Oil Leak - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2010, 09:09 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil Leak

noticed spots on my driveway and crawled under... looks like Ford will be doing some more warranty work on my 10 day old truck. Leaking oil is a bit unexpected for a $60k vehicle with "10,000,000 miles of testing", first year of production or not. Anyone else seeing oil leaks or know if there is some secret squirrel TSB on it?

Wonder if they are going to tell me it is bad fuel?

Hopefully it is just a tighten this, re-torque that fix.

On the upside, I have right at 3,000m on it and it still reads 100% DEF (which means it actually has between 76-100% left) and is getting right at 19mpg avg overall with the updated flash.
Attached Thumbnails
Oil Leak-p9100393.jpg   Oil Leak-p9100394.jpg   Oil Leak-p9100397.jpg  
Advertisement

Old 09-11-2010, 08:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

My 350 6.7, CC, DRW had a small leak from the oil pan gasket. Fixed with a new gasket. No more problems, running great at 5,000 miles.
mnregan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 12:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

i have almost 4000 miles on mine and have not noticed any leaks...
2011 F-350, 6.7L, Oxford White Lariat Interior Pkg 4x2 DRW, Crew Cab, 3.73, Fifth Wheel Prep, Reese Elite 25K, Navigation, Tough Bed Liner, Tailgate Step. Ordered 4/26 - Built 5/21 - Arrived at Dealer 6/7 - Took delivery on 6/15
amsoil_f250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 12:51 PM   #4 (permalink)

Iv'e been watching the posts and this is the 1st 6.7 oil leak I have seen reported. So you take it to the dealer and they will fix it. Even a Rolls Royce can develop a leak. Just cause a truck cost 60K does not mean every one will be perfect. Hope the repair is an easy fix and the experience is quickly forgotten.
Old 09-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
There was one who had reported a oil leak. But it was pouring. Many qts blowed back on his trailer before he noticed. It was a rear main seal. That didn't get put in proper. Other than that, that's all I've heard of.
2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC,LB, SRW 3.31 ELD.Vermillion Red.Bakflip HD,Spray in bedliner. Tint all windows.Edge Insite CTS. DDM Tuning,Hi/Low HID'S (H13,55W.Bull Bar. red grill lettering/stainless tailgate letters.AMI chrome locking fuel door.Plazma light bar.
2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC.LB SRW Oxford white. (FORD BUY BACK)!!!
2009 F-250 Superduty 6.4. CC.LB SRW Trade in.
2010 Ford Focus. All the bells and whistles. Red Wifey's econo box
1994 F-150.XLT.5.8 litre 351. E4ODE.Extended cab LB. 198,000 miles.Don't use a drop of oil.
Hdslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-11-2010, 03:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
Ahhh.. You are forgetting about the few that started the truck without the oil dipstick in or in all of the way... Major mess. Make sure your dipstick is in tight.

Otherwise, I haven't heard of any oil leaks either. Let us know what the fix is, in case others expereince the same thing.
Old 09-12-2010, 07:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
I just got mine back last week and one item was the oil filler neck was leaking. We'll see if they fixed it, it was on longer highway drives that left a handprint size oil spot everyone's driveway. Replaced Filler Pipe, BC3Z*6763*B.

Also in for:
1.)New program.

2.) A knock in the left drivers suspension, TSB 10-07-03 had them add 2 1C3Z*1000145*AA shims on both front body mounts.

3.) Wiper blades, which compounded my problems since the hood is dented now. I'll be taking it back in to see if they can massage out the silver dollar indent on this thin hood.

4.) Rear tire wear which I've never seen on my old '97 running around with 80psi in BFG AT's on the same roads. They blame it on agressive vehicle launches and I say it's from bouncing on bad pavement or concrete roads around here. They're feathered at 1600mi. so I guess I'll be rotating side to side more often.

5.) Additional side effect is that it seems like they tightened the brakes.

Eric
Old 09-13-2010, 10:14 PM   #8 (permalink)

well, apparently Ford has seen some that leak....

