The Diesel Stop banner

New Motorcraft Oil Meeting New Ford Specification

17K views 34 replies 14 participants last post by  allcool 
#1 ·
I was at my local WM this morning and saw the new MC oil for Powerstrokes meeting the new WSS-M2C171-F1 specification sitting on the shelf. Based upon what I see on the bottle "Contains More Than 1000PPM Phosphorus For Better Wear Protection", it makes me wonder if any xW-40 HDEO with >1000PPM Phosphorus meets their specification; i.e. is that all that is required. I realize that is a broad statement, but...

See less See more
#2 ·
I was at my local WM this morning and saw the new MC oil for Powerstrokes meeting the new WSS-M2C171-F1 specification sitting on the shelf. Based upon what I see on the bottle "Contains More Than 1000PPM Phosphorus For Better Wear Protection", it makes me wonder if any xW-40 HDEO with >1000PPM Phosphorus meets their specification; i.e. is that all that is required. I realize that is a broad statement, but...

Here is the list of currently approved oils: https://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/additionalinfo/dieseloilsWSSM2C171F1.pdf

#5 ·
Me thinks you would have better luck finding unicorn tears than some (most) of the oils on that list.

Reactions: klhansen
#3 ·
Too bad they don't have 5W40 yet.
Anyone towing heavy should be using 5W40

#4 ·
I used to run Mobil-1 5w40, but now that's ck4 too. so, I'm currently running Delo 400 XL 5w40 full syn. bought 10 gallons of the CJ4. Had to go to a couple of walmarts to get that much, and is getting harder to find. Had I know the Valvoline 5w40 syn was on the approved list, I would have hit up my local napa for it.

#20 · (Edited)
I used to run Mobil-1 5w40, but now that's ck4 too. so, I'm currently running Delo 400 XL 5w40 full syn. bought 10 gallons of the CJ4. Had to go to a couple of walmarts to get that much, and is getting harder to find. Had I know the Valvoline 5w40 syn was on the approved list, I would have hit up my local napa for it.
Really,,??? just got some at wallmart, Mobil 1 5-40, showing cj-4 rated only, no mention of ck-4 anywhere on the bottle. Just called m1 tech line, was told no plans to change Mobil1 5-40 turbo diesel to ck-4, ever.

#9 · (Edited)
A large amount of oil you buy off the shelf is packaged by Warren Oil Co. They blend oil to spec for many of the brand name oil companies as well as private branding for car manufacturers' parts divisions. Oil is more or less generic base stock with the proportion of additives the customer (oil company, car maker, parts seller, big box store, etc.) specifies be added beyond the required to meet the API or ACEA.

#11 ·
I don't know who is packaging oil for Ford today. Contracts for things like that are subject to change and it may not be the same company in all parts of the US.

#13 · (Edited)
I don't like additives & believe most of them are snake oil, but I wonder if there is one that would take care of this problem & allow me to use the T-6 that's already in the crankcase. If not should I drain this oil or is this more of a long term wear issue?

#14 ·
Add me to the snake oil camp and in this case, you would have to know at least a couple of things:

1. How many PPM of phosphorus is in the oil in its virgin state.
2. Is phosphorus the only thing that needs to be increased to prevent the wear over which Ford is hand wringing.

With that said, Shell has posted a few articles about their CK-4 oil and the Ford conundrum and I would not be concerned over a one time use of it. Ford stated the wear problem was a long term issue so a one-time use of CK-4 oil should not be earth stopping. I would run my normal OCI and then switch back to CJ-4 until the majors produce oil that meets the new Ford WSS-M2C171-F1 specification.

#15 ·
Agree...Shell Rotella T6 is an excellent oil even in the CK-4 formula.

Its difficult to measure an oil's lubrication ability based only on its Phosphorous content since the new CK-4 oils have limited P percentage at the same time they have increased other anti-wear additives. Atleast some of these anti-wear technologies have existed for some time but were more expensive than ZDDP.

I still prefer CJ-4 and will stock up on it whenever I find it...such as DELO 5W-40 LE from Wal-Mart.

Reactions: 2015_PSD
#17 ·
So I was in Wal Mart & found two 2.5 gallon jugs & one 1 gallon jug of Chevron Delo LE full synthetic 5W40 oil. I bought all of it. The Starburst on the back label says "API service CJ-4/SM, CI-4 plus, SAE 5W40. It says NOTHING about CK-4 or FA-4 so I'm guessing that this is an older oil that was manufactured & packaged before the newer CK-4 oils came out.
Here's my concern : This is Delo 400 LE & is not on Ford's approved list like Delo 400 XL. I'm thinking that this is just an oversight & the "LE" just somehow didn't make the list. I also called the Chevron help line (1-800-231-0623) & talked to one of their engineers that said the "LE" would be fine. He also said that they ran this oil in test engines for 100,000 miles with no measurable deviations from baseline oil analyses.
My question is - would you use this oil even though it's not on Ford's "approved" list.
Your input would be appreciated.
Warren

#18 ·
So I was in Wal Mart & found two 2.5 gallon jugs & one 1 gallon jug of Chevron Delo LE full synthetic 5W40 oil. I bought all of it. The Starburst on the back label says "API service CJ-4/SM, CI-4 plus, SAE 5W40. My question is - would you use this oil even though it's not on Ford's "approved" list.
I replied to your other post in detail, but to answer this question--Yep, all day long; note my signature.

Reactions: ArcticDriver
#19 ·
Thanks, 2015_PSD.

#24 ·
Walmart has new oil

Was in Walmart this weekend and noticed they have the new oil with the correct WSS on the front. It is 15-40 non synthetic
Called the local ford dealer and they say they have the new spec WSS synthetic 5-40. Have not checked it out yet.
Walmart price on the gallon is almost $19.00 gallon.

#25 ·
well autozone diesel oil and motorcraft are on the same list, guess oils are all the same, why so many different names?

#26 ·
Motorcraft oil is made by Conoco Phillips, I am not sure about AZ oil.

#29 ·
They retained the name but Phillips is trading under PSX. It happened in 2005

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#30 ·
#31 ·
You're right - 05 was when the first stock split happened.

#32 ·
Today I was able to get 5-40 full syn. at my Ford dealer that meets the new wss spec. It is not on the front of the quarts but is on the back. Not cheap $7.70 aquart.
At least they have it for now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.