Low Fuel Pressure - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 11:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low Fuel Pressure

Just wanted to share my latest experience with you all:
mileage 52,000
current ambient temps 30 overnight-55 daytime

Last Friday I had my "low fuel pressure" warning come up on my in-dash LED display with the ok box next to it. Didn't think much of it so I hit ok and dismissed it. Happened again a couple more times the same day. I dismissed it each time. Came on again on Saturday a couple of times and each time I dismissed it. I tried googling my issue and I didn't find anything good to say the least. I was pretty worried. I didn't drive it at all Sunday. Took it to the dealership today and dropped it off. Got a call from them right at closing(left me voicemail) saying they ordered a part. I called them right back and they said it was just the low fuel pressure sensor. I am relieved for now. I have the premium ford ESP warranty with no deductible, so no out of pocket costs. I will report back after I get it back and let you all know any news.

2009 F250 Lariat - Black on Black - sold
SDtrucker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 07:33 AM   #2 (permalink)

SD I'll take a guess at feul filters
2012 6.7 DRW Lariat 4x4 crew, tuxedo metallic black with black leather interior. Factory installed gooseneck prep. 8,000 Miles and still satisfied! (Warranty items so far - Rear tailgate emblem, drivers exterior mirror, steering box, front tow hook)
Munfrobie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 08:42 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
Why would you ignore the warning so many times? I would have at least changed fuel filters.

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lincster View Post
Why would you ignore the warning so many times? I would have at least changed fuel filters.
It was not running any different. I mean not even the slightest sputter or hesitation. Nothing.
Plus, I get these check coolant mixture warnings the same way. They come on at specific intervals. My Dealer service rep told me that those are "drive through warnings". Meaning not serious and can be addressed at the next oil change. They come on right in between oil changes so that the service plan does not cover the cost of the test. Which is I think $65, so they can tell me nothing needs to be done. I got in a huge screaming match with my service rep about wether ford covers the test. They do not cover anything in regards to regular service including the coolant mixture test unless you are at your oil change interval. In the end, they covered it that time, because I raised so much hell. Now I just dismiss it until my next oil change and they do the test no problem. I think it's bull how ford sells you this service plan and makes you think that everything is covered but they forget to tell you the details.

Old 01-29-2013, 09:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

I know on the 6.0 low fuel pressure is a big deal. Not to flame you or anything but ignoring warning lights is what gets a lot of people in trouble with their trucks.
speedrcr78 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrcr78 View Post
I know on the 6.0 low fuel pressure is a big deal. Not to flame you or anything but ignoring warning lights is what gets a lot of people in trouble with their trucks.
Speed I hear ya. Trust me, if it was running any, I mean ANY different than normal, I would have taken it in immediately. But, absolutely no different. I am extremely careful with my truck.....ask my family
I did do an inspection to make sure it was nothing like fuel leaking or anything out of the ordinary underneath and around the engine. I also drained off the water out of the separator and nothing unusual. Very little if any water.

Old 01-29-2013, 12:31 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just because it is running right, doesn't mean something isn't going on. Waiting until it isn't running right, could end up costing you a whole lot more money.

Ignoring the check coolant warning is not good. Read in your owners manual on why this is important. Also has been discussed on this site thoroughly. Might want to search for fuel issues and coolant checks and start reading.

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
Old 01-31-2013, 10:17 AM   #8 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDtrucker View Post
Just wanted to share my latest experience with you all:
mileage 52,000
current ambient temps 30 overnight-55 daytime

Last Friday I had my "low fuel pressure" warning come up on my in-dash LED display with the ok box next to it. Didn't think much of it so I hit ok and dismissed it. Happened again a couple more times the same day. I dismissed it each time. Came on again on Saturday a couple of times and each time I dismissed it. I tried googling my issue and I didn't find anything good to say the least. I was pretty worried. I didn't drive it at all Sunday. Took it to the dealership today and dropped it off. Got a call from them right at closing(left me voicemail) saying they ordered a part. I called them right back and they said it was just the low fuel pressure sensor. I am relieved for now. I have the premium ford ESP warranty with no deductible, so no out of pocket costs. I will report back after I get it back and let you all know any news.
Hey SDtrucker,

I want to touch base with you and see how things are going with your truck. Is it back home with you now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munfrobie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedrcr78 View Post
I know on the 6.0 low fuel pressure is a big deal...
Quote:
Just because it is running right, doesn't mean something isn't going on. Waiting until it isn't running right, could end up costing you a whole lot more money.

Ignoring the check coolant warning is not good. Read in your owners manual on why this is important. Also has been discussed on this site thoroughly. Might want to search for fuel issues and coolant checks and start reading.
Thanks for offering up advice for SDtrucker, everyone!

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munfrobie View Post
Fuel filters would be the first step. If that doesn't do it, it gets bad quick.

Which is why all of you should be testing the fuel that goes into your trucks.
jtablerd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 02:30 PM   #10 (permalink)

Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post
Hey SDtrucker,

I want to touch base with you and see how things are going with your truck. Is it back home with you now?

Thanks for offering up advice for SDtrucker, everyone!

