the pump is being is being operated in the engineering margin at best. The lack of a larger number of failures only shows that Bosch's engineering margin is barely adequate...if these were airplanes...they would be grounded...

Regards
Old 12-01-2012, 05:48 PM   #44 (permalink)

Quote:
Mr Smith

Respectfully, I have never been afraid to tell anyone why my truck was not warrantied...The official reason for the warranty denial was "water in fuel'.
I asked you several times, this is the first direct answer I have gotten.

I admire your persistence in your goals.

But I also think the direct , whole story serves you better.

The failure rate of these pumps is very low.

The 3 members, on this site, who have lost pumps, were water related.

In your case, you say the first dealer mis-diagnosed yours as water in the fuel.

Most of us would agree with you that the dealer personal are woefully under trained.

There are good ones, but they seem to be somewhat elusive.

You had your truck moved to a dealer you trusted, but it seems your fate had been sealed.

You say your dealer found no evidence of water contamination.

That is a shame.

Your description of how your truck acted when it shut down is very similar to the folks who have had water issues.

And, unfortunately, you had modified your fuel system.

I hope you have better luck in your future.

IIRC you swapped to a GM/Chevy product.

How is that treating you? Care to compare them to the Ford for us?

Old 12-01-2012, 07:09 PM   #45 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK160 View Post
I used to add about a pint of 2 cycle oil to every fill up of my 7.3. The motor ran noticeably quieter. Could we add a little oil to our 6.7s or is that going to screw something else up?

MK160
I ran into a guy with an older logging truck getting fuel one day. He was addiing 2 cycle oil so I asked. Apparently adding 1% (if I remember that part) gave him 5% more mileage. He had messed around some but 1% was the magic bang for the buck number. I don't know if he was right but think about the percentages if you do add.

Yesterday I was changing oil, kicking myself for not punching the filter, and thinking about the water drain on the other side. If the truck sits will water go to that low spot? Love my truck but sometimes it sits for a few days.
Nickelplated5s is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Closed Thread

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.