The Diesel Stop banner

My turn...intermittent vibration w cruise @ 75mph

43K views 38 replies 26 participants last post by  Greg687 
#1 ·
So the wife and I are on are first trip w the new truck w/o the trailer. We find our self with an intermittent vibration coming thru the lower seat back. While this usually suggests rear tires that need to be balance, I don't believe this is the case. i stopped ina town and had a tire dealer check the balance of the tires and all was ok. What is odd to me is that this happens on smooth roads with the cruise on. it will vibrate and shakes pretty good, then stops. It doesn't doesn't seemto be a tire thing, and the speed and load doesn't seem to be changing. If it was tires I would think it would get even worse at higher speeds, but we don't notice it. Its almost like an on / off rumble.

Thoughts?

Doug

#2 ·
My guess: Drive-shaft balancing/warp or U-Joint issue. You may be one of the unlucky fellows that ended up with a marginal drive-shaft - or possibly a bad U-Joint. The reason this may only appear with cruise is that the cruise control has a very subtle/fine regulation of the throttle causing small changes in load on the shaft - like times where it neither accelerates nor decelerates. That is most likely the point where the vibration occurs.

Next time this occurs, you "override" the cruise by applying a slight increase in acceleration. If the vibration stops then release the accelerator and wait for the speed to re-stabilize reaching that neither/nor state to see if the vibration resumes.

#3 ·
Don't rule out tire problem or tire imbalance yet.
I chased a vibration on my f350 and tires were checked for balance twice. They would put them on machine and run the cycle and it would stop and show zeroes on the needed weight screen.
The problem was just as you describe, a cyclic vibration that was not cooling fan or anything other thing related other than it occurred at 71-77mph. Never through steering wheel.
The tire store sent me to one of their locations with the road force balancer machine. They balanced rears and it fixed it for a while. About 8K miles later it returned and the tire had a visible tread "walk" in it. The tread had one spot where it walked right -left. That tire was replaced and it was smooth again afterwards with regular balance.

#4 ·
I've got the same type of issue with my truck. I do have a 6" 4link lift and 37s on the truck and I get a steady vibration while driving at 55-70mph. And it gets worse when accelerating 65mph+. My tires are balanced with powder inside the tires. And the vibration is felt thru the whole truck. I've had passengers in the back seat complain of their legs shaking while cruising down a smooth highway.
Do you guys think it's a tire issue or a driveshaft issue??

Mechanic at Ford said it was because of pinion angle. But the blocks that came with my lift are tapered to avoid that

#8 ·
So the wife and I are on are first trip w the new truck w/o the trailer. We find our self with an intermittent vibration coming thru the lower seat back. While this usually suggests rear tires that need to be balance, I don't believe this is the case. i stopped ina town and had a tire dealer check the balance of the tires and all was ok. What is odd to me is that this happens on smooth roads with the cruise on. it will vibrate and shakes pretty good, then stops. It doesn't doesn't seemto be a tire thing, and the speed and load doesn't seem to be changing. If it was tires I would think it would get even worse at higher speeds, but we don't notice it. Its almost like an on / off rumble.
I have the EXACT same symptoms!

I bought a 2012 F250 with 20" rims 2 weeks ago from Greenway Ford in Orlando. I live 150 miles south of the dealer in Stuart, Florida. During my initial test drive, I encountered the same scenario you described above, but it started at 65 mph. The service manager assured me the tires just needed balancing, so I signed the contract and before taking delivery of the truck, the wheels were balanced. We took a test drive at 65 mph and all was well, so I headed home.

Once I hit the turnpike and got up to a cruising speed of 75 mph, the vibration / shaking started again. Like you, it was most noticeable on a smooth road at a constant speed. The shaking faded in & out, with a few seconds of smooth ride, followed by a minute or two of shaking.

When I returned home, I took the truck to a local tire shop that preps all of my race cars. The tires were road forced and it did not fix the problem. It is worth noting the Michelins needed upwards of 9 ounces of weight to balance and two tires needed to be reset multiple times on the rims for them to pass road force. The ride was definiately smoother after this, but it did not fix the problem.

I took the truck back to Orlando and the dealer replaced all 4 tires, then re-balanced them. We took a test drive and the problem persisted. Next, we traded my rims and tires for an identical set on another new truck. Took a test drive and the vibration was worse, so they re-balanced the new set and it was a little better. Still, the problem was not fixed.

