Ok so what's happened?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2012, 11:13 PM   #1 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Ok so what's happened??

I was on my way home tonight from eating. When I am pulling out of the parking lot the truck just takes off like I punched it and then it is fine. I get going down the road and it starts surging in 4th gear. Acting like it was running out of fuel. What is the deal. Is this the shutter that everyone talks about

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
20"wheels, 3.55 EL gear, Dual Alternators, FX4, Upfitter Switches, Bullet Liner, Weather Tech mats, Reacon side mirror smoke lens, SCT Live Wire TS with PIP tunes, 4" Delete Pipe

My Wife took ownership of:
2006 F-250 Lariat 6.0L Crew Cab, Black w/ Chrome package, Chrome bug guard and door latches
18" stock wheels, Nitto Tera Grappler, 4" Turbo Back MBRP, AccuFab Power Elbo, Edge Insight Monitor, Tinted Windows, Rhino Liner, Husky Floor Mats, B&W Turnover, Air Horn, ZooDad mod, Recon's all around, ARP studs, EGR Delete, SCT from IDP, and a heavy foot

Turned 100K miles 12-23-11

-Bullet Proofed 103K
-New Head Gaskets 58K
-New EGR Cooler 29K
mlsteele is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlsteele View Post
I was on my way home tonight from eating. When I am pulling out of the parking lot the truck just takes off like I punched it and then it is fine. I get going down the road and it starts surging in 4th gear. Acting like it was running out of fuel. What is the deal. Is this the shutter that everyone talks about

Hi mlsteele,

Have you dropped by your dealership so they can take a look? Additionally, I'm happy to get your case escalated to your regional customer service manager; just send me a PM with your VIN, dealer, mileage, daytime phone number and full name. I'll get to work!

Thanks,

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

My truck does that occasionally to. I think it's all part of the smog stuff choking the engine! I doubt the dealer will be able to diagnose anything unless the check engine light came on and through a code. I don't take mine in to the dealer unless absolutely necessary, because in my past experience they ussually do more harm then good. I like my truck but just live with the occasional quirks that go along with emmission related issues until some new re-map recall is issued.
"SOLD" 2012 F350 CC/SB 6.7 4X4 Lariat, 3:31 Gears
dslbrnr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 07:25 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dslbrnr View Post
My truck does that occasionally to. I think it's all part of the smog stuff choking the engine! I doubt the dealer will be able to diagnose anything unless the check engine light came on and through a code. I don't take mine in to the dealer unless absolutely necessary, because in my past experience they usually do more harm then good. I like my truck but just live with the occasional quirks that go along with emmission related issues until some new re-map recall is issued.

Yeah, we dealership idiots can't fix anything.

Your statement is not only NOT helpful to the topic or the original poster it is also disrespectful to an entire body of professionals. I am sick and tired of the name calling and besmirching of dealerships and technicians receive in these forums. It is not good for the Diesel Stop community and it also turns away many professionals from participating who could be valuable to have around. But hey, if that is what the members here want then we can all continue the bashing and smearing and say nothing when we see it going on.
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Mine gets its panties in a bunch every time it's ready to go into regen...you accelerate and it spits and sputters and then all of a sudden it figures it out and takes off like it should. It's done it since it was new, I don't think it's right but I haven't had it checked out either.

I've got a little list of things I want addressed so it will be visiting a shop in the near future.

Ford Doctor...I appreciate when you do weigh in on subjects, I've taken your advice on a lot of things over the years with all my trucks. Sorry there are a number of morons that don't feel the same.

Past Toys:
2012 Ram 3500 CCSB, 4x4 6.7 Cummins, G56 6 spd

2011 F-250 CCSB, 4x4, 6.7L, 3.31 E-Locker

2009 F-250 CCSB, 4x4, 6.4L,Torqshift, Spartan

2009 Dodge 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 6 spd,

2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic, CCSB, 4x4, Duramax LBZ, Allison 1000, 4" MBRP Cat Back, Diablosport Predator, Edge Insight

2005 F-250 CCSB, 4x4, Torqshift, 4" Cat Back

2004 F-250 CCSB Fx4, 6spd, Bully Dog Intake, Banks 4" turbo back, Edge Juice

2002 F-250 SCSB, 6spd, AFE Intake, ATS Turbo Back Duals, B&D 60hp chip
luke0204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 07:42 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
A shudder would be more likely caused by an upshift event with the transmission but the engine can also make a shudder type feeling. A surge is an engine performance issue. Without experiencing the concern for myself it is hard to say what you have going on here but it does sound like an engine performance/driveability concern.

These trucks actually have very few driveability problems however there have been a couple of calibration updates that address multiple items for the engine and transmission. There is also a service bulletin concerning the turbocharger that corrects an engine shudder by replacing the turbocharger. You should take your truck into your dealership to have it checked. The service bulletins and calibrations may or may not apply depending on the build date of your truck.

