Turning with 4 wheel drive engaged - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2013, 07:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Turning with 4 wheel drive engaged

Used my 4x4 today for the first time with the snow that we received. It is normal to have some hop and actually have feedback from the system kind of like you can actually feel the universal joints fighting the turn? I didn't have this feeling as much with my GMC. The truck really felt like it didn't want to turn and the front wanted to slide more than I thought it would. This was at parking lot speeds and turning into my garage.

Thanks,
Jason
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2013, 08:00 PM   #2 (permalink)

Subeditor want to see what it ends up being
Polertyouben is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 08:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

*subscribed
Old 11-25-2013, 08:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
I've never had a 4x4 that didn't crow hop in turns. The tighter the turn, the worse it gets. Absolutely normal.

Your GMC may have had a different system with a differential in the t-case.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 08:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
I've never had a 4x4 that didn't crow hop in turns. The tighter the turn, the worse it gets. Absolutely normal.

Your GMC may have had a different system with a differential in the t-case.
Yea but look wat else he talking about
Old 11-25-2013, 08:28 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
It's normal. With any 4X4 that locks the transfer case in the tires have to slip or scoot to compensate for the difference in wheel speed when turning. How severe it is will vary with different vehicles due to things like, wheel base, vehicle weight and turning radius.
gearhead1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-25-2013, 08:29 PM   #7 (permalink)

Does it have anything to do with snow because I mostly ride mudd
Old 11-25-2013, 08:33 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
What gearhead1011 said.

The traction conditions dictate how bad it will be as well. In slick conditions, it's easier for the tire to slip to eliminate the wind-up in the driveline, so isn't as noticeable.

If the truck has a limited slip rear differential, in slippery conditions, it creates a lot of understeer (not turning where the front wheels point), because both rear wheels are pushing.

Again, it's a normal condition for a 4x4 when locked in. The way to eliminate it is to drop out of 4x4 for slow speed turns.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 08:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks all. Maybe the GM's feel differently because they don't have the solid front axle.
Old 11-26-2013, 09:01 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
GM's are different because they have CV (Constant Velocity) joints as opposed to u-joints. They offer a much smoother transition when steering. And they spin 100% of the time due to lack of locking hubs...trade offs.
2005 F-350 CC, LB, 4x4, Dually, 6.0 Powerstroke, Torqueshift, 4:10 Gears. Gooseneck and rear pull hitches. "Truck Covers USA" roll up aluminum tonneau cover. Putco Boss Running Boards. Aluminum finned diff covers. Bilstein HD shocks. ProComp steering stabilizer. XRF ball joints. NC Hornet CCV mod. RCD egr delete kit. AirDog fuel system. Strictly Diesel's regulated fuel and coolant return lines kits. Amsoil oil bypass (by NUC Motorsports) and homebuilt coolant bypass kits. CFM intake elbow. ARP head studs with factory gaskets and all upgrades. FICM by Ed with Atlas 40 tune, DC Power 185 amp alternator, MBRP 304SS "Cool Dual" exhaust system. SCT Livewire tuner with pyrometer. Autometer 'A' pillar gauges (Boost/Trans temp/Pyrometer/Fuel Pressure). 850 CCA Motorcraft Batteries. Using Rotella T-6 synthetic oil. Upgraded degas tank and cap. Hayes deep aluminum trans pan. GoGo Diesel modified direct clutch solenoid. Retro Solutions HID head and fog lights. High idle mod. Jimmi-Jammers. +More.
fordsforever73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
What gearhead1011 said.

The way to eliminate it is to drop out of 4x4 for slow speed turns.
OR.... Mash the gas pedal and make all four wheels spin & slip. How tight you turn greatly effects this feedback too. The frt wheels are trying to take a much longer path than the rears when turning short but the T-case is locked up solid and forcing both frt & rear tires to spin the same speed. The frt tires are being pushed by the rears, and the rears are probably slipping.

FMC used to put slightly higher gear ratioes in the frt driving axle of 4X4's, like 3.50:1 in frt & 3.55:1 in rear, or 4.09:1 in frt and 4.11:1 in rear to allow the frt axle to "PULL" the rear when driving straight and reduce this pushing/pulling tendency on turns.
Dr.Evil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2013, 04:26 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
OR.... Mash the gas pedal and make all four wheels spin & slip. How tight you turn greatly effects this feedback too. The frt wheels are trying to take a much longer path than the rears when turning short but the T-case is locked up solid and forcing both frt & rear tires to spin the same speed. The frt tires are being pushed by the rears, and the rears are probably slipping.

FMC used to put slightly higher gear ratioes in the frt driving axle of 4X4's, like 3.50:1 in frt & 3.55:1 in rear, or 4.09:1 in frt and 4.11:1 in rear to allow the frt axle to "PULL" the rear when driving straight and reduce this pushing/pulling tendency on turns.
Actually when turning the inboard wheels to the turn will turn slower than the outside tires. The outside tires need to cover more ground faster than the inside of the turn tires do.

I don't believe Ford staggers axle ratios anymore (if they even did).
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013, 06:09 PM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
Actually when turning the inboard wheels to the turn will turn slower than the outside tires. The outside tires need to cover more ground faster than the inside of the turn tires do.

I don't believe Ford staggers axle ratios anymore (if they even did).
The difference in distance traveled from side-to-side is LESS than the difference front-to-back. Just look at the tracks your truck leaves on the ground. Longer the wheel base, the greater the difference. And the diff's in the axles compensate for side-to-side variations anyhow, No diff in the T-case so NO compensation frt to back.

And YES Ford did use different ratios. My '78 F150 had 3.55:1 in the 9-inch & 3.50:1 in the Dana 44 frt. My '87 & '96 PSD have the same thing.
Dr.Evil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2013, 06:20 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Evil View Post
The difference in distance traveled from side-to-side is LESS than the difference front-to-back. Just look at the tracks your truck leaves on the ground. Longer the wheel base, the greater the difference. And the diff's in the axles compensate for side-to-side variations anyhow, No diff in the T-case so NO compensation frt to back.

And YES Ford did use different ratios. My '78 F150 had 3.55:1 in the 9-inch & 3.50:1 in the Dana 44 frt. My '87 & '96 PSD have the same thing.

Actually I just measure exact wheel speed. This is a basic check when it comes to AWD issues. 4x4 systems are the same.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #15 (permalink)

That feedback is a sign that the road surface is not slippery enough to use 4WD, so just put it back in 2WD.

Brian
MC5C is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.