Transmission Temp - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2013, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Transmission Temp

Greetings, Friends!
I haven't towed with my new '13 yet. Driving solo I'm seeing transmission temps anywhere from 195 degrees F - 205 degrees F. On my '05 with a good Autometer trans temp gauge (see sig) I only saw temps like that when towing heavy on a VERY hot day. Is it normal to see these temps when driving solo? What can I expect when towing (+ or - 16,000#)? What would be considered "hot" for these transmissions?
Question #2:
I keep hearing about EGT indications. The only temps I can see on my productivity screen are oil temp and trans temp. Does anyone know how to pull up the EGT?
Thanks in advance for your help.
2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2008 Big Horn 5th wheel RV by Heartland model 3670RL. 38' long with 4 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
wpetko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2013, 10:34 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
I stuck some pretty good gauges directly into the transmission port on both my 6.0's and seldom see 160 empty and the highest they have gotten is 180 towing 10,000 lbs.

I thought this was way too low but both trucks read exactly the same.

It'll be interesting to see what is said about the new trucks tranny temps.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (15)
I see 197-205 towing and not towing and oil temp stays about the same. (Edge insight) these trucks have water to fluid coolers instead of air to fluid. Like the old ones.
Old 01-29-2013, 11:24 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
It would depend on where Ford put the temp sending unit.
I doubt it is in the same place as folks have done for the past 20 years, which was to put the unit in the port on the side of the tranny (at least lots did this).
I see 190-195 in my current truck all the time when running empty from 30F up to 100F outside air temps.
Towing my 17k lb 5er, I see 195-210 from 40F to 120F outside air temps.

Hot to me would be 240F and above.
Not sure how/if you can pull up EGT temps on the stock screen. There are like 5 EGT sensors throughout the exhaust.

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-29-2013, 11:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

I monitor egt #1 & 2 ,to see regen temps.
to get true EGTs like before you avve to add a sensor pre turbo ( there is not one stock)
Old 01-30-2013, 11:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

I'm pretty sure there is no way to see EGTS with the stock display, You will need to add some sort of Monitor or gauge. Most of us have added the Edge CTS which will display any of the 4 pyros that are stock in exhaust system. As mention, They are all 3 foot or more downstream from the engine. So there is no Pre-Turbo sensor on the stock truck. Since Ford changed this engine to a center exhaust. It is difficult to drill and tap and pyro. It's not like adding one to an older engine of drilling and tapping the exhaust manifold. The few folks that have added them seem to be putting them into the EGR Block Off plate when they delete the emission system.

If I remember correctly, the thermostat on the secondary cooling system that cools the tranny is 140F, So I would suspect that you will see tranny temps anywhere from 140 up to the just little over the 200. Even in 100 summer heat and towing 13,000lbs up 8% grades, I never saw the tranny get much over 200.

The Engine oil on the other hand will climb to about 242 on a steep climb with a load.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2013, 07:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

@ PH do you know what the recommended limits are? In my opinion EOT of 242 is shockingly high. If I remember the 6.dooh was at dangerous levels when EOT reached low 230's.

I agree with normal around town are always very standard and remain the same.

Just curious if we have limits if all stock and what happens at those limits?
2012 6.7 DRW Lariat 4x4 crew, tuxedo metallic black with black leather interior. Factory installed gooseneck prep. 8,000 Miles and still satisfied! (Warranty items so far - Rear tailgate emblem, drivers exterior mirror, steering box, front tow hook)
Munfrobie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:30 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
My truck is 100% stock and I tow within all of the ratings of my truck, I see EOT of 248 when it is very hot outside here in Phoenix AZ. It is what it is. I don't get a warning or anything, so I keep on truckin!!!!!! (And passing EVERYONE up those hills.)

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 12:13 PM   #9 (permalink)

Back when these trucks first came out, We had a Ford Engineer come on this or one of the other forums and discuss why the designed the engine the way they did. The question was asked of him if the 242 was a safe temp and the response was that is was fine. The flash point for most CJ-4 oils is 400 or higher

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 06:57 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thanks - Come Spring I will be putting her thru the paces. We have a large grade heading out of Mass into NY on I90W. I think it is 7 miles and at the top it has a sign that states, highest point on Interstate 90 east of Oacoma, South Dakota. This grade cost me Head Gaskets the first year I had my 05 and an EGR cooler last year.