21374 6.7L OIL LEAK DIAGNOSTIC TIP
SOME 6.7L DIESEL ENGINE EQUIPPED VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT PERCEIVED ENGINE FLUID LEAKS THAT MAY APPEAR TO BE COMING FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE FRONT COVER BEHIND THE SECONDARY WATERPUMP OR FROM THE TRANSMISSION BELLHOUSING AREA. THESE CONCERNS MAY BE DUE TO OIL OR OTHER FLUIDS COLLECTING IN THE ENGINE VALLEY AND THEN DRAINING OUT THE FRONT ENGINE VALLEY DRAIN OR OUT THE REAR OF THE ENGINE VALLEY. IT IS RECOMMENDED TO INSPECT THE ENGINE VALLEY TO ENSURE FLUIDS HAVE NOT COLLECTED IN THIS AREA PRIOR TO PERFORMING NORMAL FLUID LEAK DIAGNOSTICS.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 06/14/2010

21389 6.7L DIESEL - OIL LEAK - REAR MAIN SEAL
SOME 6.7L DIESEL EQUIPPED VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT AN OIL LEAK FROM THE REAR MAIN SEAL AREA. THIS MAY BE CAUSED BY THE OUTER SEAL DIAMETER BEING DAMAGED BY THE CRANKSHAFT POSITION SENSOR (CKP) DURING ENGINE ASSEMBLY. WHEN FOLLOWING THE WORKSHOP MANUAL (WSM) REAR MAIN SEAL REPLACEMENT SERVICE PROCEDURE IN SECTION 303-01C, LUBRICATE THE REAR MAIN SEALS' OUTER DIAMETER WITH CLEAN ENGINE OIL AND LOOSEN THE CKP RETAINING BOLT 2 COMPLETE TURNS PRIOR TO SEAL INSTALLATION TO PREVENT POSSIBLE CONTACT/DAMAGE DURING SEAL INSTALLATION. AFTER SEAL INSTALLATION, TORQUE THE CKP RETAINING BOLT TO 10 NM (89 LB-IN). THE ON-LINE WSM IS CURRENTLY IN THE PROCESS OF BEING UPDATED WITH THIS ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 06/25/2010

21448 6.7L DIESEL - OIL LEAK
SOME 6.7L DIESEL EQUIPPED VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT AN OIL LEAK FROM THE TOP OF THE LEFT SIDE OF THE ENGINE THAT MAY COLLECT IN AND AROUND THE FUEL INJECTORS OR ALONG THE VALVE COVER. THIS MAY BE DUE TO THE OIL FILL TUBE (BASE PART 6763) TO VALVE COVER O-RING SEAL BEING MISPOSITIONED OR DAMAGED. INSPECT THE AREA TO DETERMINE THE SOURCE OF THE LEAK AND REPAIR AS NECESSARY.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/09/2010

21457 6.7L DIESEL - OIL LEAK AT TURBOCHARGER
SOME 2011 6.7L DIESEL EQUIPPED VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT AN OIL LEAK FROM THE TURBOCHARGER SUPPLY LINE OR FITTINGS. THESE COMPONENTS ARE AVAILABLE SEPARATELY AND DO NOT REQUIRE TURBOCHARGER REPLACEMENT (FITTINGS 6A968, LINE 6B689). IF LEAK IS BETWEEN THE FITTING AND LINE USE BOTH PARTS. THE CORRECT TOOL TO DISCONNECT LINE IS A 3/8 INCH QUICK LINE DISCONNECT TOOL, SUCH AS SNAP-ON LDTSP4 OR EQUIVALENT. TURBOCHARGER OIL SUPPLY FITTING TORQUE IS 20-28 NM (177-247 LBS-IN). PLEASE ENSURE THAT THE LINE IS COMPLETELY CONNECTED AND THE RETAINING CLIPS ARE IN PLACE.
EFFECTIVE DATE: 08/13/2010
Old 09-13-2010, 10:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Excellent, thanks. I'll spend some time under the truck with a flash light to see if any of these leaks exist.
Line-X Bedliner/Door Seal Mod
DDM Tuning HI/Low HID's (H13, 55W, Color 5,000K)
Titan 50 gallon tank
EpicCowlick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

Well I now have about 7K on my truck and last weekend up until today I've had a puddle of oil under my truck about 2" in diameter right below the bell housing. My dealer was booked solid and I was finally able to bring my truck in this morning. I'm patiently waiting on the call. As of lunch time they hadn't even looked at it. This is already my 2nd visit.. Not bad for a 60K investment.
Old 10-15-2010, 04:41 PM   #11 (permalink)
Dak

How do you like the 2011 LML?
Old 10-15-2010, 07:05 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
How do you like the 2011 LML?
To be honest I haven't driven it very much. In the couple of times I did I found the ride and power was much better than the LB7 that it replaced. My son drives that one and he really likes it. We currently have about 38K on it and so far it's been a great truck as far as reliability.

Also I just talked to the service manager about my truck. He said I have a leak on a lube oil line to the turbo. That was a relief as I was expecting the worst. They had to get a line at another dealer so I should have her back on the road Monday.
Old 10-16-2010, 06:00 AM   #13 (permalink)
Dak

Looks like the TSB's are right about the oil leaks and the places to look. Glad you will be back on the road soon.

Good to hear Chevy got it right too.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.