The Diesel Stop banner

Problem with Dorman fuel filter cap?

5K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  djousma 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I joined the forum because I'm having a problem diagnosing a problem with my 2012 F250. I just replaced the fuel filter/water separator on my truck and of course the cap on the frame filter broke. So I called NAPA and ordered a replacement. It's made by Dorman, when I received it I switched the water sensor and the drain plug to the new cap and then put the new O-ring on the housing and installed the filter and cap. Now when I try and start it I have to cycle the key about 10 times and fuel starts pouring out of the drain hole on the cap. The yellow drain plug is as tight as it can go but it almost seems like its not long enough to block the hole? Has anyone had or heard of any issues like this before?

#2 ·
It sounds like maybe one of the orings could have fallen off the drain plug, or more likely its not completely compatible with the Motorcraft version. You may need to get a matching drain plug for the Dorman, or get the Motorcraft version of the fuel bowl. The OEM fuel bowl is only about $16 online, and can be had in a day or two.

#6 ·
Hi folks, new guy here...
I have the same problem.. My local Ford dealer told me he couldn't get "just the filter bowl".. Wanted to sell me the 400.00 pump ass'y , I got a Dorman.. Dirty Martini is correct.. The OEM drain plug won't stop fuel flow when installed... Please tell me how to order the Motorcraft parts on line...I'll need the drain valve and a new filter bowl...
Thanks,
JIM...................

#7 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.