I plan on soaring over it this year
2012 6.7 DRW Lariat 4x4 crew, tuxedo metallic black with black leather interior. Factory installed gooseneck prep. 8,000 Miles and still satisfied! (Warranty items so far - Rear tailgate emblem, drivers exterior mirror, steering box, front tow hook)
Munfrobie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2013, 10:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

100% stock I see temps of 197-202 empty, and 202-212 towing. It is almost always hot where I live.
scjmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-01-2013, 06:54 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munfrobie View Post
Thanks - Come Spring I will be putting her thru the paces. We have a large grade heading out of Mass into NY on I90W. I think it is 7 miles and at the top it has a sign that states, highest point on Interstate 90 east of Oacoma, South Dakota. This grade cost me Head Gaskets the first year I had my 05 and an EGR cooler last year.

I plan on soaring over it this year
i know this run well. i have pulled my trailers over it with my 2006 and the 2012. you will be blown away at how the 6.7L does that pull. there is another member here with a 2011 dually (snowhawk2) that told me that when i first bought my truck, and he was right ! you can just keep accelerating up those grades if you want. the only things holding you back are who's in front of you, staying within the limits of being safe, and if the wind is blowing hard out of the west. with a headwind, i drop to 4th. otherwise, i just wail up it in 5th. i'm pulling a 10.5k 30' TT or 11K equipment hauler.

and if you are interested in knowing what is going on with the truck and temps, i highly recommend putting on an edge insight. i watch all 4 EGT probes, DPF soot %, EOT, ECT and TFT on one screen. that, on top of knowing when the truck is about to most likely start a regen or has actually finished a regen, is great information to know, IMHO.

plus, when towing, you know how long to let the truck idle to cool off the turbo from the EGT 1 reading. i generally let it go down to 350 or so before shutting down. it is the closest post turbo EGT probe to the turbo.

2012 F350 4x4 6.7L KR, SRW, LB, FX4, chrome package, 20's, 3.55 elocker, tuxedo black/adobe

2006 F350 4X4 6.0L Lariat

Last edited by willingtonpaul; 02-01-2013 at 07:02 AM.
willingtonpaul is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cratos View Post
I monitor egt #1 & 2 ,to see regen temps.
to get true EGTs like before you avve to add a sensor pre turbo ( there is not one stock)
I understand that there is no pre-turbe EGT, but I don't even know how to pull up EGT #1 or #2. Can somebody tell me how?
2013 F-350 Lariat 6.7 L PSD Crew Cab Dually, FX4, white platinum metalic tri-coat with black interior, N-Fab step bars, factory spray-in bedliner and 5th wheel hitch, trailer tow package, integrated brake controller, upfitter switches, Sync with My Ford Touch, memory group, remote start, reverse sensing with rear view camera, nav, satillite radio, Weather Tech floor mats, limited slip diff, moon roof, climate controlled seats, engine block heater and tailgate step.

2008 Big Horn 5th wheel RV by Heartland model 3670RL. 38' long with 4 slides & all the goodies.

SOLD: 2005 F-350 Lariat, 6.0 PSD, Torqueshift auto trans, crew cab, SRW, short box, FX4, ESOF, limited slip dif., tow command, upfitter switches, 6 CD changer, Lariat Lux. package, camper package, engine block heater, triple A-pillar gauge set (Autometer) with pyrometer, trans temp & voltmeter, MBRP 4" cat back exhaust w/5" dual wall chrome tip, dark shadow gray/ med. flint interior.
wpetko is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2013, 10:03 AM   #14 (permalink)

I use the edge insight to monitor everything. it plugs intoyou obd2 port
Old 02-02-2013, 12:32 PM   #15 (permalink)

WPETKO, I have noticed the same trans temps not towing on my new F350 and was concerned. I have not towed yet, hope it doesn't get much higher.
Added: Line-X, Isspro EV gauges, Prodigy, C-BETR mirrors, Huskey liners, PIAA-1500 Back-Up, Rancho 5406, RETRAX, Fumoto, XM Radio
Older Truck:
1999 F250 Lariot, SB, 7.3, Linex, Bullet Proof
RootDoc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.