Projected serivce costs from dealer - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2012, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Projected serivce costs from dealer

Hope this is the proper place for this question. new to the site and a new 2011 F-250 6.7 owner. I expect to put about 15K on my vehicle each year and 30% will be towing @ 10,000 trailer load, other wise combined city and highway driving 50/50. What should I expect to pay for dealer performed scheduled services each year.

I know this is subject to location and dealer hourly rates but I can't seem to get a handle on it so I thought some anectodal real life experience may help. the dealer is pushing for a 6 year 100K premium service plan at 7,500 mile intervals that reportedly coveres all service requirements; fluids, belts break pads, wear items, checks, adjustments, etc and I am not sure it is cost effective but have little to base this on.
horsehauler23 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 11:17 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Based on my quick calculations when I bought, I decided to get the pre-paid svc....

Even though my calcs showed savings, it was more of a convenience factor and "one less thing I have to do" thing... Did this on both my current vehicles and in the case of the wife's audi it saved me bunches !

I used to have the time and enjoy working on my vehicles, now I enjoy driving them and dropping them off for service
Old 04-01-2012, 02:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

thatis my thinking

While I can do the oil, filter and other minor work it would be more of a convenience and hopefully savings using the service agreement. It is just harder to find the time to do these things and regualr maintenance is a big factor for me. I want it done to keep things right, just dealers can get pricy. Haven't had a ford for 7 years last was a F150 that was dealer maintained through warranty period then indy or myself doing most of the work but the diesel seems much more involved and would rather use the dealer.

Perhaps others can offer pricing/cost experience for the routine 7,500 mile maintenance checks as it look like I average two a year. .

thanks for the feedback.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

i bought a 6 yr / 125k plan with the 5k interval. is the premium care maintenance plan. the 5k interval is the "heavy service" schedule package. so it is 25 visits, with all service done to the heavy schedule. that means oil every 5k, coolant in 60k, fuel filters every 15k, cabin air filters / engine air filters, transfer /diffs every 60k, the whole nine yards. every oil change they fill the DEF, the washer fluid, check all the other fluids, etc. all wear items right down to wiper blades, and rotate tires every oil change. i did this as i do some stop and go city driving in addition to a good bit of towing my camper and equipment trailer. so the combo of towing and then perhaps a good bit of slow speed driving / idling had me pay up for the heavy service schedule. ford says idling more than 10 mins per hour of driving you should follow the heavy schedule. also i expect to go through brakes faster, and i get as many as 5 brakejobs done over the 125k.

the cost for this was $3745 plus sales tax. there was an option to use full synthetic oil, but i did not do that. IIRC, it was like another $1000 or so upcharge to what i paid. i feel very good about the price, given what is being done. i plan to watch the paperwork very closely, of course, to make sure they follow the schedule to a T. i tend to think that they won't, of course. trust but verify is my motto.

link for the service schedule:

http://www.dieselpowernetwork.net/ma...-schedule.html

2006 F350 4X4 6.0L Lariat

Last edited by willingtonpaul; 04-01-2012 at 06:27 PM.
willingtonpaul is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2012, 07:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
Why not open up your manual, look at what it says and ask the dealer what it would cost to do each independent item?

Dealers vary by what they charge for a diesel oil change by a ton. I got an oil change and tire rotation in Salt Lake City, UT for $90 (including tax). Here in Miami, the dealer wants $159 (special) to $199 regular just for an oil change and no tire rotation...

I am still in the DIY maintenance category and I didn't feel like paying the extra $100 per month on my bank note it would cost to get the maintenance plan...
Old 04-01-2012, 07:38 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post

I am still in the DIY maintenance category and I didn't feel like paying the extra $100 per month on my bank note it would cost to get the maintenance plan...
ford will allow you to finance the service contract at 0% interest.....

IIRC the longest you could go at 0% was to match the term of the contrtact. so 6 yr plan = 6yrs at 0%. that works out in my case to $52 a month....

Old 04-01-2012, 08:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

The plan i am looking at is the premium service plan for 72 months/100K. will run about 3900 including tax, covers 13 visits. Basically $300 per visit averaged, I know it will pay when it is brake job time and trans fluid time just wasn't sure about the costs for oil changes and fluid top offs as well as all the checks if I was paying out of pocket each time.

I have often been concerend that most check ups on modern vehicles are always oil and oil filter plus a lot of visual checks, not much else so a $350 oil change on a honda, toyota or saab (my other Cars) always ticked me off when I caould take care of it for $50 using synthetic. Then every third you get an air filter or cabin filter + the checks but never brakes and belts, wear items, etc. that the ford plan will cover.

I'm starting to think it will add up and be money well spent. I am in the Philadelphia area where service isn't cheap at any dealer. Will call around this week and get pricing for various services levels.
Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsehauler23 View Post
The plan i am looking at is the premium service plan for 72 months/100K. will run about 3900 including tax, covers 13 visits. Basically $300 per visit averaged, I know it will pay when it is brake job time and trans fluid time just wasn't sure about the costs for oil changes and fluid top offs as well as all the checks if I was paying out of pocket each time.

I have often been concerend that most check ups on modern vehicles are always oil and oil filter plus a lot of visual checks, not much else so a $350 oil change on a honda, toyota or saab (my other Cars) always ticked me off when I caould take care of it for $50 using synthetic. Then every third you get an air filter or cabin filter + the checks but never brakes and belts, wear items, etc. that the ford plan will cover.

