The Diesel Stop banner

Low Fuel Pressure & Reduced Engine Power after fuel filter change

43K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  FordService 
#1 · (Edited)
I had my fuel filters changed at the dealership today on my '15, and then I bought fuel and headed home (70 miles). About half way home I got a "Low Fuel Pressure" message and a little while after that "Reduced Engine Power" along with the check engine light.

I pulled over to see if they did something like leave the drain open, thinking it might be sucking air. Of course it was dark and I could not see anything. However I did hear a buzzing sound and could feel a vibration when I touched the fuel line going into the top of engine filter.

While it is possible I got bad fuel, I suspect they did something wrong installing the filters. Even after cycling the fuel pump multiple times they had a hard time getting it started afterwards; I think they finally disconnected the top fuel line to bleed the air out.

I continued home and made it, but not sure what to do now; its 70 miles back to the dealer.

What is the most likely problem? Improper fuel filter installation or bad fuel?

Should I pull the filters in the morning see if there is something obvious like an out-of-place gasket? If so, top or bottom filter?

Is this a tow truck affair or should I drive 70 miles back to the dealer?

What the heck is the buzzing sound?

Sorry about all the questions, just trying to figure out what to do.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
If it ran while coming from dealers I bet the filter change went fine..its when you got fuel I'm betting. It is either bad fuel or it gelled up from the cold if your getting what were getting today.
The filters will clog with gelled fuel.

#3 ·
I've had the same issues as you describe. All directly related to the fuel system not being primed correctly. To prime cycle the key to the On position, listen for the pump to run. Wait until the pump stops running approximately 30 seconds. Do this at least 6 times and then stop after you don't hear any weird noises. The "buzzing" noise at the upper filter is air in the system.

This 6.7L fuel system is VERY picky about air.

#4 ·
Thanks guys! Will the CEL, “Low Fuel Pressure” and “Reduced Engine Power” clear on their own if I solve the filter issue?

At this point I’m inclined to call the dealer and have them send a tow truck to clean up their mess. Problem is it will cost me at least a day of my time, probably a rental, a real pain in the rear.

#6 ·
Had the same problem after a fuel filter change on our truck. Youtube video from a ford tech said check to make sure the filter housing under the truck was tight. Turns out we had a bad o-ring from napa, it was significantly thinner than the ford o-ring. Put the old one back in and good to go.

#9 ·
Perfect example of why I buy only OEM parts.

#7 · (Edited)
Update: I took the truck back into the dealer (70 miles); it ran fine for about half way then the "low fuel pressure" came back in along with fuel pump whining; never got the "reduced power again"; but the CEL remained on.

I parked it right at the head of the hour+ long quick lube line and told them they needed to take a look at it; I thought the bottom filter had a bad gasket or was loose. The tech popped the line off the top filter, bled the air and announced it good to go. I took it for a short ride, the CEL and messages had indeed cleared but the fuel pump was still whining. I took it back to the head of the line and asked them to try again. This time they took it into the main shop and I watched a couple of mechanics crawl under it. They brought it back and said the cap on the bottom filter was not tight; imagine that.

In any case, the truck is running fine now. I just have to remember to take an extended test drive before leaving for home whenever I have the filters changed on the service truck. I will be changing the oil and filters myself on my personal truck.

Thanks for all the advice.

PS: Crystal popped up on "the other" forum and offered to document this. I declined, deciding to let it go this time; this dealer is usually really good; they have excellent mechanics and work on hundreds of diesel, field trucks. Thanks Crystal for your support.

Scott

#10 ·
... PS: Crystal popped up on "the other" forum and offered to document this. I declined, deciding to let it go this time; this dealer is usually really good; they have excellent mechanics and work on hundreds of diesel, field trucks. Thanks Crystal for your support.

Scott
You're welcome, Scott! We're here if you need us; don't hesitate to reach out.

Nick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.