The Diesel Stop banner

New F250

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  terryf350 
#1 ·
Hi,
I have a 2001 F-250 7.3L. My wife is trying to convince me to get a new truck. I really like the 2001, it has no catalytic converter, I put on 4" exhaust, AnE intake, Banks chip and I just had the trans rebuilt. Front end was rebuilt 2 years ago.
However, we will be retiring in a few years and I don't want trouble down the road. The truck has 230,000 miles.
I have no idea of the quality of the 2016 ford diesels and I'd love some feed back and sources for information on them.
Thanks in advance for any info,
Roger

#2 ·
I just bought a new 16, it's a HUGE step up from the 7.3, night and day difference, I assume/hope it will be as reliable or more so then the 7.3 was. I don't know personally yet because i only have 600 miles on the clock :D. yours is starting to get up there in miles and age, so yes I'd vote yes for a new one! if your 7.3 is well cared for you can get a lot of $$ for it still. don't trade it in though sell it on CL or something. besides right now is a buyers market for the 16 models :)

#3 ·
I had a 2001...7.3...nice... never gave me an issue. I traded at 190K. Rust was coming on so I traded in on a 6.4 what a waste...of money...nasty..then the 6.7 2011 great but issues starting at 70k ...traded due to issues with trans,AC,Turbo..and other new models possible issues.. got the 2016 because Ford improved everything known over the years since 2010 ...Nice truck for sure.
But being you only got 230k after all these years... you can still get by with it...as that 7.3 will give more..than 230k..It's the rust that gets us here..
If you have the money and can do a deal without stress go for it..but you can save money and use it for 'say a cross country trip in style' instead.. put some money into the old one.. new tires,brake lines or what ever and go for it.

#4 ·
I had a 2003

with 333,333 miles on it with all the updates that I loved. No problems, good mileage, pulled my big trailer no problem

I decided with the current discounts you could get on a 2016 I would get one.

I did and the girlfriend and I love it. I upgraded to a Lariat and automatic and it is so quiet and nice that I am really impressed. Doesn't quite get the same mileage as the old one but it is really a super nice truck. I would call it much more civilized.

I believe the 2017s are even nicer, but cost much more and are a 1st yr truck.

I believe the 2016s are the best of the older trucks. I believe they are pretty reliable, knock on wood.

I would upgrade if you have the $. I think you will be really happy.

Terry

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.