New 2012 Ford F250 Fuel Versus Fuel Tank - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2012, 10:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
New 2012 Ford F250 Fuel Versus Fuel Tank

I have a new 2012 Ford F-250 4x4 crew cab shortbed truck. Supposedley 26 gal. tank. I have filled it twice, and the fuel economy was down to 15 miles to empty, low fuel light on on computer guage. I filled to top of filler neck and only got 22.4 gallons in tank. My old 2002 truck same specs. I could get 28 gallons in to top of filler neck, is computer off? Wow! only about 300 miles, on new truck was expecting more. Other fill up, got 18 gal. and 65 miles to empty. What happened to 26 gallons.
Lonbatr72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

The fuel capacity is one of the reasons I went with a longbed this time around. As far as your ACTUAL capacity, I don't know why its only taking 22.5 - Kind of disappointing. You can always put a bigger tank in the truck. Transfer Flow makes an excellent product. Watch out for Titan, they have had a LOT of problems with the tank bung not sealing, and letting water into the tank which then destroys the fuel system at your expense.
Old 05-02-2012, 10:37 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have the same issue. In fact I have had this issue on all Fords that I have owned with trip computers. A crown Vic that I had, and my Lincoln LS will read 0 miles to empty with about 2 gallons of fuel in the tank. I know that the fuel pump is cooled by the fuel in the tank, so I wonder if the trip computer reads zero early to protect the pump?
scjmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-02-2012, 11:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

I've been meaning to pose this question. Same going on here. 20-21 gal going in when the truck is empty. 26 gal tank. Where's the other 5 gal?

My Toyota is dead nuts. Light comes on dim but solid, you got maybe 40 miles. Burning bright you are on fumes, maybe a gallon left in the tank.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:13 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
All longwise mounted large fuel tank vehicles I have had had an issue with fuel gauge accuracy like y'all are describing. IF you park 'em uphill or down hill they read wrong since fuel runs to end of tank. I think if they scaled it to let you get it really low you'd run too much of a risk of running out on hilly drives and such.

I have F350 and heavy chassis F450. 350 is long next to frame mount tank and 450 is aft of rear axle and is a more cube like tank. 450 gauge lets you utilize more of the capacity to get to empty.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 141K
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 205K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 06:58 AM   #6 (permalink)
Dak

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrickTruck View Post
I've been meaning to pose this question. Same going on here. 20-21 gal going in when the truck is empty. 26 gal tank. Where's the other 5 gal?

My Toyota is dead nuts. Light comes on dim but solid, you got maybe 40 miles. Burning bright you are on fumes, maybe a gallon left in the tank.
What Toyota is that?? The Tundra I had (and several others on another forum) would operate as described above. Took a 5 Gal fuel can with me and drove until the thing shut-off - got 75 miles past the 0 miles to empty. I DON'T advise doing this on our diesels as air is a much bigger problem on these then on a gasser...

I had a shortbed as a loaner for awhile and it behaved like that - annoying as at just over 200 miles I felt like I had to start looking for a place to fill-up. And then the fill-up was only 16 gal. - 18 gal. So I learned to drive further - and also, I trust the computer for gallons used, it always seems to be within .1 - .2 gal of what I actually put in. The problem is that you have to TRUST that you have 26 gal of useable fuel. But you should be able to at least drive until it says you used 22-23 gal safely. I like to keep more than 1/2 full at all times anyways, which is why the 26 gal tank was annoying to me.

Anyone run out by accident in either a SB or a LB and completely top off so we have an idea of useable fuel? (not that I like to run it down all the way, but it would be nice to know just how far you REALLY have left, before you get to use Nike to get to where you need to go)
Old 05-03-2012, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Just had that REAL concern on a trip back to dfw -
in the middle of nowhere I realized the 5er and wind were eating my mpg....
said 30 miles to empty (is that an accurate calculation ?!? )

slowed down, drafted 18 wheelers, turned ac off
just to find out I only filled up with 22 gal after going out of my way trusting the gps KNEW where a station really was ?!?

Did NOT want to push the 5th wheel !!!
Old 05-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #8 (permalink)

Never trust your DTE!

The way the DTE amount is calculated is kinda weird. When the computer senses that you have added fuel, it takes the last MPG calculation (say 18 mpg as an example) and uses it in the DTE calculation with how much fuel has been added (calulated by sensing change in fuel gage). So if the truck senses a 10 gallon change in fuel quantity and you were getting 18 mpg last reading, it will increase your DTE by 180 miles. Not a very acurate way to calculate a reading.

If you want to have some fun and get a real high DTE (false) reading, reset your MPG reading as you are pulling up to a fuel stop and coast into the pump, your MPG could be over 50 MPG and then pump your fuel..... messing around like that I have had my DTE say I had over 800 miles one time, which would be awsome but totally false!

