Radiator replacement... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Radiator replacement...

Betsy goes in tomorrow for a radiator replacement. Tech said that it has a crack aside of the drain plug. I noticed from time to time a drop or two directly below the front bumper on the drivers side...I just dismissed it as moisture coming off the truck in the morning or I had run through a puddle or something. About ten days ago I got under and looked and I could see what I thought looked like tranny fluid... had what I thought was the reddish look (condenser lines running right above where the fluid was). Took it in was standing there when the tech crawled under said nope orange radiator fluid. They topped off the overflow gave me the remainder of the gallon and sent me on my way said they would call me when the radiator was in. Got a call Tues said it was in I told them I would leave it with them Thursday evening and pick it up Friday afternoon. In the mean time that drip has now turned into a little more than a drip it leaves about a saucer size spot every time I park for more than thirty minutes. Over night it will leave a dinner plate size spot. I had under 36000 mi on it when I took it in a week ago but now its has over 36000 mi hopefully there will be no issues. Does the radiator fall under the power train warranty? Just curious....

Bruce
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2011, 12:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (1)
Any other troubles with cooling system, like warning lights? Guess it had not leaked enough coolant to produce a warning light...just curious.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:21 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HorseMan-AR View Post
Any other troubles with cooling system, like warning lights? Guess it had not leaked enough coolant to produce a warning light...just curious.
A couple of days ago I had the expansion tank cover replaced (warranty of course). The cover would not hold enough pressure - consequently I was loosing about a quart of coolant over 1000+ miles by evaporation. I noticed from the start that I could smell coolant when I got out of the truck after driving a while, but I could never find any leaks or drops and never saw any change in engine oil level.

If you smell coolant after driving for a while - check that cover!
2011 F550 CC Lariat, 4.88 axles - EarthRoamer XV-LT modifications (Integrated camper body, Kelderman Air Suspension, SRW 335/80R20 MPT81 on 20" Hutchinson aluminium bead lock rims, 40Gal Main + 50Gal Transfer Flow Aux tank etc).
BeatMarti is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2011, 03:13 PM   #4 (permalink)

Cap. Not cover.
Redneck Fiber Works is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-30-2011, 10:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the information. I've only got 700 miles on mine, but I can smell either coolant or maybe just the new engine breaking in...after I drive the interstate and get the engine hot. I'll monitor the cap!
Old 04-30-2011, 10:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

I don't know if the 6.7 has a similar coolant overflow bottle, but here's a simple mod that will let you keep an eye on pressures:

A little... redneck'ish, but it works. I know, the gauge range is a little overkill, but I haven't gotten around to a smaller gauge range.
Redneck Fiber Works is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2011, 01:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntnbolt1 View Post
Betsy goes in tomorrow for a radiator replacement. Tech said that it has a crack aside of the drain plug. I noticed from time to time a drop or two directly below the front bumper on the drivers side...I just dismissed it as moisture coming off the truck in the morning or I had run through a puddle or something. About ten days ago I got under and looked and I could see what I thought looked like tranny fluid... had what I thought was the reddish look (condenser lines running right above where the fluid was). Took it in was standing there when the tech crawled under said nope orange radiator fluid. They topped off the overflow gave me the remainder of the gallon and sent me on my way said they would call me when the radiator was in. Got a call Tues said it was in I told them I would leave it with them Thursday evening and pick it up Friday afternoon. In the mean time that drip has now turned into a little more than a drip it leaves about a saucer size spot every time I park for more than thirty minutes. Over night it will leave a dinner plate size spot. I had under 36000 mi on it when I took it in a week ago but now its has over 36000 mi hopefully there will be no issues. Does the radiator fall under the power train warranty? Just curious....

Bruce
Mine is getting a new radiator today. Mine was leaking in the same spot.
2003.5 RAM 3500 Laramie CC DRW 4X4
1997 RAM 2500 SC Laramie SRW 4X4
1996 F250 Lariat 4X4
1989 F250 Lariat SRW 4X2
All diesels
All 8' beds
I don't have the time or memory to list all the gassers I've owned.
skidmarks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 09:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

New rad too

Hi to all
2011 f350 Lariat CC 4x4 with 85000 km
Well just got mine back from the dealer last week, same thing slow leak at the drain area. I bought mine in july last year and notice a fluid lose in the fall, by the spring when I found the leak area I was out of warranty(72000) km. the dealer advised me they would cover the cost, 1100.00 minus 200.00. They are good guys I could have been stuck with the whole bill. There is always a BUT in these things, I noticed on the invoice when I picked up the truck that is stated "units sold between March and sept of 2010 could have defective rads" soooo guys keep a close eye on your fluid levels.
Don
roadtech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 08:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

Mine is at the dealer now with the same issue. I have about 42,000 miles and the dealer says it is $1700 to replace the radiator! This is ridiculoius. when I buy a $60K+ truck, I should be able to expect the radiator to not leak! I've asked him to check to see what he can do.

Wondering if Ford Customer Service on here might be able to help?

2004 F-350 CC Lariat, LB, 4x4. 6.0L 205K TRADED IN

2004 F-250 CC Lariat, LB, 4x4. 7.3L 198K TRADED IN
brockb961 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 09:40 AM   #10 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by brockb961 View Post
Mine is at the dealer now with the same issue. I have about 42,000 miles and the dealer says it is $1700 to replace the radiator! This is ridiculoius. when I buy a $60K+ truck, I should be able to expect the radiator to not leak! I've asked him to check to see what he can do.

Wondering if Ford Customer Service on here might be able to help?
brockb961,

Iím happy to help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. So I can do this, please send a PM with your contact info, VIN, dealer name/state, and mileage.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #11 (permalink)

My dealer is working on this now. I'll let you know if I need further help. thanks.

Old 12-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #12 (permalink)

Might I suggest FORD as an acronym for Failed On Radiator Design............
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 141K
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 205K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 12:00 AM   #13 (permalink)

Can you guys post a picture of the leak location? Thanks
boyeraz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2011, 09:35 PM   #14 (permalink)

At 32000 mi i've notice a very small dime size drop where i park in my garage every a couple of days.
Took it in and found a leak around the drain plug,it took them about 4 days to get the new radiator......36000 mi now with the new rad with no issues.
Old 12-15-2011, 11:49 AM   #15 (permalink)

BOYERAZ - The truck is at the dealer now, so I don't have the ability to take a picture, but my issue is the same as 6.7psd had - a crack in the radiator around the drain plug. I should get it back today with a new radiator. Ford/dealer is covering the cost of replacement even though it is out of warranty, with a $150 deductible.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.