Knocking 6.7L! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-22-2012, 08:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Knocking 6.7L!

What does this sound like to my fellow forum readers. I get on I-95 with a load of cars headed to Florida doing 67mph, the engine begins to make a tapping/knocking noise I immediately pull over and the engine and truck has a violent shake before I shut it off. I get out check oil and look for leaks, no check engine light or any warning lights and now the truck won't crank back up. Could this be engine failure? I bought this truck brand new 6 months ago and I have 68k on the dash.
mag2dually is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

Luckily you are still under warranty, Pain in the butt that it is a holiday weekend, You probably won't get it looked at till Monday, but it will be under warranty

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-22-2012, 11:23 PM   #3 (permalink)

Motor is locked!! $55,000 and 6 months later and a locked up engine! I'm past the point of being pissed off!!!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:00 AM   #4 (permalink)

Is it covered?
Pimptorious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:19 AM   #5 (permalink)

Is this an '11 or '12? Could you have one of the engines with the bad valves? I hope warrenty takes care of you. I can only imagine how I'd feel if that happened.
Let us know what they find and how it works out.

2011 F250 CC Lariat Ultimate, Royal Red/Pale Adobe, 18" wheels, 3.31 locker, 172"WB factory Nav/Sync,etc.

Also have a 1997 F450 7.3 XLT with 14' box, Hypertech programmer
1987 F350 6.9 Banks Sidewinder, 12' box
Still going at 200K+
Traded:08 F250 CC 4x4 Lariat, 172"WB
Traded:01 F350 CC 4x4 Lariat, 172"WB
SCORPIO26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 12:32 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimptorious View Post
Is it covered?
I don't see why not
Old 11-23-2012, 12:35 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag2dually View Post
I don't see why not
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCORPIO26 View Post
Is this an '11 or '12? Could you have one of the engines with the bad valves? I hope warrenty takes care of you. I can only imagine how I'd feel if that happened.
Let us know what they find and how it works out.
It's an 11. If warranty does not cover this I can promise you it's gonna get ugly!!
Old 11-23-2012, 01:07 AM   #8 (permalink)

You've neither exceeded the 100,000 mile warranty or the 5 years, So the engine should be covered. So it will get fixed under warranty. But that doesn't help you on a holiday weekend. Or get your load delivered on time.

But it should give you time to make sure what ever Ford dealer it gets towed into is the best in the area for service work.

Is it a standard pickup or is a chassis cab truck? I'm wondering if it is the 400 horse version of the engine or the detuned version used on the chassis cab trucks.

Old 11-23-2012, 02:18 AM   #9 (permalink)

Dang crazy!!
mclarengts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2012, 09:00 AM   #10 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
I am wondering about it too. Sounds like the classic c&c defective valve catastrophic failure that is known by Ford. If so, there shouldnt remotely be any kind of 'fight' to get it fixed under warranty...
Old 11-23-2012, 11:04 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
I am wondering about it too. Sounds like the classic c&c defective valve catastrophic failure that is known by Ford. If so, there shouldnt remotely be any kind of 'fight' to get it fixed under warranty...
What's killing me is the fact that if its known then get the problem fixed instead of leaving paying customer stranded! I honestly don't want this truck anymore I would rather have a cummins! Seems to me that ford has failed yet again to produce a product that will last!
Old 11-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #12 (permalink)

Ford probably has 1/2 million 6.7L engines on the street. There have been a few failures. You can't expect Ford to recall every truck and rebuild all the engines, because there have been a few failures. It's not like 1 in 100 or even 1 in a 1000 trucks is having this problem.

Every manufacture has certain percentage of failures. It too bad that it's your truck that failed. Lets just hope they get it fixed quickly and get you back to work.

Old 11-23-2012, 01:08 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
Ford probably has 1/2 million 6.7L engines on the street. There have been a few failures. You can't expect Ford to recall every truck and rebuild all the engines, because there have been a few failures. It's not like 1 in 100 or even 1 in a 1000 trucks is having this problem.

Every manufacture has certain percentage of failures. It too bad that it's your truck that failed. Lets just hope they get it fixed quickly and get you back to work.
That's true. It just sucks, I use that truck to put food on the table and keep the heat on at my house and just knowing that when my wheels aren't turning I'm not earning makes me feel how I feel now.
Old 11-23-2012, 02:08 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mag2dually View Post
That's true. It just sucks, I use that truck to put food on the table and keep the heat on at my house and just knowing that when my wheels aren't turning I'm not earning makes me feel how I feel now.
Been there with a bad truck and I understand 100%. If trading it in makes you feel better - and for another brand. I am not going to stop you or talk you out of it. Your money... Read the Dodge and Chevy forums, I am member of those too as I have owned them as well. When you find the perfect truck that never breaks down let me know - whatever the brand.

I went back to Ford because of the reliability of this new motor. And compared to the 6.ohh (which I had three of) and the6.4L (which I avoided) this one is the best so far.

So, again, it is why you have a warranty. You will get a NEW motor and get to start out from '0' miles again. Enjoy your basically new vehicle.

It does suck that you are down, no question about it. Sucks even more that you are losing money because of it. What doesn't suck, you didn't have it for 101k miles or 5 yrs 1 month before it did it.

Vent away...
Old 11-23-2012, 02:31 PM   #15 (permalink)

Everything you said is true. I'm done venting just trying to figure out what I'm gonna do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.