The Diesel Stop banner

P20E8 code

197K views 74 replies 31 participants last post by  ford_doctor 
#1 ·
My 2011 F350 just started throwing a P20E8 code. "Reductant Pressure too Low". Can any body tell me what that means. Thanks for the help.

#44 ·
stating the obvious here...........but I REALLY dislike those pumps that have diesel AND def coming out the same nozzle.
It's default is diesel,.....but if you push the button (like every other pump 300 million of us are used to for past 25 yrs) then you get def.

I didn't do that BUT.............I can only imagine how many out there have accidentally hit that button OR NOT hit that button (depending on what they were trying to accomplish)

On top of that.......wouldn't it be safe to assume there is small amounts of either fluid left in the filling hose/pump/system so for instance if you ALWAYS fueled up at that same dual purpose pump.....over time, you theoretically COULD cross contaminate the def with small amounts of diesel and over the long haul.....I"m guessing that COULD possibly play a role in causing CEL related to "def contamination"

#45 ·
P20e8 code

I have a 2011 F-350 and just started throwing p20E8 and 0000 codes. The DEF level warning was at 275 miles till empty. I just got a recall for the system so hopefully it is covered or fixed with it. I will set appointment with dealership and see what happens. Reading other posts this should be covered. Keeping fingers crossed.

#47 ·
I have a 2011 F-350 and just started throwing p20E8 and 0000 codes. The DEF level warning was at 275 miles till empty. I just got a recall for the system so hopefully it is covered or fixed with it. I will set appointment with dealership and see what happens. Reading other posts this should be covered. Keeping fingers crossed.
Welcome to the forum, Ronin84. I'm glad you're heading to the dealership soon so they can check out those codes. What's the current mileage on your rig? Let me know and I'll research options to assist.

Crystal

#51 ·
I can not imagine having Diesel and DEF dispensed from the same pump much less the same hose. That is a disaster just waiting for a victim. Any station that I've been too, that had bulk DEF, had it as a completely different pump on the island, several actually had to get you to move to a different island completely for DEF. Will definitely have to keep my eyes open (and hopefully be fully aware of what I'm doing) to prevent an issue. Thanks.

#52 ·
Bringing and older thread back to the top...

Add one more 2011 F-350 to the ranks of Super Dutys throwing the P20E8 code with steady check engine light.

Truck is 1st Build 2011. F-350 CC Lariat FX4 with 68,000 miles. All recalls and programming up to date. I have the Premium ESP 7yr/100,000, so I'm still covered.

Light first came on about a week ago and I immediately got the truck into the dealership. They replaced the Reductant Pump Assembly and returned the truck back to me yeasterday. Repair covered by ESP; Paid $100 deductible.

I drove the truck about 40 miles with about 5 engine starts and the check engine light came back ON. Same P20E8.

Truck is back with dealer for further diagnostics.

I will keep you all updated. Thanks for following along.

#63 · (Edited)
Bringing and older thread back to the top...

Add one more 2011 F-350 to the ranks of Super Dutys throwing the P20E8 code with steady check engine light.

Truck is 1st Build 2011. F-350 CC Lariat FX4 with 68,000 miles. All recalls and programming up to date. I have the Premium ESP 7yr/100,000, so I'm still covered.

Light first came on about a week ago and I immediately got the truck into the dealership. They replaced the Reductant Pump Assembly and returned the truck back to me yesterday. Repair covered by ESP; Paid $100 deductible.

I drove the truck about 40 miles with about 5 engine starts and the check engine light came back ON. Same P20E8.

Truck is back with dealer for further diagnostics.

I will keep you all updated. Thanks for following along.
Update: 12/7/2015
Ford Dealer additionally replaced the DEF Injector. Upon picking up the truck, the CEL(check engine light) came on again. Service writer plugged computer into truck and checked code on the spot. Same P20E8 as before. I now have truck in my possession and will be getting the truck back to dealer for further workup/repair.

