losing fuel mileage - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2011, 11:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Angry losing fuel mileage

I put some new tires on my truck that are only 1 inch taller and about 3/4 inch wider (original 265/70/17) and new tires 285/70/17. Running at 80 psi. I did not think there would be very much difference at all. I lost 5.5 mpg on my drive to Houston on cruise control at 65 mph. Also been losing mpg steadily since the first time I hand-calculated at 21.7 mpg driving 65 on cruise control on the highway steady-state. Last mileage check at right under 11000 miles showed 18.5 hand-calculated with fuel right at edge of fill port. I hand-calculated 13.5 mpg with the new tires. Will take it in to a ford dealer up here to get them to adjust tire size in computer. If that doesn't stop the slide in mileage I am getting rid of this truck. With diesel prices ramping up and no end in sight, I cannot be driving this vehicle if it keeps getting worse and worse mileage like it has been doing.

Any one have any suggestions or experienced this same problem? Truck is box-stock except for ranch-hand bumper replacement on front and the new [very slightly larger] tires. If I knew this was going to happen, I would have: 1) not bought this truck to start with, and 2) would not have put bigger tires on it.

I am extremely disappointed. I think I may trade this truck off before putting many more miles on it. I definitely DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE BUYING ONE OF THESE NEW FORD TRUCKS!!!!!!!! Since first check at 3000 miles, it has lost 8.5 mpg.
2006 Dodge 2500, QCSB, 4wd, Cummins 5.9 TD, Firestone air bags, Mag-Hytek diffs/trans, FS2500, Airdog 150, Isspro, trans oil filtration, Garmon Stage 2 tranny, CoolHose, GDP intake, Garrett GT3782R, BD Diesel exh manifold
commtrd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-17-2011, 06:47 AM   #2 (permalink)

Before you do something rash, get the computer reset for the new tire size, not only is your speedo off, so is your ODOMETER, which will throw off your hand calculated mileage. Also, its winter and as such winter blend diesel is being sold at most stations in the US. Winter blend contiains kero. which has less heat capacity per galon than diesel. Therefore it takes more of it to produce the same amount of work as a gal. of diesel. Also in winter when the truck is cold, the computer employs a cold start strategy that will enrich the mixure for easier starting and warm up, this consumes additional fuel. Further the parasitic losses are higher in cold temps, the tranny, rear/front ends and crankcase oils are thick when cold and take more time to warm up to optimal temps, thus causing increased drag. There may be other things but thes will account for most of your mpg dropoff.
I've driven diesels for better than 20 years and during the winter all of them experienced lower mileage, but returned in the summer.
BTW the tire size increase will have an effect on your overall rear gearing, however slight, that will cause you to use slightly more fuel to accelerate from a dead stop.

2011 F250 CC Lariat Ultimate, Royal Red/Pale Adobe, 18" wheels, 3.31 locker, 172"WB factory Nav/Sync,etc.

Also have a 1997 F450 7.3 XLT with 14' box, Hypertech programmer
1987 F350 6.9 Banks Sidewinder, 12' box
Still going at 200K+
Traded:08 F250 CC 4x4 Lariat, 172"WB
Traded:01 F350 CC 4x4 Lariat, 172"WB
SCORPIO26 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 07:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

Scorpio summed it up well.
In the end your tire size may not be that much bigger but your tread most likely is very aggressive and that in itself maybe the problem after its all said and done.
netstalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 10:42 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hey hybrids have the same problem Cold air density vs MPG - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

Cold air is denser or thicker, which makes it harder to cut through.

Sometimes a fuel filter change will help if things are a little plugged up. Also do you warm the truck up?
socal2ks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 11:50 AM   #5 (permalink)

I would put the stock tires and front bumper back on and sell what you take off and live with what Ford had in mind. These new vehicles are very hard to self engineer, there not like the old ones.
RonD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
A gas Burner has same problems with gas,in the winter. ethanol blended= lost mpg.

