Oil temp 248 no problem - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2012, 12:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Oil temp 248 no problem

Just returned from a round trip between CO and AZ. Leaving AZ from Phoenix going up to Payson, is a fairly good climb. And on the way back there is a short but steep climb I estimate 7% grade. Leaving, early morning ambient temp was 94*. Oil temp towing my 14K fifth wheel climbed to 248*. That's the highest I've seen it yet. Didn't seem to be any cause for alarm, as the truck continued to perform just as excellent as it always has. No extra fan turned on or anything. When I reached the top and level ground, the oil temp came back down, and all was well.

On the way back, same thing happened, except the ambient temp was 103*. Oil temp climbed to 248*, no problems this time either, all was good.

Just wanted to let everyone know, so as not to be alarmed.

Truck is still running great, as always. Love this Ford!
United States Navy Veteran
juneau92 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
I see in your sig that your truck is a DRW with the camper package. I got that package when I ordered the '05 SRW F-350 in my sig mostly for the big anti-sway bar in the rear. I figured this wouldn't hurt especially with the high king pin weight of the 5th wheel also in my sig. I've been specing out a DRW truck so I can order later this year (probably a '13) and I see that the bigger anti-sway bar is available only on SRW models & not duallys. The only difference the camper package makes in DRW trucks is a stiffer front spring package. I would like to know how your truck rides and if you think this package would be beneficial to me for towing my 5th wheel. If you were starting over would you get the camper package again? 'No slide-in camper for me; just 5th wheel.
Anyone else please feel free to comment on this as well. I hate to get a rougher ride if stiffer front springs aren't of any benefit. 'Opinions, please.
Thanks
2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2008 Big Horn 5th wheel RV by Heartland model 3670RL. 38' long with 4 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
wpetko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

wpetko,

I have a 350 LB SRW and do not have the camper package. I tow a 13,500 fifth wheel and do not have any issues with sway. Matter of fact, the stability control works so well that I had a blow out on my 5'er last week and the truck held that camper straight as an arrow, no issue at all. Ford did a great job on the stability of these trucks.

Now, if only they would show actual tire pressure from the TPMS on one of the video screens, this would be THE IDEAL tow platform! (minor thing that bothers me after blow out is what the tires really are doing.)

You will love the abilities of this truck without camper package!

Panama City, Fl area

2011 F350 4x4 Ultimate Lariat crew cab SRW, LWB, 6.7 PSD, 5th wheel prep, factory 5'er and gooseneck hitches, 331 E-locker, factory bedliner. Duraflap mud flaps. Viair onboard air compressor. Firestone airshocks. Weathertech window vent shades.
-----------------------------------------------
1996 F-250 super cap XLT 7.3 PSD 200,000 miles.
-----------------------------------------------
1953 F-100 Deluxe cab, 50th anaversery in midst of frame up restoration.
Thom12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 12:47 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
248F is too cool to fry chicken or taters but I think it pretty warm for oil. The oil temp sensor is after the oil cooler so how hot is the oil before it goes through the cooler?
I guess that it seems to not stay at that temp for that long.
No need to complain as the fix might be to change the parameter to read N, L, and H and put it at N from 100 to 300F to keep us from worrying.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 141K
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 205K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

I pull a fifth wheel wedge auto hauler. The steer axle weight is #5200 lbs with or without a trailer on, so in other words, the weight is on the hitch not the steer axle. The factory spring rate for my 450 is #6000 and I think it is #5950 for the 350. I did put a head rack on the truck and uprated the wheels to 19.5 and the front springs to #8000 to handle the extra load - the axle is the same Dana Super 60 on all 450 pickup, 450/550 C/C trucks so the axle rating was OK. The ride quality is a little harsher with heavier springs, and I noted, not necessary for your application
tlhort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 06:03 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpetko View Post
I see in your sig that your truck is a DRW with the camper package. I got that package when I ordered the '05 SRW F-350 in my sig mostly for the big anti-sway bar in the rear. I figured this wouldn't hurt especially with the high king pin weight of the 5th wheel also in my sig. I've been specing out a DRW truck so I can order later this year (probably a '13) and I see that the bigger anti-sway bar is available only on SRW models & not duallys. The only difference the camper package makes in DRW trucks is a stiffer front spring package. I would like to know how your truck rides and if you think this package would be beneficial to me for towing my 5th wheel. If you were starting over would you get the camper package again? 'No slide-in camper for me; just 5th wheel.
Anyone else please feel free to comment on this as well. I hate to get a rougher ride if stiffer front springs aren't of any benefit. 'Opinions, please.
Thanks
I have a anti-sway bar on my dually. I don't know what package it came with. Might not be a big as the optional one on the SRW, I don't know. Also, I can't say that the camper package I have is helpful or not to the towing of my 14k 5th wheel. What I can say is that this truck I have has a SMOOTH ride. Just got back from a 1000 mile round trip to CO with my mom (She's 82 years old), and she made several comments about how nice and smooth of a ride my new truck was. It rides smoother with the trailer on it, but it is smooth even without it. I would get the camper package, it's only another $160 on a $60k truck. And yes, if I were starting over, I'd get the camper package again. In fact, I'd get everything I ordered the same, including the limited slip rear end. Good luck to you!
Old 07-13-2012, 09:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