Update: 12/19/2015
I picked up the truck on 12/15 with the problem fixed and no more check engine light. According to the Ford dealer the first Reductant Pump(DEF Pump) they installed turned out to be bad. So in the end they did flow checks after the CEL kept coming back on with the same P20E8. There turned out to be no flow. New pump was installed and the flow was normal. In the mean time the changed the Reductant Injector while they were changing parts trying to figure out why the CEL light kept coming on. So in the end it all worked out. I got a new Reductant Pump and new Reductant Injector for the $100 Ford ESP Deductible. Downside was in all it didn't have my truck for 19 days. Over the past 4 days I drove the truck 800 miles with no problems.

Update: 12/24/2015
Check Engine Light is back on. My code reader shows it is the same P20E8. It has been 9 days and 950miles since the truck was picked up. Back to for dealer on Monday for the 4th time.

Short recap:
CEL came on. 11/24
Truck to dealer (1st time) 11/27
New DEF Pump, pickup truck 12/1
CEL back on. 12/1
Truck dropped back off at dealer (2nd time) 12/1
New DEF Injector, pickup truck 12/5
CEL back on. 12/5
Going back to dealer (3rd time) 12/7
2nd NEW DEF Pump installed, pickup truck 12/15
Going back to dealer (4th time) 12/28
Update: 1/8/2016
The ford dealer has had the truck for another 5 business days. So far they are telling me, "that the 'engineers' at the 'Ford Hot-Line' are having them run tests on the system." On a positive note, I have the ESP and the dealership is providing me with a loaner/rental car. On the flip side I own a F-350 and not a Focus for a reason.

Short recap:
CEL came on. 11/24
CEL back on. 12/1
CEL back on. 12/5
Still at dealership 1/8/2016

#53 · (Edited)
Update: 12/7/2015
Ford Dealer additionally replaced the DEF Injector. Upon picking up the truck, the CEL(check engine light) came on again. Service writer plugged computer into truck and checked code on the spot. Same P20E8 as before. I now have truck in my possession and will be getting the truck back to dealer for further workup/repair.

Update: 12/19/2015
I picked up the truck on 12/15 with the problem fixed and no more check engine light. According to the Ford dealer the first Reductant Pump(DEF Pump) they installed turned out to be bad. So in the end they did flow checks after the CEL kept coming back on with the same P20E8. There turned out to be no flow. New pump was installed and the flow was normal. In the mean time the changed the Reductant Injector while they were changing parts trying to figure out why the CEL light kept coming on. So in the end it all worked out. I got a new Reductant Pump and new Reductant Injector for the $100 Ford ESP Deductible. Downside was in all it didn't have my truck for 19 days. Over the past 4 days I drove the truck 800 miles with no problems.

Update: 12/24/2015
Check Engine Light is back on. My code reader shows it is the same P20E8. It has been 9 days and 950miles since the truck was picked up. Back to for dealer on Monday for the 4th time.

Short recap:
CEL came on. 11/24
CEL back on. 12/1
CEL back on. 12/5

Reactions: T diesel
#54 ·
have them take a sample of the fluid. most times, the lack of tank pressure is often due to def contamination. they really should have done this prior to installing a new pump. seeing as how contamination voids warranty (unfortunately). you may have to try and claim through your insurance company if that is the case. unfortunately, fords pinpoint test for the p20e8 is not very conclusive. probably the reason you see many multiple pump replacements before finding the root cause. the test requests that you remove the def injector, and run a dosing test. that is, measure the amount of def injected into a graduated cylinder, within a specified time. then, to use a refractometer, or other means, and test that fluid for contamination. however, if you are unable to build tank pressure (p20e8), how can you even have a sample from the injector!? you can't. have to use common sense on that i guess. because the next step for this perticular code is to replace the pump.
i mention this because i ran into this code today. ran the dosing test. which was a waste of time, as ihad 0psi tank pressure, so clearly would not get any injection. but, that's what the pinpoint test requests. dropped the tank, removed the filler neck, poured out a sample. sure enough, milkshake. probably diesel additive. definitely some sort of petroleum product. causes the suction lines, seals, everything to swell. replacement of the entire system is required.