Crystal
Crystal thanks for checking and I would also like to thank everyone for their advise as well! Thanks lincster for telling me to read. I read the diesel supplement again and found some interesting stuff. I guess it's a case of no matter how times you read it, you always find something new.....

I do have my truck back. It was the low fuel pressure switch they say. They replaced it and the invoice says:
"Verified low fuel pressure light on. Perform KOEO test, found no codes. Check oasis, no related SMS or tab. Check connector and found fuel in sensor and connector biased. Replaced fuel pressure sensor and connector. Road rest and retest, ok at this time."
It was covered under warranty.
I also need to add that the diesel supplement states that the "low fuel pressure" indicator essentially means that its time to change the fuel filters. I brought this to my advisors attention and she was not aware of this fact(maybe the fuel filters were the only thing wrong and replacing the sensor was incorrect, but the indicator is not coming on anymore, so I may never know). I also asked if they changed the fuel filters and she said no.
Now I have an ongoing problem related to this and maybe you can help me crystal. I have the ford ESP premium maintenance plan set for 5k intervals. The problem is that the diesel supplement for my truck states that I should replace the fuel filters at a "minimum" of 22,500 miles and the dealer says that the ford scheduled maintenance plan for my truck that comes up in their oasis system says to change them at 20k, 60k, 100k and 120k. Since it comes up in their system like this, my expensive ESP plan does not cover the cost except at these specific intervals. Therefore if I want them replaced more frequently than their oasis system says, I have to pay for them out of pocket. I was told when I purchased this plan that I would not have to pay for anything except tires. That everything is covered including all scheduled maintenance. Hence the reason for the large purchase cost. My service advisor agrees with me and has talked to ESP to get a solution. She is waiting on a response from upper management.
I have called ford ESP myself and they tell me that everything is covered according to the owners manual and that the dealership just needs to call them to verify it. But, when the dealership calls them, they get another story. I'm lost.
I mean if everything is not covered and I was told that it was, why would I have bought this. Why would ford have a service plan that goes by a different service schedule than the owners manual? This is questionable to me and everyone that I have spoken to at the dealerships and still no solution.

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?

Old 08-11-2014, 04:20 PM   #11 (permalink)

I have a friend who is a diesel mechanic at ford. He told me if u can afford to change the filters every other oil change to do that. I currently change the oil 5k Miles. He said like anything they will run to 20k but to prevent any problems closer to that 20K mark he replaces them at 10k or 15k. This is a friend who makes no money off my truck unless there is a mechanical issue and that would still be under warranty.

My truck is currently at the dealership for the Low Fuel Pressure warning, I also got the DPF Overloaded alert. Checked DPF, was at 54%. and then also got an Engine Power Reduced Warning right before the truck died out. I was lucky enough to get the truck off the side of the road and waited for a tow truck. I will keep you all updated as to when and what it is to fix it.

My truck is currently 4k past the last fuel filter change.
ia2004anderson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2014, 06:07 PM   #12 (permalink)
Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia2004anderson View Post
I have a friend who is a diesel mechanic at ford. He told me if u can afford to change the filters every other oil change to do that. I currently change the oil 5k Miles. He said like anything they will run to 20k but to prevent any problems closer to that 20K mark he replaces them at 10k or 15k. This is a friend who makes no money off my truck unless there is a mechanical issue and that would still be under warranty.

My truck is currently at the dealership for the Low Fuel Pressure warning, I also got the DPF Overloaded alert. Checked DPF, was at 54%. and then also got an Engine Power Reduced Warning right before the truck died out. I was lucky enough to get the truck off the side of the road and waited for a tow truck. I will keep you all updated as to when and what it is to fix it.

My truck is currently 4k past the last fuel filter change.

Please keep up in touch. These issues were the truck dies should be brought out into the open to learn how to deal with it all.
2011 F350 Lariat DK.Blue/Silver,Black Leather Crew Cab,Short Box SRW. Supplemental Heater,3.55 ELD, Remote Starter. Used for hauling 16ft x 8.5ft. Work Trailer , 8ft. Fisher Plow, Lance 820 truck camper for those days I can get away.
Captcaper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2014, 10:58 AM   #13 (permalink)

I spoke with the dealership yesterday at close of business. They stated that they cleared the codes and couldn't get it to happen again. They are planning road tests today. My guess may be dirt or some type of material trapped in a screen in the fuel tank. It could have come loose while bouncing down the road on the tow truck. I hope they can get it to act up again so I don't get stranded on the highway again.

Last edited by ia2004anderson; 08-12-2014 at 10:59 AM. Reason: spelling mistake.
Old 08-12-2014, 03:58 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ia2004anderson View Post

Sounds like to me that you need to hook up to about 15000lbs and tow for 200 miles or so.
That will burn all that crap out of your DPF and clean everything up.

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
Old 08-13-2014, 09:16 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Sounds like to me that you need to hook up to about 15000lbs and tow for 200 miles or so.
That will burn all that crap out of your DPF and clean everything up.
How do you know that I don't haul around 15k every day? This isn't a DPF issue. It gave me the warning right before the low fuel pressure warning and not again. My DPF was ONLY SHOWING 54%. The dealership has put 150 miles on it without another warning or issue and will continue to road test today.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.