Out of curiosity, I asked if we could test drive another F250 on the lot. When we got up above 70 mph, the shaking began with this truck as well. At this point, we've ruled out rims and tires. There is something else wrong in the engineering of this truck, whether it be the drive train or suspension.

I have read on other forums that changing the drive shaft and U-joints had no effect. I'm thinking about trying new Bilstein shocks and softer shackles. I have not tried towing yet, nor have I put any weight in the bed. I'm curious if this would help.

I have less than 1000 miles on this truck and I'm very disappointed. This is my 3rd F250. Previously owned a 2000 7.3 and 2006 6.0. Both of these trucks were smooth at any speed. I use my trucks to go back & forth from Florida to the Carolinas. The vibration at highway cruising speeds will drive you nuts!

#10 ·
How about these are just heavy duty trucks and with no load in the bed, some vibration may/may not happen.
I am on my 4th Superduty and they have all had some bounce to them running down the freeway when they are empty.
Put a load on them, no more bouncing.

These things aren't Cadillacs.......... :)

#11 ·
And I would agree with you, except I didn't have this problem with previous F250's. Today, I hauled a 35' boat with a triple axle trailer. I've pulled this boat many times before with a previous F250 and it's a very smooth, well balanced trailer. It's been all over the country attending races. With the new F250, the vibration / shaking continued while pulling the boat. I can't tell you the tongue weight, but if 10% is the average measure, it's several hundred pounds of bed weight.

#13 ·
I have a 2011 F250 4wd King ranch with the 20" Michelin 275x65R20. I purchased the truck used with 35k miles on it. I now have 46k miles on the truck and have bad vibration issues. It is real bad at 45-50 MPH does it every time. There is a constant vibration from the front end at highway speed. Hitting rough patches of road has caused the truck to move half over into the next lane.

When I purchased the truck they replaced the rear tires and moved the rears to the front. Both the dealer and two discount tires places have balanced the tires with no effect. They said I needed to wear them in after the rotation. 10k miles later I still have the problem. The dealer did replace some sort of stabilizer bar in one visit. It helped with the rough patches not being so violent. Once on the way back from an enduro pulling a small 2 dirtbike trailer going over an over pass the truck started shaking so bad you would have thought it was an earth quake. I have not experienced that since the stabilizer was replaced.

I would go buy new tires tomorrow if I knew it would fix the problem. I went out to a customer today who has a big pipe yard I was driving around at slow speed. I noticed a "popping" from the front end while driving around. I could slightly hear it but more I could feel it in my left foot on the floor board.

I just got the truck back for the sensor and pcm update. I again listed on my service form the vibration problems. All I got back was a could not reproduce problem in the driving test.

#15 ·
My 550 will do this at 55 MPH with an empty trailer, but not with the truck alone. I thought maybe it was a contribution from the trailer, so I pulled another of my trailers and it seems to do the same. I did re-balance the rears, no change. I suspect there may be a harmonic vibration that sets up at a certain spreed, I'm not sure how to stop it. It is very busy when it happens...

#16 ·
On my 4th Superduty, they have all done it to some degree. I don't worry about it, I just drive it.
I don't buy these trucks to have comfortable, smooth ride. I buy these trucks to tow lots of weight.

#17 ·
Don't rule out little imperfections in what appears to be a smooth road. Take notice if it changes where road surfaces vary.

I've also had these types of issues with various brands of tires. Toyos made all my problems go away.

Just my 2 cents.

#19 ·
I just recently replaced by stock tires around 43k. Now, when i lay into the throttle i get a vibration. basically anything above 10 psi of boost, in any gear at any speed...i can feel the vibration.

sounds like the consensus might be tires needing to be balanced?

#22 · (Edited)
Same old song and dance on my '14. Loaded/unloaded/5er/conventional towing --- doesn't matter. Does it every time between 70 and 80.
Except, I took the service manager for a ride - and there was absolutely no way I was getting the "could not duplicate customer's concern" BS.

Two sets of rims, 3 sets of tires, still here. I've tried non-OEM rims, multiple brands of tires...no joy.

This has been my only complaint so far with the truck and I'm very interested to hear how anyone has fixed this.