#55 · (Edited)
Thank you for the reply 'kaya'

The thought of contamination has crossed my mind numerous times, especially after reading threads in which that is the main problem. There are 2 reasons I do not believe contamination is the culprit. First reason I am the only one with access to the truck and I have not poured a product or substance down the fill tube other than DEF. Second reason is that the ford dealer tells me they checked for contamination initially and there was none.

#56 ·
CEL came on in my truck today.
Not sure of code yet, haven't taken it in.
I figure it is something with the DEF system since I try and go to the screen to show how much DEF I have.... sometimes it's there as an option and then sometimes it isn't there as an option.
Just seems coincidental that it comes as goes on the screen and my CEL just came on.....
Drop it off at the dealer on Monday.
34,000 miles, 2012.

I need my truck in the next 2 weeks. Going to be putting 1500 miles on it over the holidays.

#57 ·
I just experienced my first Check Engine Light and Emissions Systems failure. I'd recommend getting a small wireless OBD2 reader; either bluetooth or WiFi(wifi needed for iOS device.) I bought one via amazon for $14. Then I bought an app for $5, for my iPhone. I've kept it basic and that setup allows me to read and clear codes, plus view various other parameters live. My plan is to keep the reader in my truck for future Check Engine Lights.

#58 ·
That's a great idea.
I'm gonna go to Amazon now.

Update, I added another 2.5 gallons of DEF, I couldn't get it all to fit in, so I know it is full.

Menu still says under 1/2 full.
So I know my issue is something wrong with this system.

Hopefully this is covered under my 5 year emissions warranty.
If not, $100 isn't bad.

#59 ·
Bubba281 - the OBD reader won't be able to clear emission faults. The software update will give you a better limp mode so you don't get stuck in an intersection though. Carry an extra sensor like many of us.

Linc - Emissions are 8/80K now. What screen is showing your DEF level? I don't have that one.

#60 ·
Sorry, I meant the regular screen that shows either full or below 1/2.

Me CEL went away today, but my DEF still shows below 1/2. I'm still taking to dealer tomorrow for them to pull the code and check it out.

#68 ·
OK, so I have both codes (P20E8 and P202D) popped last night pointing toward TSB 11-12-3, leaky reductant pump. I am assuming that since there is a TSB stating "replace reductant pump" that when both codes present at the same time it is most certainly the pump vs. the other 5-6 listed potential parts of an P20E8 only? Question #2, should I replace heater/sending unit while I have the tank out, or am I overkilling this?

Planning on doing this myself as the labor on these things being more than I can currently justify, while having a shop full of tools and decent mechanical abilities myself. Also can buy both parts (if needed) on ebay for same or less than pump alone through dealership.

#69 ·
I have a DEF question. Just recently purchased my first diesel and dealing with a steep learning curve. The truck is a 2011 F250 6.7 power stroke. I have a check engine light that when I had the codes read, multiple codes came up mostly dealing with reductant pressure. It was recommended to replace the DEF module. The truck drives fine. What does this DEF module do and what is happening when it fails?

#70 ·
Low Reductant Pressue

My CEL came on in my 2011 F250. I ran the code and it was "Low Reductant Pressure". I took it to my local Ford dealership, and they said it needed a new reductant pump, not covered under my extended PT warranty. $800
The day after I picked my truck up, the light came back on, same code. Its now back at the dealership. Can someone please help?

#72 ·
Basically as I understand the code, you are not spraying any DEF into the exhaust. The emissions might be higher but ought not affect anything as the nozzle is after the DPT.

Reactions: Grassyknoll
#75 ·
P20E8 means the DEF pump cannot build pressure therefore the SCR system is down and the truck is no longer emissions compliant - It is likely the truck will turn on the check engine light and enter a de-rate condition that steps down to 5 MPH.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.