Power post NOX recall - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2012, 12:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Power post NOX recall

Hi all,
My 2011 6.7 350SBCC is not the same truck since the new flash. I never had tranny issues or any sensor CELs and was tempted to ask the dealer not to comply.
I have put about 3500 miles since the flash and have noticed a big jump in the number of regens but it really has not affected the overall mileage. I thought no big deal till this past weekend.
Took the 12k Toyhauler up the CA coast to Oregon and hills that it loafed up in 4th at 58 to 62 mph (CA is 55 max for any towing and the CHP is very active now days) it's now pinned and will not accelerate like it would before. I say its down about 10% on real working power. Not unloaded around town power but what this thing is meant to do power. It used to be happy in 6th with a little roll in of power for small hills now it gives up almost immediately and gives up on 5th as well on anything over about 3%.
It's not anything maintenance related either as all filters and such are fine, it's the new software. Any body else noticed this? Your in for a very rude awakening.
Stsmark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Mine did the same thing about 1,000 miles after the flash. It ran like that for 2,000 miles with what seemed like reduced power and regenning frequently in an attempt to clean its poopy diaper. All of a sudden it came out of its funk and is now working more like normal, but still not like it did when new. For a while I was really angry about it, now that it's starting to come back it's tolerable and hopefully continues on the upward swing.

Past Toys:
2012 Ram 3500 CCSB, 4x4 6.7 Cummins, G56 6 spd

2011 F-250 CCSB, 4x4, 6.7L, 3.31 E-Locker

2009 F-250 CCSB, 4x4, 6.4L,Torqshift, Spartan

2009 Dodge 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 6 spd,

2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic, CCSB, 4x4, Duramax LBZ, Allison 1000, 4" MBRP Cat Back, Diablosport Predator, Edge Insight

2005 F-250 CCSB, 4x4, Torqshift, 4" Cat Back

2004 F-250 CCSB Fx4, 6spd, Bully Dog Intake, Banks 4" turbo back, Edge Juice

2002 F-250 SCSB, 6spd, AFE Intake, ATS Turbo Back Duals, B&D 60hp chip
luke0204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 07:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

This just sounds ridiculous to me.. I have read this from several people on here and even on other sites.. Why the hell would ford do this? I was really looking forward to ordering one of these trucks this fall and I was really excited with how little they were going into regen and how great the power and mileage was, now all three of those are worse from a simple computer flash, that is just plain stupid. what is wrong with ford?

From what I have been reading the ford has been doing better than the duramax in mileage and towing power until this flash, and now the duramax is doing better.

Is this flash just for the 2011 trucks or are the 2012 the same?
1999 F350 7.3 Dump
9' Fisher plow
2.5 Yard Hi-Way Sander
2002 F250 5.4 ext.cab short bed
8' SS Fisher X-Blade
Jguck25 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 10:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm assuming they would all be the same...it's the latest strategy for the 6.7L, probably the '12s were getting it at the factory.

I'm kind of disappointed...not sure where I'd be going if I had to have a new truck. We like my wife's Cummins, but it doesn't do as well in the mileage department. Haven't run a duramax since I almost upgraded my 2007 with a new one in 2010, but peer pressure took me to my 2009 Cummins at the time.

Past Toys:
2012 Ram 3500 CCSB, 4x4 6.7 Cummins, G56 6 spd

2011 F-250 CCSB, 4x4, 6.7L, 3.31 E-Locker

2009 F-250 CCSB, 4x4, 6.4L,Torqshift, Spartan

2009 Dodge 2500 QCSB, 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, 6 spd,

2007 Chevy 2500HD Classic, CCSB, 4x4, Duramax LBZ, Allison 1000, 4" MBRP Cat Back, Diablosport Predator, Edge Insight

2005 F-250 CCSB, 4x4, Torqshift, 4" Cat Back

2004 F-250 CCSB Fx4, 6spd, Bully Dog Intake, Banks 4" turbo back, Edge Juice

2002 F-250 SCSB, 6spd, AFE Intake, ATS Turbo Back Duals, B&D 60hp chip

Last edited by luke0204; 08-03-2012 at 10:54 AM.
luke0204 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 11:08 AM   #5 (permalink)

Mine is a 2011, (built July 2010) It has been flashed twice since I bought it.

I have not noticed any drop in mileage or an increase in regens and my power still seems to be normal. And I am towing 7-8% grades with 13,000 lbs loads every week. So I think I would notice if the power had dropped off. My fuel milage is still consistent with my average over the life of my truck.

If anything, I think my regens have gotten less. But I tow so much, most of my regens are Passive. Parleys Canyon on I-80 is a 20 mile grind at 2-7% grade, It keeps my EGTS up over 900į for 20-25 minutes.

Is the reflash that you are concerned about a recent one? My truck has not been reflashed since last fall

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 12:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Yes it is the flash in connection with a recall notice I got in the mail. Like I stated I would have left it alone, it was perfect. Except I had heard about some of the troubles folks were having with CELs from the NOX and O2 sensors and figured Ford had solved those problems and sent a recall to prompt folks to do it.