Good Luck!
Diesel Mentor Directory
ford_doctor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)
Dak

Ford_Doc -- I have seen too many good techs leave this board over the past years I have been either lurking or a member. I appreciae your input too and I do take my vehicle into the dealer to have them looked at. Sometimes I wait as a number of people (and you) have commented that the problem I am having there is no fix for, yet. And then when one is available I go in and have it done. The previous NoX and driveability update being an example of one.

And I have had my share of bad dealership visits (not just Ford) -- but it always seems to work out in the end.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:28 AM   #8 (permalink)

Crystal
I bet I have more miles (300,000) in fairly heavy service (see Ford.com/trucks/super duty/Men who Own Work) than pretty much any other single owner out there. Overall Ford and Ford techs have taken good care of me and solved any problem they thought were Ford issues. My home dealer is Luther Ford in Fargo ND, Brian is my adviser and Adam is the tech that works on my trucks pretty much exclusively. These are new, very complex motors and like any new thing there is a learning curve, we're on the steep limb of the learning curve. Along the way not every problem is going to be solved to everyone's satisfaction and not every problem is going to have a solution right now. there is a lot to learn, I think you and you tribe are doing a great job trying to keep your heads above water.
Thanks!
tlhort is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 09:33 AM   #9 (permalink)

I will say if you have not had the latest recall done on the truck I would recommend it. I have a 2011 Made in January of 2011 and I had issues when the trans that would surge and give me some small fits here and there. Since the new updates the truck has been great.
fastcarsspeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 06:38 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastcarsspeed View Post
I will say if you have not had the latest recall done on the truck I would recommend it. I have a 2011 Made in January of 2011 and I had issues when the trans that would surge and give me some small fits here and there. Since the new updates the truck has been great.
What "latest recall" are you referring to? Do you have the TSB number?
2011 Jayco Octane T29A Toy Hauler
2004 F250 Lariat CC SRW 6.0L PSD (Traded)
frt2599 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford_doctor View Post
Yeah, we dealership idiots can't fix anything.

Your statement is not only NOT helpful to the topic or the original poster it is also disrespectful to an entire body of professionals. I am sick and tired of the name calling and besmirching of dealerships and technicians receive in these forums. It is not good for the Diesel Stop community and it also turns away many professionals from participating who could be valuable to have around. But hey, if that is what the members here want then we can all continue the bashing and smearing and say nothing when we see it going on.
Hey Ford_Doctor I for one value your opinion on problem solving. The pros here have been very helpful in the past and I hope I can count on you guys in the future. Try and not let the Me and Mrs negative get to you.

Jim
collieguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

I have experienced a similar deal to Steele almost all of the time. When I am easing through a field for example there is a very fine line between acceleration and maintaining a very slow speed. It defiantly "surges" while doing this for any amount of distance. I have also experienced some strange shifts and almost quirky tranny events at times. I looked and drove dodge and Chevy when picking out this truck. I drove ford last and as I suspected if I had drove a ford first I wouldn't have been able to make myself seriously consider anything else. 37k miles so far and I love the truck. Would love to know where this surging issue and the tranny sort of hunting for a gear goes. I don't want to take mine in until I know what they will want to do to it if anything.

2012 6.7 PSD CC 4X4
WWGIII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 08:45 AM   #13 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlhort View Post
Crystal
I bet I have more miles (300,000) in fairly heavy service (see Ford.com/trucks/super duty/Men who Own Work) than pretty much any other single owner out there. Overall Ford and Ford techs have taken good care of me and solved any problem they thought were Ford issues. My home dealer is Luther Ford in Fargo ND, Brian is my adviser and Adam is the tech that works on my trucks pretty much exclusively. These are new, very complex motors and like any new thing there is a learning curve, we're on the steep limb of the learning curve. Along the way not every problem is going to be solved to everyone's satisfaction and not every problem is going to have a solution right now. there is a lot to learn, I think you and you tribe are doing a great job trying to keep your heads above water.
Thanks!
Thank you so much, tlhort! Your comments really made my day; I always love hearing from high-milers such as yourself. If you ever need any assistance, you know how to reach me.

Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 12:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Out of curiosity, how old are your fuel filters? Every single time I've experienced surging on my 6.0L it's just been because the filters needed replacing -- even before the 15k interval, if I had dirty fuel or ran Bio which will dissolve all the crap stuck to your tank.

If it's been a little while, try replacing them and see what happens.
rforsythe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:

I have had these same surge issues. I have also had a couple "false reverse " situations. The surge concerns me. The shifting to "find a gear" also concerns me as this has also happened. The false reverse is this. Go to make a 3 point turn...go forward, brake, then shift into reverse...tap throttle (or not- just rolling) truck surges forward instead...hit brake again...then it goes into reverse fully. This is all at "rolling speeds' (no throttle). This is a bit scary to me....2012 SD 6.7 truck only has 9k on it
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.