I tow a 15K 5ver. Do not get the heavier camper package or suspension. My dually tows level and perfect all the way around without any help.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Juneau92, did the coolant temp guage rise above normal? I was towing our 10K 5th wheel last summer in similar conditions and the coolant temp guage kept creeping up and up towards hot. The oil temp never got above 240. Now I have a 14K 5th wheel and am going to be going over some steeper passes next week. Honestly, I'm a little worried about overheating. I didn't slow down at all last year with the smaller 5ver though. Maybe I just need to keep the speed down and not push the truck to its limits. I was reading the owners manual (really bored I guess) and it said if the temp guage goes up all the way to hot, the truck will go into reduced power mode and possibly turn off the A/C, but just keep driving as the computers will never let the truck get too hot to damage anything. I dont know if I really trust that but who knows.
sd1979 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-13-2012, 11:02 PM   #9 (permalink)

Here is a link to the thread I have started on/about my trip. Leaving the Phoenix area 248* was not out of the question.....above 275* and I would consider backing down or stopping and I believe that is right where the truck senses a problem and backs down on power.

When I pulled to Flagstaff I pretty much ran 240* almost all the way. I checked with my IR Temp Probe on the oil filter and it was about a 5 degree difference from truck reading. And yes my water temps were up to 3/4 on the "gauge", fan was running and running hard.

Here is the link to my thread

Towing with a 6.7
My Wife's Truck is a 2000 Super Cab, 7.3, DRW, XLT, 4X4,PSD, 6spd, 3.73, Dark Toreador Red, 4in DP, no muffler, 5 inch Black Cloud Slant Cut Stacks, SWAMPED, Stage III's plus a Custom Burned 6 position chip.

'12 Lariat, CC, DRW, 4x4, loaded
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 09:32 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Thanks for the replies, guys. I see some differing opinions here, but as long as the camper package doesn't affect the ride quality what's another $160.00? The truck won't be my daily driver; mostly camping trips towing the 5th wheel.
Any more opinions?
2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2008 Big Horn 5th wheel RV by Heartland model 3670RL. 38' long with 4 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
wpetko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
I think all DRW's come with a sway bar automatically independent of the package. Ford figures people that will be a DRW are planning on towing and a sway bar helps.

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-15-2012, 04:04 PM   #12 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
I have the SRW with the sway bar.... I like it. Although it isn't like you couldn't add a sway bar in afterwards, if you felt you needed it.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:01 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd1979 View Post
Juneau92, did the coolant temp guage rise above normal? I was towing our 10K 5th wheel last summer in similar conditions and the coolant temp guage kept creeping up and up towards hot. The oil temp never got above 240. Now I have a 14K 5th wheel and am going to be going over some steeper passes next week. Honestly, I'm a little worried about overheating. I didn't slow down at all last year with the smaller 5ver though. Maybe I just need to keep the speed down and not push the truck to its limits. I was reading the owners manual (really bored I guess) and it said if the temp guage goes up all the way to hot, the truck will go into reduced power mode and possibly turn off the A/C, but just keep driving as the computers will never let the truck get too hot to damage anything. I dont know if I really trust that but who knows.
You know, I was so focused on the digital oil temp, that I completely neglected the other gauges. Sometimes I wish we didn't have these digital readings on oil, and xmission. I wish we had a oil temp guage in place of the nearly useless (to me) turbo guage. That would be nice, three temp guages, oil, xmission, coolant. Next time I will definantly pay closer attention to the coolant guage when climbing up a steep hill.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Are the analog temperature gauges in the 2011 and up trucks actual functioning gauges or are they like some of the previous model year trucks and just represent what the ecm wants you to see?

Traded:2004 F250CC FX4 XLT Long Bed Torque Shift, $5.00 AIC.
NickBeek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 05:15 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBeek View Post
Are the analog temperature gauges in the 2011 and up trucks actual functioning gauges or are they like some of the previous model year trucks and just represent what the ecm wants you to see?
Yes, they are simply indicating the digitally acquired value reported to the instrument cluster by the ECM. The analog displays can be calibrated digitally using the instrument cluster maintenance mode.
2011 F550 CC Lariat, 4.88 axles - EarthRoamer XV-LT modifications (Integrated camper body, Kelderman Air Suspension, SRW 335/80R20 MPT81 on 20" Hutchinson aluminium bead lock rims, 40Gal Main + 50Gal Transfer Flow Aux tank etc).
BeatMarti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.