Panama City, Fl area

2011 F350 4x4 Ultimate Lariat crew cab SRW, LWB, 6.7 PSD, 5th wheel prep, factory 5'er and gooseneck hitches, 331 E-locker, factory bedliner. Duraflap mud flaps. Viair onboard air compressor. Firestone airshocks. Weathertech window vent shades.
-----------------------------------------------
1996 F-250 super cap XLT 7.3 PSD 200,000 miles.
-----------------------------------------------
1953 F-100 Deluxe cab, 50th anaversery in midst of frame up restoration.
Thom12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 02:10 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thom12 View Post
Never trust your DTE!

The way the DTE amount is calculated is kinda weird. When the computer senses that you have added fuel, it takes the last MPG calculation (say 18 mpg as an example) and uses it in the DTE calculation with how much fuel has been added (calulated by sensing change in fuel gage). So if the truck senses a 10 gallon change in fuel quantity and you were getting 18 mpg last reading, it will increase your DTE by 180 miles. Not a very acurate way to calculate a reading.

If you want to have some fun and get a real high DTE (false) reading, reset your MPG reading as you are pulling up to a fuel stop and coast into the pump, your MPG could be over 50 MPG and then pump your fuel..... messing around like that I have had my DTE say I had over 800 miles one time, which would be awsome but totally false!
There is a setting to make the DTE based on the fact your are towing. I can't remember where I saw it, but I remember running into that setting somewhere. I don't trust DTE, but I do trust how much fuel I have used in the trip computer area -
Old 05-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #10 (permalink)

when my light comes on, I usually have 5-6 gallons left.... E is not E.... its "get gas soon or ur ass will be walkin" light. Sometimes I'll go another 50-60 miles with the light on....
2009 F250 6.4 KR CCSB 4x4 FX4 (sold)
2011 Raptor 6.2 Crew SVT (sold at 9,000)
HoustonRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2012, 09:57 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (10)
Not to be a smart ass - but that Titan replacement (50 gallon) is money well worth it!
TT = '13 27 International - Serenity Decor with Espresso Ultraleather
Hitch = ProPride "Pivot Point Projection" (3P) Hitch
:wally:
**I Love U.S.A.**
JFScheck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 06:10 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFScheck View Post
Not to be a smart ass - but that Titan replacement (50 gallon) is money well worth it!
I was quoted $1375 at a trim shop near where I live for this addition.

Hmm, $500 for air bags + $1375 for a real fuel tank (+$100 at dealer to get DTE recalculated) - in order to make the truck be what it should have been from the factory.........

I was crawling around under the truck the other day and noticed the amount of unused space where a larger fuel tank could have been- shame on you Ford, WTH were you thinking?
Your gas 1/2 tons come with bigger tanks...

2012 Starcraft 278 BHS 5er

2009 Polaris Ranger XP
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 06:33 AM   #13 (permalink)

You can say that again

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerryB View Post
The fuel capacity is one of the reasons I went with a longbed this time around.
And I love not filling up every couple of days.
2006 F-350 XL - Traded
2005 F-350 XLT - Totaled
USAF Retired!

Last edited by RM2011F250XLT; 05-04-2012 at 06:35 AM.
RM2011F250XLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 07:09 AM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
As noted before, maybe it's because of gvw and payload concerns that they went with the smaller tank (that they probably already used on other vehicles)...

if they put say a 50 gal tank - that's 24 more gal @ around 6 lb per gal = 140+ lbs LESS payload in a crew cab vehicle that's already a porker....

but still love my truck - as we get older, we have to make more and more stops for potty breaks anyway

How many of you researched the fuel tank size before buying ?!? So why is it Ford's fault ?

Last edited by JohnBoyII; 05-04-2012 at 07:40 AM.
JohnBoyII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnBoyII View Post
As noted before, maybe it's because of gvw and payload concerns that they went with the smaller tank (that they probably already used on other vehicles)...

if they put say a 50 gal tank - that's 24 more gal @ around 6 lb per gal = 140+ lbs LESS payload in a crew cab vehicle that's already a porker....

but still love my truck - as we get older, we have to make more and more stops for potty breaks anyway

How many of you researched the fuel tank size before buying ?!? So why is it Ford's fault ?
Hmm, weight savings for a higher GVWR. Well heck that makes sense.

That must be why my three quarter ton truck only has 3 leafs on each side in the rear, just think of all the extra weight I can haul now that I don't have additional leafs and overload springs to haul around .

I kid, I Kid.

So, I take it the 3/4 ton's with long beds have way lower GVWR's considering all the extra weight of the extended shaft, bed and fuel tank capacity?

2012 Starcraft 278 BHS 5er

2009 Polaris Ranger XP
00buck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.