Just let a gas burner warm up as well=Lost mpg

Put bigger tires on=Lost mpg

Why is it a manufacturer spends mega millions $ designing for best economy. and it takes someone a few hundred bucks to mess it all up?
2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC,LB, SRW 3.31 ELD.Vermillion Red.Bakflip HD,Spray in bedliner. Tint all windows.Edge Insite CTS. DDM Tuning,Hi/Low HID'S (H13,55W.Bull Bar. red grill lettering/stainless tailgate letters.AMI chrome locking fuel door.Plazma light bar.
2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC.LB SRW Oxford white. (FORD BUY BACK)!!!
2009 F-250 Superduty 6.4. CC.LB SRW Trade in.
2010 Ford Focus. All the bells and whistles. Red Wifey's econo box
1994 F-150.XLT.5.8 litre 351. E4ODE.Extended cab LB. 198,000 miles.Don't use a drop of oil.
Hdslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 06:15 PM   #7 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by socal2ks View Post
Hey hybrids have the same problem Cold air density vs MPG - GreenHybrid - Hybrid Cars

Cold air is denser or thicker, which makes it harder to cut through.

Sometimes a fuel filter change will help if things are a little plugged up. Also do you warm the truck up?

Interesting article - although he was complaining that he was only getting 49 MPG...
Old 01-17-2011, 10:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

You are not going to get 21 mpg consistently out of that truck, If your salesman promised you that kind of mileage, He lied to you. 13-15mpg is very acceptable mileage for 1 ton truck around town.

These trucks are not built for mileage, But to work. If you bought it for a haul the kids to soccer vehicle, You made a mistake and probably should sell it.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by commtrd View Post
I put some new tires on my truck that are only 1 inch taller and about 3/4 inch wider (original 265/70/17) and new tires 285/70/17. Running at 80 psi. I did not think there would be very much difference at all. I lost 5.5 mpg on my drive to Houston on cruise control at 65 mph. Also been losing mpg steadily since the first time I hand-calculated at 21.7 mpg driving 65 on cruise control on the highway steady-state. Last mileage check at right under 11000 miles showed 18.5 hand-calculated with fuel right at edge of fill port. I hand-calculated 13.5 mpg with the new tires. Will take it in to a ford dealer up here to get them to adjust tire size in computer. If that doesn't stop the slide in mileage I am getting rid of this truck. With diesel prices ramping up and no end in sight, I cannot be driving this vehicle if it keeps getting worse and worse mileage like it has been doing.

Any one have any suggestions or experienced this same problem? Truck is box-stock except for ranch-hand bumper replacement on front and the new [very slightly larger] tires. If I knew this was going to happen, I would have: 1) not bought this truck to start with, and 2) would not have put bigger tires on it.

I am extremely disappointed. I think I may trade this truck off before putting many more miles on it. I definitely DO NOT RECOMMEND ANYONE BUYING ONE OF THESE NEW FORD TRUCKS!!!!!!!! Since first check at 3000 miles, it has lost 8.5 mpg.

Really? Your disapointed? Did you buy the truck for a daily commuter or a work truck? Daily commuter it will never be economical. You put wider, taller tires on with maybe a softer compound, with winter blend fuel. What do you expect? You don't recomend buying a Ford diesel? What diesel do you recomend? The others are no better with mileage.
Old 01-18-2011, 03:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

If you were going with bigger tires the 3.55 gears might have helped keep the mpg steady, but would have been lower to begin with. I agree with whats already on here that most likely other factors are the culprits. These trucks are so heavy and so much power I don't see how a little bigger more aggressive tire would hurt it that much. Also as stated the first run might have been "new truck luck". Even 13.5 mpg isn't bad for a truck with all its capabilities. In comparison most luxury cars don't get much better mpg using premium gas.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
You are not going to get 21 mpg consistently out of that truck, If your salesman promised you that kind of mileage, He lied to you. 13-15mpg is very acceptable mileage for 1 ton truck around town.

These trucks are not built for mileage, But to work. If you bought it for a haul the kids to soccer vehicle, You made a mistake and probably should sell it.
X2

Its a great truck, you can't just Bash Ford for a truck that is used for the WRONG Application. I dont see any 6.7L's racing the LeMans 24hrs.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.