Turbo Flutter? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turbo Flutter?

My truck on occasion make a fluttering sound from the right front of the truck when under load pulling my camper. Will also do it without the trailer but easier to reproduce with the camper attached. Just got back from the dealer and a test drive with the diesel mechanic and after driving about 20 (with camper attached) I finally got it to flutter. Mechanic said it sounds like a Turbo Flutter coming through the air box that was very common on the 6.0L engines but has never heard of it with the 6.7L. Anyway he is calling FORD to see if they had an hits on this. Anyone else experience this????
2011 Jayco Octane T29A Toy Hauler
2004 F250 Lariat CC SRW 6.0L PSD (Traded)
frt2599 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-08-2012, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

By turbo "flutter sound" i would assume that is the turbo dumping extra boost. That is completely normal. And if that is in fact what it is and the tech doesn't know that you need to find a new dealer.
Recon Projection Headlights, AFE Exhaust,
Katzkin Leather, Smittybilt M1 Grill
Bilstein 5160 Shocks, 20" Rigid LED Light,
Firestone Airbags
spedkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 PM   #3 (permalink)

Mine does it too and a friend gave me the TSB to fix the problem. There is a number on it but I don't have it with me at the moment. Basically the tech sets some parameters to '0' and then test drives it. If the parameters change they replace the turbo. Mine goes in this monday to have the TSB performed. The truck never did it until recently. I'm at 16k miles.
Lrn5000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-08-2012, 05:19 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lrn5000 View Post
Mine does it too and a friend gave me the TSB to fix the problem. There is a number on it but I don't have it with me at the moment. Basically the tech sets some parameters to '0' and then test drives it. If the parameters change they replace the turbo. Mine goes in this monday to have the TSB performed. The truck never did it until recently. I'm at 16k miles.
Just got a call from the dealer. Goes in Tuesday for some kind of test and if the test fails, a new turbo. So sounds like the same thing.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:45 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spedkid94 View Post
By turbo "flutter sound" i would assume that is the turbo dumping extra boost. That is completely normal. And if that is in fact what it is and the tech doesn't know that you need to find a new dealer.
The sound its making is in no way normal. The mechanic says it sounds like the exact turbo flutter issue they had with the 6.0L engines. When the dealer callled back yesterday they had a TSB for the issue.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:20 AM   #6 (permalink)

Dealer called last night to inform me they are replacing the turbo. I will post back my results after Thursday when i pick it up.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Dealer called last night to inform me they are replacing the turbo. I will post back my results after Thursday when i pick it up.
Dropped mine off this moring. We will see......

UPDATE - Dealer just called and said I need a new Turbo.... but they are on back order... hummmmm

Last edited by frt2599; 06-12-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #8 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Thank you for keeping us updated, Lrn5000. Have you picked it up yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by frt2599 View Post
...UPDATE - Dealer just called and said I need a new Turbo.... but they are on back order... hummmmm
frt2599,

I have your truckís info from before, so drop me a line via PM with your current mileage and Iíll set up a call from your Regional Customer Service Manager.

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-14-2012, 06:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post

frt2599,

I have your truck’s info from before, so drop me a line via PM with your current mileage and I’ll set up a call from your Regional Customer Service Manager.

Cory
Thanks Cory....

No need to escalate but........ Took the truck in Tuesday when they determined it needed a new turbo but told me they were on backorder. Told me it may be up to a week to get one in so I went and pick up the truck. Dealer called me on Wednesday (next day) and said the Turbo showed up, so took the truck back to be worked on Thursday. Dealer just called and said the mechanic was tied up all day and didn't get to the truck, and he is off Friday. So I'm on my way to pick it up again only to bring it back Monday.... Guess we will try it again Monday.... rrrrrrrrrrrr

Last edited by frt2599; 06-14-2012 at 06:38 PM.
Old 06-15-2012, 07:20 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordCustomerService View Post

frt2599,

I have your truckís info from before, so drop me a line via PM with your current mileage and Iíll set up a call from your Regional Customer Service Manager.

Cory
Picked my truck up from the dealer last night with 100% improvement. This turbo is almost silent so that proves to me there was definately an issue with the other one. I also had mentioned that I was having a delay in shifting from park to reverse or drive and the dealer took care of that as well by finding my transmission fluid level was 3 quarts low. As always a great experience from this dealer!
Old 06-15-2012, 08:54 AM   #11 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Quote:
Thanks Cory....

No need to escalate but...
You got it, frt2599; Iím confident theyíll take care of this for you.

Quote:
Picked my truck up from the dealer last night with 100% improvement. This turbo is almost silent so that proves to me there was definately an issue with the other one. I also had mentioned that I was having a delay in shifting from park to reverse or drive and the dealer took care of that as well by finding my transmission fluid level was 3 quarts low. As always a great experience from this dealer!
Thatís awesome news, Lrn5000; thanks for filling us in!

Cory

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordTrucks @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordTrucks facebook.com/Ford
FordService is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 11:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Please do keep in mind that the very best managed shops don't have control over things that they find when a truck scheduled for a 2 hour job comes in and something serious and unforeseen is discovered and makes that truck use 8 hours of a tech's time. It happens with veterinarians, hospitals, plumbers, and almost every kind of service business where there are unknowns in the task scheduled. If you work a job that doesn't provide you with surprises you are VERY lucky.
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot Sooner 6 horse large dressing/ mid tack.
2003 EB Expedition 149K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 215K (no engine repairs)
2007 BMW 550i 6MT 112K
jimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 04:11 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
Please do keep in mind that the very best managed shops don't have control over things that they find when a truck scheduled for a 2 hour job comes in and something serious and unforeseen is discovered and makes that truck use 8 hours of a tech's time. It happens with veterinarians, hospitals, plumbers, and almost every kind of service business where there are unknowns in the task scheduled. If you work a job that doesn't provide you with surprises you are VERY lucky.
Please also keep in mind that this will be my third trip back to the dealer (forth including the trip to test drive with a mechanic to prove it was fluttering) and it's yet to be worked on. Think if a hospital treated me that way I would be going to a different hospital. And wouldn't be taking my dog back to that veterinarian.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:36 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Dropped mine off this moring. We will see......

UPDATE - Dealer just called and said I need a new Turbo.... but they are on back order... hummmmm
How many miles on your truck when you noticed the problem?

Early 99 XLT F350 4X4 SuperCab Long Bed SRW
Mods: AIS Intake, BTS tranny, DP Tunner, Isspro A Pillar Trans Temp, Boost, Pre Turbo EGT, 19.5" Vision Heavy Hauler Wheels, Dunlop SP461 Tires, GTP38R Turbo, Non EBPV Turbo Pedestal, DI Intercooler, DI Uppies, DI HP Oil Cross-over, DI Regulated Fuel Return, BW Turnover Hitch, Rear Hellwig Stabilizer Bar, Rear Timbren Suspension, Moog Ball Joints, 2009 Al Rear Diff Cover, Banks 4" Monster Exhaust with Power Elbow, Torklift Camper Tie Downs, Tekonsha P3 Brake Controller

bigassredtruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-15-2012, 07:43 PM   #15 (permalink)

what exactly does a "flutter" sound like?

2008 F250 SUPERCAB 4X4 SWB SOLD 10/23/2011

2011 F250 CREWCAB 4X4 6.7/AUTO XLT SOLD 9/2/14

2014 F350 Lariat crewcab 6.7 4x4
dmags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.