Low fuel pressure and reduced engine power - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2012, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low fuel pressure and reduced engine power

My truck broke down up in Maine today. It was -20f this morning. At 2pm we left our camp it was 13f and started our 3hr trip home. At start up the truck had an odd smell. Within 3 miles I got a "Low fuel pressure" warning, and after another couple miles got "reduced engine power". The power was greatly reduced to the point I could only do 30mph on flats and 10 mph on hills. I limped the truck to a Maine Ford dealer in Skowhegan where it is currently sitting waiting for the shop to open.
The truck is 2011 F350 Diesel with 8000 miles.

I googled this issue and see some people needed the low pressure fuel pump replaced.
Anyone have any ideas?
Please help. I live 3hrs away from the dealer in Maine.
NH_Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #2 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Stroker View Post
My truck broke down up in Maine today. It was -20f this morning. At 2pm we left our camp it was 13f and started our 3hr trip home. At start up the truck had an odd smell. Within 3 miles I got a "Low fuel pressure" warning, and after another couple miles got "reduced engine power". The power was greatly reduced to the point I could only do 30mph on flats and 10 mph on hills. I limped the truck to a Maine Ford dealer in Skowhegan where it is currently sitting waiting for the shop to open.
The truck is 2011 F350 Diesel with 8000 miles.

I googled this issue and see some people needed the low pressure fuel pump replaced.
Anyone have any ideas?
Please help. I live 3hrs away from the dealer in Maine.
Did you get fuel either just before shutting down the night before or first thing in the morning? You might have gotten some bad fuel or water. Did you drain the HFCM and take a look at what came out?

You also *could* have gelled the fuel at -20F. I assume that since you are in the NE that the fuel stations there treat the fuel to handle those kind of temps without needing additives. (I always run them anyways and I live in a warm all the time state so I don't have to deal with that on a day-to-day basis.

AND there is always the possibility that some sensor, fuel line, or the Fuel Pump failed and it needs replacing - assuming no fuel contamination, this should be covered by warranty.

It is tough to do a not in front of you diagnoses - please let us know what it turns out to be, so we can all learn!
Old 01-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #3 (permalink)

Dak,

Thanks for your input. I filled up in NH on Friday. Treated the tank as I usually do with Stanadyne and drove to Maine. The last time I drained the filter was back in the fall. When the code triggered I did stop and bought some Power service (white bottle) in hopes of it fixing the issue. No such luck.

I've owned 3 VW diesels and never gelled. I'm thinking this is another issue. Since the truck would run but power was greatly reduced. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong.

I'll be talking to the garage Monday and will let you know the issue. Hopefully, this will be a warranty issue. I do save my fuel receipts just in case I got bad fuel.
NH_Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Dak

I figured you had tried that... But wanted to make sure. For my non-tech brain it is all I could think of and it looked like no one else was chiming in.

After the obvious is checked, you will most likely need it hooked up to a computer to get some codes to investigate further.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

DEF ok? A little water in fuel separator froze on bottom? Just too damn cold?
2000 Excursion V-10 (sold)
Bote Loco is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2012, 05:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Results: Ford garage said Ice and water in fuel filter. They drained water and added PS 911 to filter and tank. They said it now runs fine. Just a bad batch of fuel. I think I'm going to switch from Stanadyne back to Power Service also.

Now to visit the Shell station that sold me the fuel and try to get reimbursed for the repairs.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

What Shell station? I typically fill up at the Kingston, NH or Epping, NH stations. After reading your posts, makes me think twice about filling up there again.
nhsuperduty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 12:48 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Stroker View Post
Results: Ford garage said Ice and water in fuel filter. They drained water and added PS 911 to filter and tank. They said it now runs fine. Just a bad batch of fuel. I think I'm going to switch from Stanadyne back to Power Service also.

Now to visit the Shell station that sold me the fuel and try to get reimbursed for the repairs.
A FORD DEALER added diesel service 911........ I just read on another forum that this stuff will emulsizy water due to it being alcohol based and carry water into the HPFP system. I believe it states in the diesel supplment not to use alcohol base additives not sure though. Get your work order reciept stating what they done
hay is for horses is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 01:16 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hay is for horses View Post
A FORD DEALER added diesel service 911........ I just read on another forum that this stuff will emulsizy water due to it being alcohol based and carry water into the HPFP system. I believe it states in the diesel supplment not to use alcohol base additives not sure though. Get your work order reciept stating what they done
I agree 100%. Manual states no alcohol additives. Be you have it in writing that they added this. Tech on FTE just posted to NEVER add 911.
cford716 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 06:16 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhsuperduty View Post
What Shell station? I typically fill up at the Kingston, NH or Epping, NH stations. After reading your posts, makes me think twice about filling up there again.
NHsuperduty I used the Shell on RT108 in Stratham.
Your probably fine at Kingston and Epping as they both cater to 18 wheelers with dedicated high volume pumps. They are also on busy trucking routes and probably go thru a lot of fuel. The one I used just had one pump available for diesel.

I'll look into the PS 911 issue.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #11 (permalink)

According to Power Service website, 911 product contains a non-harmful type of alcohol.

3. Do Power Service diesel additives contain alcohol?

The only product manufactured by Power Service that contains the type of non-harmful alcohols recommended by engine manufacturers for removal of water is Power Service Diesel 911. Diesel 911, as its name implies, is used to solve the fuel emergencies diesel engine operators most commonly encounter. In winter, Diesel 911 reliquefies gelled fuel and de-ices frozen fuel-filters in a matter of minutes, eliminating the need for a tow truck. Diesel 911 also removes water from the fuel system to prevent icing problems and extend the life of fuel-filters, fuel injection pumps and fuel injectors.
No other Power Service product contains any alcohols of any kind, including Power Service Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost and Diesel Kleen +Cetane Boost.
Old 01-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #12 (permalink)

I suspect gelled fuel or clogged filters. Most likely gelled fuel.
Gofaster23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #13 (permalink)

"non harmful alcohols" probably means that there is alcohol
non-harmful means "non harmful to the engine
this does not mean that there is NO alcohol
if there is alcohol (butanol) it can be an emulsifier.
Senix and others have said it: Motorcraft Cetane booster or w/anti-gel is the additive to use
i am paying <7.00 a bottle at my dealer, this is less than 1.75 per tank, i keep 2-3 bottles in the fifth wheel and a couple bottles in the truck. i cannot see using anything else.

In North America, most states adopt ASTM D975 as their diesel fuel standard and the minimum cetane number is set at 40, with typical values in the 42-45 range. from what I've read the new diesel engines are designed for 55 cetane fuel
frank faucheux is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2012, 05:43 PM   #14 (permalink)
Dak

Looks like I was correct in suspecting bad or water in fuel. Even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then.

--

What did the repair cost and let us know if you get shell to pay for it...
Old 01-17-2012, 07:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank faucheux View Post
. from what I've read the new diesel engines are designed for 55 cetane fuel

Do you remember where you saw that?

It would make no sense to design for a fuel that is not available.

You would be setting yourself up for failure from the get go.

Not something any manufacturer would want to do.

Purchased 5/26/11... 2011 F250 Lariat CC SWB 6.7, LineX Premium, Retrax Pro.... 53k traded 12/24/12
Stolen 5/15/11... 2002 F250 XLT Sport SC SWB 7.3 304xxx, LineX, Retrax
KJ Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.