My DEF tank is getting replaced... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-19-2010, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Send a message via AIM to SirFer
My DEF tank is getting replaced...

Hey all,

My check engine light came on last night while I was driving. Luckily, I was on my way to my girlfriend's house and she lives near my nearest Ford dealer, so I called and made an appointment for this morning. She met me at the dealer and I left my truck at the night drop.

Gave them 4 hours this morning then called and got the rundown. A Ford engineer called them this morning shortly after they entered the repair order and told them that he had already shipped out a new DEF tank. Nobody at the dealer had called this Ford engineer and neither had I so they concluded that Ford must be keeping an eye out for '11 VIN's so they can get their task force on any problems ASAP. Apparently the Ford engineer told them that a ton of people have been accidentally putting diesel or diesel additives into the DEF tank and the tanks go bad and aren't able to seal properly. That's been their biggest cause for check engine lights so far.

What's weird is that I got my DEF refilled by another dealer over 2,000 miles ago and haven't been near the DEF port since. I'm well aware that diesel goes into one port and DEF goes into the other so I've never even opened the DEF port. I've never let anyone else fuel my truck so I have no idea what it could be.

Whatever code it was throwing didn't tell them anything so they're going along with the Ford engineer. They also sent him a sample from my DEF tank to be checked and see what's in it.

Personally, I don't think that's the problem, but we'll find out on Monday hopefully. The parts should be in Monday and hopefully get installed the same day so I'll report back. Not sure when I'll get the results of the test of what was in my DEF tank but I'll report back on that too.

Just figured I'd see if anyone else has experienced anything similar and if not I guess I'm the guinea pig so I'll be sure to update as I find out more.

For now I'm just driving around with the check engine light on, the truck drives fine and if it weren't for the light I wouldn't think anything was wrong so we'll see...
SirFer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for the heads up. I have heard of DEF sensors going bad, but this is the first I have heard of a tank going bad. Would have thought if it didn't leak on the ground, it was fine, but that shows what I know. Keep us posted please!

2001 F-250 CC Lariat, LB, 4x4. 205K and Traded in

1996 F-250 XLT Regular Cab, 4x4, 187K. Bartered for construction work.

2010 Cougar 32RLB 5th Wheel - Traded in 1/22/11

2011 Road Warrior 30C Titanium Edition (SOLD)
dsroka80504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-19-2010, 09:45 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have never heard of any manufactures computer working like that. Recalls even for limited vins is found when entered in the computer by the dealer
Coueshunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2010, 06:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

Brought my truck in today and they're going to work on it tomorrow. They're taking a sample out of my DEF tank but not sending it off now, they're basically just doing a visual inspection to make sure it looks like DEF just to double check that that's not the problem. They believe me that nothing but DEF has ever gone in there so it's all good.

Hopefully replacing the tank will fix the problem and get it all cleared up. I'll be sure to report back as soon as I hear tomorrow about whether it worked or not.
Old 11-23-2010, 08:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

if it was something in the tank would it be in the lines too?
chunkysoup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-24-2010, 07:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunkysoup View Post
if it was something in the tank would it be in the lines too?
I would assume so but he only mentioned the tank. I'm not entirely convinced that it's a DEF problem at all anyways, so I guess we'll find out later this afternoon when they give me a call and let me know how it went.

I'll be sure to report back.
Old 11-24-2010, 09:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
SirFer - I was going to keep this to myself, but to be honest with you - By what you are describing, I don't see it being the case either. (I hope it is as you would get your truck back fixed and we would know there are some defective DEF tanks out there)

If the tank got contaminated they should be replaced/cleaning alot more than just the tank. The tank could probably be "cleaned". UNLESS, there is something in the tank that DEF likes to eat away at that causes the inside to get coated... e.g., Ford had to change a seal or a piece that was inside the tank (is there a DEF pump in the tank? I know there is obviously a pickup tube). Howeer, I would still see a need to change lines, but I am not a Ford Engineer or a master tech. If the lines are metal then maybe they will get flushed/cleaned...
Old 11-25-2010, 07:09 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hadn't heard so I finally called yesterday afternoon and the truck won't be done until Friday. Apparently they didn't even put anything in it yet, it's just taken apart sitting in pieces pretty much. Kinda scary because I don't know how much they had to take apart but apparently it took quite a while because I dropped it off Tuesday afternoon and they had all day yesterday to work on it..

I'm home in Florida and the truck is in North Carolina so my girlfriend was going to pick it up for me yesterday but she'll be down here tomorrow morning so her parents are going to pick it up for me. Guess I'll just have to get the service adviser to try and explain what all they did and whether or not it worked over the phone when he calls to say it's done.

He mentioned that there were seals in the DEF tank that could break down if anything other than DEF was introduced, like diesel or diesel additives and that apparently a lot of people have been accidentally putting other things in the DEF tank and that's what's happening.

If that's the case then I guess maybe it is possible to flush out the rest of the system but who knows. It's times like these I wish I was a Ford Engineer just so I had a better idea of what was going on. These trucks are still so new that I'm pretty much the guinea pig at this dealer.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:17 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dak

Good luck and let us know. Also good to know that there are special seals that can only be exposed to DEF... Not that I plan on putting anything else in the tank but DEF.

Although only knowing a little bit about chemistry, it is hard to believe that a seal can survive DEF, but not diesel fuel. Biodiesel is corrosive, so I could see Bio eating through a seal.
Old 11-25-2010, 08:13 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirFer View Post
It's times like these I wish I was a Ford Engineer just so I had a better idea of what was going on..
No you don't. I have spoken with quite a few engineers over the years and it's like talking in a completely different language. Don't get me wrong, they were all nice people but they have a vernacular that is above most of us and most have trouble bringing conversations to layman's terms. I am sure many engineers have the opposite perspective. Also, when it comes to things like engine controls and electronics the engineers do not use a lot of the same terminology and diagnostic interfaces that "we" do. It's mostly all back-end and more complex than most of us would imagine.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-30-2010, 07:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

My girlfriend's parents picked my truck up on Friday. The service adviser who called me wasn't the one I'd been working with because he was still out of town for Thanksgiving.

As such, I didn't get to speak with the service adviser who knew what was going on or with the technician that actually worked on my truck.

The warranty paperwork lady was also out of town so the paperwork is being mailed to me and I won't be back at my house to get it for a while now.

I can say though, that the fix appears to have worked. The check engine light is gone so that's good. It drives just fine and while it was in there I also had them look at my driver's door seal because the wind noise at over 60mph was pretty bad, that appears to be fixed too.

When I get the paperwork hopefully it'll go into more detail on what was wrong and what was done to fix it and I'll report back or call and talk to the service adviser to get a better idea so I can let everyone here know.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.