35 years of fixing Corporate Jets I learned to not blindly do Service Bulletins if the plane was happy as designed because sometimes the cure can be worse than the cause. I hope mine sorts itself out cause she's just not the same. I could care less about the regens because the mileage was not really knocked down overall.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
12 b 33 turned a about flawless truck into a regen fool.mileage down the toilet.
About every 90 miles no matter what.cts aint lieing.
One particular hill i cud pull it way faster than i needed easy.now its lay the pedal on floor, and dont come close to how it was. Weight tickets almost identacal.fuel same place most of the time. Just hopeing they get it fiqured out. But still love the truck.
2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC,LB, SRW 3.31 ELD.Vermillion Red.Bakflip HD,Spray in bedliner. Tint all windows.Edge Insite CTS. DDM Tuning,Hi/Low HID'S (H13,55W.Bull Bar. red grill lettering/stainless tailgate letters.AMI chrome locking fuel door.Plazma light bar.
2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC.LB SRW Oxford white. (FORD BUY BACK)!!!
2009 F-250 Superduty 6.4. CC.LB SRW Trade in.
2010 Ford Focus. All the bells and whistles. Red Wifey's econo box
1994 F-150.XLT.5.8 litre 351. E4ODE.Extended cab LB. 198,000 miles.Don't use a drop of oil.
Hdslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-03-2012, 04:23 PM   #8 (permalink)

I am under the impression that the flash was for trucks built prior to January 2012. Mine was built in May of this year and I had them check to see if it had the latest calibration when I had it back to the dealer. I was told there is not a newer flash for mine but I assumed it had the same program that they are using to update the trucks built prior to January 2012. I have a little over 4,200 miles on mine and am very pleased with the performance and mileage. I pull a trailer that's a little under 10,000 lbs and that probably accounts for about 1/2 of the mileage that's on it now and I have never noticed it doing a regen. It could be I just miss it when it happens and I have the basic info display. Last trip with the trailer I got 12.5 MPG and there are a lot of hills on part of that trip.
gearhead1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 12:17 AM   #9 (permalink)

Headed home tomorrow, we'll see I'm gonna work it some more. I'll ask the dealer next week if I can go back to previous software load. I want my buddy back, I was trusting this truck like my 01 7.3. Mine was built 12-2010 and has been perfect except for a seat A/C module.
Old 08-04-2012, 02:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

I had mine reflashed about a month ago. And pulling it seamed like it lacked power after the flash. Empty it seams like it runs stronger i figured it might just be me.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
I'm ordering a '13 later this year & you've all got me worried. Does Ford still advertise 400 hp & 800 ft/lb torque? Can they legally do that if the new flash has detuned the engine?
How about you '12 owners whose trucks are too new to require the reflash? Is everything OK regarding power, mileage & regens? I would really like to know before ordering.
Thanks in advance.
2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2014 Lifestyle (formerly Carriage) 5th wheel 38' long with 3 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
wpetko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2012, 12:17 PM   #12 (permalink)

Like somebody said in another thread...'I forgot I had a trailer behind me'. I have a 2012 built in December.

Leo
Old 08-04-2012, 01:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

I have a 2011 early production 250 diesel. I had the recall on the nox done about 2 months ago. They said it just needed the flash. Now the cel light came on the other day and they said I need the nox sensor. They think maybe the tech didn't do the recall on it correctly the first time and that's why the computer said not to replace it. Any thoughts on the issue would be great. I have had issues with this truck and I still can't get the delayed shift from park to rev or drive. I have had ford CS rep help and Cory but all they do is tell you to take it to the dealer.
chiro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 08:51 AM   #14 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stsmark View Post
Headed home tomorrow, we'll see I'm gonna work it some more...
I wanted to check in to see how your truck is driving after the dealer visit, Stsmark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luke0204 View Post
...All of a sudden it came out of its funk and is now working more like normal, but still not like it did when new...
Thanks for the update, luke0204; please let me know how it improves and drop me a line via PM with your contact information, VIN, mileage, and dealer details for me to escalate this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p_stroke_197 View Post
I had mine reflashed about a month ago. And pulling it seamed like it lacked power after the flash. Empty it seams like it runs stronger i figured it might just be me.
I want to see you happy with your truckís power, p_stroke_197; please send me the above details so I can escalate the case up the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jguck25 View Post
...Is this flash just for the 2011 trucks or are the 2012 the same?
Quote:
Originally Posted by luke0204 View Post
I'm assuming they would all be the same...
Jguck25 & luke0204,

My technical adviser said depending on the build date of the vehicle and what PCM software level the vehicle is, itís possible to have multiple updates when the dealer does the programming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
Mine is a 2011, (built July 2010) It has been flashed twice since I bought it.

I have not noticed any drop in mileage or an increase in regens and my power still seems to be normal...
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1011 View Post
...I have a little over 4,200 miles on mine and am very pleased with the performance and mileage...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakedriver View Post
Like somebody said in another thread...'I forgot I had a trailer behind me'. I have a 2012 built in December...
Painted Horse, gearhead1011, & Leo,

I appreciate the updates, guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hdslider View Post
...fuel same place most of the time. Just hopeing they get it fiqured out. But still love the truck.
Iím glad you love your truck, Hdslider; I have your contact details from before, so please donít hesitate to shoot me a PM and Iíll arrange for the Customer Service Manager from your area to call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpetko View Post
...Does Ford still advertise 400 hp & 800 ft/lb torque?...
Iíll do some checking on your questions, wpetko; please stay tuned.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiro View Post
...I have had issues with this truck and I still can't get the delayed shift from park to rev or drive...
chiro,

Have you had a chance to visit the dealer since we last messaged in March? Please let me know via PM.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-06-2012, 09:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
My truck was built on Feb 14, 2012 and I took delivery of it in March. Haven't been back to the dealer since I picked it up, so not sure of the flash on it. Pulls/Tows like a train. Decent mileage, better than my 06 did.
If it is true that the flash is for 2011 models and you guys are losing power, I can't imagine how torquey your motors were before the flash.
I can break the rear tires loose on my truck whenever I want from a dead stop. I can't imagine having even more power......

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.