The Diesel Stop banner

Mexico Diesel Effects On Emissions System Update

9K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  jimmy 
#1 ·
For almost 8 years I have been gathering data on the behavior of diesel pickups while in Mexico, where most of the diesel fuel is still LSD (Low Sulfur Diesel), up to 500 ppm. Unfortunately, ULSD (Ultr-Low-Sulfur-Diesel), 15 ppm, is available only in border cities/towns, the Northern Baja, Mexico City, and Monterrey.

My present database (November 2015) contains detailed information about the effects of Mexican LSD on the emissions systems of Ford Power Strokes, Dodge RAMs, and GM Duramax from 2007.5 through the 2015 model years.

With respect to the Ford Power Stroke, the emissions systems for all model years up to and including 2014 have been very tolerant of the higher sulfur levels in Mexican fuel. I have reports of engine lights on ocassionally for varying lengths of time, but no reports of any truck entering speed limitation. All of that changed earlier this year, and that is why I am doing this post. Owners of 2015 Powerstrokes, planning to take them in to Mexico for the Snowbird season, need to read the following:

In January of 2015 the owner of a 2015 Ford F350 Power Stroke joined a caravan tour into the Baja. As expected, his truck exhibited NO symptoms of temporary sulfur poisoning of the emissions system while he was towing his fifth wheel trailer. This is because towing a heavy trailer, or carrying a camper in the truck bed, provides sufficient load to keep exhaust gas temperatures elevated high enough to prevent the deposit of sulfur compounds in the emissions system. (This is also true for late model Dodge and GM diesel powered pickups).

In this specific case though, the owner left the caravan while in the Los Cabos area and traveled to La Paz, where he booked in to an RV park, unhooked his trailer, and began driving the truck with no tow load. Within a week or so, his truck went in to speed limitation, and eventually limp mode. He contacted the local Ford dealer in La Paz and discovered that there is NO ability to service late model Ford Powerstrokes in Mexico. He then contacted a dealership in the U.S., which canceled his warranty when it was discovered that he was in Mexico.

At that stage he researched the problem on line and contacted me, but it was too late to assist due to the truck being in limp mode. The only way to clear the sulfur compounds from the emissions system, and return the truck to normal operation, would be to run a Service Regeneration.

This owner then made the decision to import a delete kit in to Mexico, and within two weeks he had removed the entire factory emissions system and installed the delete kit, at which point he was able to get the truck running normally again.

The HUGE problem with this case, is that there is no way to know whether this single owner's experience is indicative of a larger 2015 model year issue that will affect other owners driving on Mexican diesel, or whether his truck suffered a completely unrelated emissions system component failure that put his truck in to limp mode.

Erring on the side of caution I decided to do this posting, and to make a recommendation based on my extensive experience with similar problems on GM duramax post-2012 models. In conjunction with a 2015 Ford Powerstroke owner, I have confirmed that the latest model Edge Tuner CT2, can force a regeneration on the 2015 Powerstroke. I am therefore recommending that any 2015 Powerstroke owner planning to drive in Mexico using Mexican diesel should purchase and carry an Edge CT2 Tuner. (During the purchase, owners should confirm that the CT2 they are buying can initiate a regeneration cycle, and PLEASE NOTE that I do not work for Edge and I receive no compensation for this recommendation).

Once in Mexico, if or when the engine light or other DEF or emissions related message shows, a regeneration should be initiated, especially if there is warning of speed limitation. Following the regeneration, NOX emissions can be expected to return to normal range for long enough to cancel the emissions fault codes. If the Power Stroke behaves under these conditions the same as the GM Duramax post-2013, the engine light could remain on for up to 30 miles and/or three engine warm-ups, but will extinguish by itself.

Please note that I have insufficient information at this time to accurately describe the process because it is presently at the stage of a “Beta Test”. I would have preferred to witness the process myself on a 2015 Power Stroke in Mexico but that hasn't been possible to do so. For this reason, it would be of great assistance to me, and to owners of late model Power Strokes, if owners could share their Mexico experiences this season if they have 2015 or later vehicles. There is every reason to believe, based on extensive observation of 2013 and later Duramax powered trucks, that the Edge CT2 will, via its regeneration function, prevent any major sulfur-in-fuel problem from developing, but I need further confirmation before becoming 100% confident.