#23 ·
Had the same issues, except mine would also do that at 45mph. After the dealer changed tires and rims 5 times, changed shocks 2 times, new drive shaft, did they some what make it better by indexing the drive shaft. I still have the issue, but it is much better.
I have a 2013 F250 6.7 4x4

#26 ·
Subscribed
I also have a new 14 f350 shortbread with continental tires. Dealer has balanced then twice...it smooths up real nice for a 200 miles then the vibration returns. Made a deal with the dealer to sell me duratraxs at there cost....they will install them tomorrow. I only have 700 miles on the truck and I got them to give me 100 bucks apiece for the factory continentals.
I have this week off then I don't know when the next time I will be able to get the truck in..hope this soves the problem.

#31 ·
my 03 did something similar when I got it and it seemed like it was worse when on cruise or when at around 55 and accelerating to 65 like the lockup portion of the torque converter in the trannie was chattering. Some software update after about 3 attempts a year or so later it went away. I would always back out of the throttle if it did it as it appears to be some kind of slippage. Not sure if its the same kind of thing but it never did it towing only empty like a hunting trannie.

#32 ·
I got a '12 6.7 XLT a few months ago. It had 73k on it when I got it.

The tires needed replacing, but before I was able to do that, I had the "death wobble". The whole thing went a skippin' and a bouncin' down the road. The front end was jumping uncontrollably and it scared the life outta me. Once I was in a turn, and the other time I was travelling straight. Had there been an oncoming car in either instance, I woulda eaten them.

I got new tires. 35" Toyos. The problem was still there. A new track-bar was installed, along with bushings. This helped the problem. No more death wobble.

However, at 48mph, the whole truck shakes. Smooth road, bumpy road, whatever.

When the tires were installed, they were road force balanced. Problem may have eased a bit, but outta curiosity, I took them to a traditional balancing place. They pulled all the weights, and added new ones. Problem still there; unchanged.

I took it to Lugoff Ford in Lugoff, SC last Wednesday for a road force. They said the left rear was probably bad. Tires had about 1.5k on them now. I've hit nothing... But, OK...they said if the road force didn't fix it, then buy a new tire. Thursday I ordered the tire; Friday they installed it. I paid $330 for a tire and $26 for installation, and the problem is unchanged.

I'm supposed to take it back in on the 15th.

While I was at one shop, we looked at the driveshaft, and the factory weight it there and there's no evidence of anything being hit. We also checked the u-joints, and there's no play.

I guess Ford will check carrier bearing and wheel bearings. I'm curious if a set of Blistein 5100's would help ease the problem. I've also considered their steering stabilizer. I hate to keep throwing money at such a trivial thing, but it's damned annoying to say the least.

#35 ·
I got a '12 6.7 XLT a few months ago. It had 73k on it when I got it.

The tires needed replacing, but before I was able to do that, I had the "death wobble". The whole thing went a skippin' and a bouncin' down the road. The front end was jumping uncontrollably and it scared the life outta me. Once I was in a turn, and the other time I was travelling straight. Had there been an oncoming car in either instance, I woulda eaten them.

I got new tires. 35" Toyos. The problem was still there. A new track-bar was installed, along with bushings. This helped the problem. No more death wobble.

However, at 48mph, the whole truck shakes. Smooth road, bumpy road, whatever.

When the tires were installed, they were road force balanced. Problem may have eased a bit, but outta curiosity, I took them to a traditional balancing place. They pulled all the weights, and added new ones. Problem still there; unchanged.

I took it to Lugoff Ford in Lugoff, SC last Wednesday for a road force. They said the left rear was probably bad. Tires had about 1.5k on them now. I've hit nothing... But, OK...they said if the road force didn't fix it, then buy a new tire. Thursday I ordered the tire; Friday they installed it. I paid $330 for a tire and $26 for installation, and the problem is unchanged...
Hi USMCsilver,

I received your PM about this and sent over a reply. I'll be happy to do what I can to help out.

Crystal

#33 ·
This is a common problem on Ford trucks when the front end was switched over to coil springs. The Ford engineers know about it but it falls upon deaf ears. Imagine having to fix all the frames...hint---> Toyota truck frame recall

The frame starts moving around by the radius arms and oscillates back causing a rear end bounce.

Read these threads to educate yourselves.

Need help with rear "bounce" problem please - PowerStrokeArmy
^^^^^ Starts getting good at page 7, post #69

40-45 mph hop/vibration issue - PowerStrokeArmy

My Theory on the "Superduty Hop" and Possible fix. - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum
^^^^^ If you have the time, this one's 85 pages long with links and videos of the bounce.

I wonder if the boxed frame of the 2017+ trucks will do it.

GM and Dodge had the same problem but they boxed the frames.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.