Waiting for new PCM after flash... - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Waiting for new PCM after flash...

I'm waiting for a new computer module, It got screwed up during the "flash". I don't know if the tech did something wrong, but it won't take the new software.

It's been in the shop for a week, and the part is on emergency order.

Anybody else have to wait very long when this happened to them...??

Thanks,
Gordon
2008 Ford F450 6.4 55k Kms Dynamic Wrecker
2011 Ford SuperDuty 6.7 101,000kms
2010 Ford Edge 70,000kms
2006 Ford F650 Rollback 500,000kms (with a 5.9 Cummins that has not seen the inside of a garage)
fixdent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-14-2010, 08:42 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well the computer module is in today.

I have to take my second key with me tomorrow, to have it programmed as well....I sure hope this works.

They wanted me to have it shipped to them, but I told them I would drive right in, in the morning. It's a 2 1/2 hour drive to the dealer.

I'm not sure this new flash was worth the hassle.
2010 Ford Edge 70,000kms
2006 Ford F650 Rollback 500,000kms (with a 5.9 Cummins that has not seen the inside of a garage)
Old 10-16-2010, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)

I got the truck back. Everything seems as it should. Lots of power (although it had plenty already). Transmission gear indicator stays lit now. Mileage is a good as before, possibly a bit better.

On the 150 mile trip to the dealer, before the flash...I got 18.6 on the Lie-0-meter, and on the trip back I got 19.2

Shifting seems better, not so jerky at low speeds, but time will tell.

--
Gordon
2010 Ford Edge 70,000kms
Old 10-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixdent View Post
I'm waiting for a new computer module, It got screwed up during the "flash". I don't know if the tech did something wrong, but it won't take the new software.

It's been in the shop for a week, and the part is on emergency order.

Anybody else have to wait very long when this happened to them...??

Thanks,
Gordon
Just to ease your mind...

There have been several reports from all over north America about PCMs dying during the reflash process, Back in the early 6.4 days, we had a rash of TCM failures during reflash.

The tech "doing something wrong"? He follows a series of on screen prompts. Nothing more - nothing less. Why is the tech always a suspect?

Early in the production phase, all of the new parts are directed to the assmbly line. This causes an unfortunate wait for repair customers. As techs, service advisers and parts people, we don't like the situation it puts us in... but WE HAVE NO CONTROL over it. When you approach the counter at the dealership, remember that these people are nothing more than messengers... shooting them gains nothing.
hiram walker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 09:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Maybe it was the same tech that put 15 qts of oil in a 13 qt engine as in a previous post on here
outlawinil is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 10:02 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlawinil View Post
Maybe it was the same tech that put 15 qts of oil in a 13 qt engine as in a previous post on here
Maybe... maybe not. Guilty until proven innocent? Who's to say it was a "tech" that performed the oil change (it takes a bit more than a pair of coveralls with a name over one pocket to be a tech).

In another post in another thread in another forum I said "always trust your dipstick". Another poster said "never trust your dipstick".

My point.... after an oil change is performed... the oil level should be checked BEFORE starting the motor. This way, we know that we didn't forget the drain plug. This way we know that we didn't lose count on putting oil in (if you use liters or quarts, I will admit that this should be a no brainer - we use drums and jugs - you can lose count).

When you start the engine... watch for the oil pressure to come up. Walk back to the front of the truck and check your ATF level. Look for engine oil leaks. Shut the motor off and allow a few minutes for oil to drain back to the sump. Recheck oil level. ALWAYS TRUST YOUR DIPSTICK - it is the only indicator you have.

Mistakes are always there to be made... catching them and fixing them before they become a problem are the sign of good technique.

Last edited by hiram walker; 10-17-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

Saying it was the techs fault was not my intention...

I live in a small area, and they probably have only done 6 or so software upgrades.

I know they were doing an oil change at the same time. So maybe mistakenly attempted to start the vehicle at the time the download was taking place. Only a simple misthought, but also a learning experience.

The dealership was very apologetic and thanked my for my patience...(while they gave me another truck to drive)

I've been in the autobody trade for 37 years, and know "****" happens. I also worked at this same dealership for 8 years....30 years ago. Very nice people.

also
Quote:
watch for the oil pressure to come up.
My truck does not have an oil pressure guage

--
Gordon
2010 Ford Edge 70,000kms
Old 10-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixdent View Post
Saying it was the techs fault was not my intention...

I live in a small area, and they probably have only done 6 or so software upgrades.

I know they were doing an oil change at the same time. So maybe mistakenly attempted to start the vehicle at the time the download was taking place. Only a simple misthought, but also a learning experience.

The dealership was very apologetic and thanked my for my patience...(while they gave me another truck to drive)

I've been in the autobody trade for 37 years, and know "****" happens. I also worked at this same dealership for 8 years....30 years ago. Very nice people.

also

My truck does not have an oil pressure guage

--
Gordon
I live in a small area... <GOSH>. This small area is in Canada... in the oil patch... We haven't done many of these reflashes because the vehicle population is what it is. All the same... you connect the tool and follow the screen prompts... Now.. I'm fairly sure one of the early things you said was "I don't know if the tech did something wrong...".

I don't recall saying anything about an oil pressure gauge. Your truck will have a low oil pressure warning... be sure it isn't "warning".

Auto body tech? Ohhhh, do I have some stories to tell - Why do you guys always use scotch-lox and those cheezy cheap butt connectors?
Old 10-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Dak

My Photos: (1)
Thank you both for insights...

Glad you areback up and running. Sounds like the flash delivered as promised. Better MPG and power.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.