Feel free to contact me if you have additional information, either via a private message, or directly to whitetmp@aol.com

See less See more
Reactions: NYB
#2 ·
The Edge CTS and CTS2 have the capabilities to do a manual regen also. One might not need the more expensive tuner model.

#3 ·
Go tooling around in Mexico with a late model pick up and your probably more likely to have a problem being kidnapped, held for ransom, get your head cut off or picking up algae and water. BTW all tourist town are controlled the cartels, so your money ends up in their pockets.
Wanna snowbird, try Florida.

#4 ·
Ted, that's a great post. Thank you.

I'm not a fan of deleting or defeating any emissions equipment, so your suggested solution of forcing a regen is useful. And if travelling through Mexico, there is a good argument for deleting as well, based on available fuel supply.

The Ford 6.7L Powerstroke engine is built by Mexicans, exclusively in Mexico, and no where else on earth, and yet this same engine cannot be serviced in Mexico, nor even adequately fueled in Mexico. Such an irony.

#5 · (Edited)
Very ironic, but I could imagine export versions are available for sale in Mexico.
I've sold F550 parts to a local company that builds fire trucks. Most of these trucks are in Central and South America, and were built for use with High Sulfur Diesel. Many were missing plenty of the usual emissions parts as well, from the factory.

#6 · (Edited)
Great info Ted, thanks.
I'm in the process of shopping for a new(er) truck for both work and truck camper hauling. As I annually travel to Baja Sur (as the Bob Segar fan obviously never has..), this is great info. I'd love to see the database you speak of in the first post. Do you have it posted elsewhere?
Thanks again.

#7 ·
Reactions: badbart
#9 ·
Question ------ Couldn't running extra large amounts of a good cetane improving diesel fuel additive help "some" in alleviating this problem? I know it does not eliminate the extra sulfur in the fuel but it would help a more complete and hotter combustion process wouldn't it?

#13 ·
Very likely the cetane of the Mexican fuel is greater than the ULSD fuel north of border and should have better lubricity from higher sulfur. The issue for sulfur is increased emissions, particularly particulate matter (soot). Also some of the catalysts have lesser lifespan. DPF is not affected too much. This is info from a report I read on effects of sulfur in diesel.
The EGR system may have more issues with greater soot loading but it seems from this thread that milages of vehicles operated down there may not be high so that may not have cropped up yet.

#10 ·
We just returned from Mexico, spent 7 weeks on various beach RV Parks. Too the many who don't think its not safe your wrong. The RV parks we were in were all Gringos from US They even have Sams Clubs and Costco everywhere.
Our 2015 F450 had no problems with Mexican Fuel, I use Cetane Boost and did notice more frequent Regens.

#11 · (Edited)
It reminds me of a joke:

"Whats the last words you hear before a dog bites you?"

"Don't worry Mister my dog don't bite."

Although it was no joke for those two poor Aussie kids whose bodies were recently found in their charred van.

As for the fuel, did you ever happen to research the sulphur content? Did any of your fellow RV'ers ever try to search it out?

I think they have it in the northern states, around Mexico City and in Northern Baja. Southern Baja still only has LSD.

Did any pumps display "Bajo Azufre"?

#12 · (Edited)
Hey Ted,
I am in the market for a crew cab and I have lived in Mexico with my wife and kids for the last 3.5 years ( amazingly enough we still have our heads attached) and I am looking at the Mexican Ford F250.
I know there was a thread on here about a guy buying one in Mazatlan ( it got closed for some reason) and it having no emission components on it to speak of and he loved it.
I had stopped into a dealer and they told me no issues for the diesel here but that was last year.
I am wondering if you have any info from current owners with Mexican Fords.
I am pretty sure it will be my go to vehicle by the end of the year..... nice to pull a panga and a trailer with the potential for long hauls with my family and for work.
Saludos

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.