I'm starting to think it will add up and be money well spent. I am in the Philadelphia area where service isn't cheap at any dealer. Will call around this week and get pricing for various services levels.
that price is too high for that plan. it can be negotiated down. the finance / business office person is on commission with this plan, and there is alot of flexibility in pricing. i would haggle with them hard. i got 25 visits for $3745 plus 6.35% CT sales tax.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:08 AM   #9 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
In Florida insurance/maintenance plans are regulated... Can't negotiate the price... Gotta buy the plan when I leave the state if I was going to do it and get a discount. Nice to know you can get 0% financing on the plan though.

A little late for me to buy the plan, since my truck is over a year and has over 16k miles on it, anyways. My other issue is that I haven't kept a vehicle longer than 3/36 in a long time. Although the way things are going, this might be the one I keep for 10+ years.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:23 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Dak,
can't you call around as it is available nationally ?!?

I am in the dfw area and I bought from a dealer in Washington state that gave me the best deal...
Old 04-02-2012, 09:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

Horsehauler.

The few oil changes I've taken it in for have have run around $75. ( $95 with the tire rotation, but I let the tire places rotate since they do it for free) Ford Owners Advantage gives every 5th oil change free. So they average out to be about $60 per oil change at my local dealer.

Fuel Filter changes are $150 bucks. Fuel Filters are $48 online and it takes 15 minutes to change, so I do my own. But if you added them to the above oil changes you would increase your avg by ( 150/2=$75) So $60 + $75 = $135 avg per oil change every 7500 miles.

The air filter is $12 online and I change mine out every other oil change ( the same as the fuel filter) It's another 5 minute job. But lets assume the dealer charges $50 for that. add another $25 to the avg and now you are $165

My Transmission flust at 30,000 miles cost me $200 divide that by 4 and that averages $40 per oil change, bumping the average to $205.

DEF is around 7.5 gallons per oi change or about $18.00 per oil change, so now we are at $223 for the avg

About every other oil change you will need to do a "Check Coolant" test. Some dealers do that for free, Some charge. I would imagine you will pay $50 -$75 bucks for that. So lets divide $75 by 2 and add to the average the average now is at $260. If they do a coolant flush and refill at 60,000, that will run $250 Which adds another $31 to the avg for a total of $291 per 7500 miles

I suspect you will do your brakes once in that 125,000 miles. Maybe twice, So you can figure what your brake wear will be. My 2000 and 2003 trucks needed brakes redone about 36,000 to 40,000 miles, Since Ford enlarged the rotors in 2005 my 2006 trucks brakes lasted around 70,000 miles and my current 2011 has 55,000 miles and looks like the brakes will easily make the 65-70k distance. The larger rotors and better exhaust braking help extend the brake life. If they include brake jobs, then you are coming out ahead.

So if you are paying an average of $300 per oil change and getting both the transmission and coolant flushes in that average, You are probably getting a reasonible deal. If it's just oil changes and filters, You are paying too much. Plus the dealers are betting that you won't make all your service intervals. They know the average owner will sell his truck before 7 years are up or he will move away or be on the road when a service is needed.

Personally for me, I'll just pay as I go.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-02-2012, 11:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

thank you all for your comments especially painted horse with your detailed analysis. I keep my vehicles 9-12 years and and am meticulous with maintenance to ensure they run trouble free. Just wasn't sure of the overall costs for the deisel since this is my first and from this discussion they don't seem to be disimilar to the other trucks/cars I have owned. Brakes, drive belts, hoses, wiper blades that are covered in the plan seem to be the outliers from other service plans I have looked at and I know 3 of the four aren't goig to break the bank. The brakes on these vehicles with moderate towing @30% of time at 10,000lbs seem to last a very long time and I may get the use of one full change from the plan based on projected mileage. So I mostly will be covering oil/filter, DEF, visual inspections, fuel, air filters and a few trans fluid changes. I know I'll have the truck for very long time as I had 235,000 on my 12 Year old Tundra I traded on the new f-250 so I'll fully use all the service visits.

once again thanks !
Old 04-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painted Horse View Post
Horsehauler.

Plus the dealers are betting that you won't make all your service intervals. They know the average owner will sell his truck before 7 years are up or he will move away or be on the road when a service is needed.
if you sell or trade the truck you get a pro-rated rebate of the unused portion of the plan.....

Old 04-08-2012, 07:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

Went with ford directly on the ford owner website, dealer not to happy about it but I saved just shy of 2 grand on a 72 month/100k service plan. thanks to all for your input. Only potential hick-up was with the DEF, Ford rep stated ford will cover for all existing plans but may drop the DEF in the future from plans.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:55 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
oil chnages are about $160 and you rotate the tires at each OC.

trans oil flush is about $300

Coolant flush is about the same.

If you really only drive 15000 a year oil chnages is about all you should see for a while.

I average 25k a year.
Traded March 2013
2008 F450 CC Lariat White/Gold, JAD Solutions Lights, 62 Gal Titan, B&W Hitch, Gold Remote Start, TruckTrunk box, Viair 550+2x2.5gal receiver, 2010 NAV and Sync
---------------------
Traded In Nov 07:
2003 F250 CC LB XLT 4x2 PowerStroke, Captains Chairs, White/Parchment, Torqshift, Heated Mirrors, Trailer hitch
guardrail22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.