Warm up time? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain Discussion of the 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine and drivetrain in the 2011-Up Super Duty trucks. No gas engine discussion allowed except on transmissions and drivetrain that pertain to all models. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 03:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Warm up time?

I'm new to Diesel motors, this being my first. I've owned plenty of turbo gas motors and have always religiously let them warm up and cool down. I've noticed that this 6.7L motor is VERY slow to warm up. For a test, I remote started the vehicle and waited 10 minutes (time out of remote start, as currently set) and the temperature of the oil and coolant has barely risen at all. This was a 40 degree morning. Now I'm not going to warm up my truck that long, just silly. So what is an acceptable length to warm up the truck for? I understand dont drive aggressively until it is up to temp but how long should I let it warm up before going into drive?

I also wonder how long it takes the oil to completely circulate too, in order to ensure everything is getting adequate lubrication? I had a motorcycle once that took over 45 seconds before the cams had a descent lube supply going to them......

Thanks!
Keith
kereams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2011, 04:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

I had the same thoughts as you, this being my first diesel also. I found that within 5 minutes, I can usually get the truck to the temp I have decided it's ok to drive at... 20 deg C. Some may disagree but I think it's a good happy medium between extended idle time and good oil temp/circulation. In winter though i am not cpnvinced that my block heater will be enough to allow me to hit 20C in less than 5 mins so I may go to something more extreme like a diesel preheater.
thejean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
@keith - My first diesel also. I usually try and give it one or two minutes before I start driving when it's above freezing. In the winter I'll go 10 to 15 minutes but that's for my comfort, not the engine

Did you happen to get the rapid-heat supplemental heater option? Really helps to warm up the cab.

@thejean - the block heater upped my oil temp by about 30 degrees F after one minute of idling. I hit 26 degrees C after two minutes of idling with the block heater and -11 degree C ambient temperature. Data from my link below.

2011 F350 Lariat, SC, SWB, 6.7L, 4x4, 3.55ELD, FX4, Lariat Int Pkg, 20's

SOLD 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra, black convertible. - 6/2007 - 9/2013

SOLD: 2002 F250 Lariat, V10, 4x4, auto, 3.73LS, SC/SB, camper & off-road pkg. 12/2001 - 12/2010

Link: Fuel Mileage Spreadsheet With spreadsheet open click File then Download if you would like a copy of the spreadsheet.

Link: Rapid-Heat Sup Cab Heater Test Data and Graphs

Last edited by doczenith1; 04-21-2011 at 05:01 PM.
doczenith1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 04:57 PM   #4 (permalink)

I'm not too worried about the cab, it does not get cold enough where I live. I'm more concerned about proper mechanical consideration.
kereams is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 05:09 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
In honor to my friends to the north I have just added a tab with Celsius temperatures to my Rapid-Heat spreadsheet.

2011 F350 Lariat, SC, SWB, 6.7L, 4x4, 3.55ELD, FX4, Lariat Int Pkg, 20's

SOLD 2003 Mustang SVT Cobra, black convertible. - 6/2007 - 9/2013

SOLD: 2002 F250 Lariat, V10, 4x4, auto, 3.73LS, SC/SB, camper & off-road pkg. 12/2001 - 12/2010

Link: Fuel Mileage Spreadsheet With spreadsheet open click File then Download if you would like a copy of the spreadsheet.

Link: Rapid-Heat Sup Cab Heater Test Data and Graphs

Last edited by doczenith1; 04-21-2011 at 05:18 PM.
doczenith1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

30-60 seconds, sometimes none. Just turn the key and take off. I don't romp on it until it is warmed up, but I really don't think you need to let it sit there for any large amount of time.

2001 F-250 CC Lariat, LB, 4x4. 205K and Traded in

1996 F-250 XLT Regular Cab, 4x4, 187K. Bartered for construction work.

2010 Cougar 32RLB 5th Wheel - Traded in 1/22/11

2011 Road Warrior 30C Titanium Edition (SOLD)
dsroka80504 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 06:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

This is my 4th Powerstroke and I have well over 300,000 miles between them. I start it, get my seat belt on, look for any traffic and back out and go.

I have to weave thru a subdivision at 25mph and a connecting street at 30 mph for several miles before I get to the freeway. I always figured the engine was pumping enough oil to go ahead and accelerate up to freeway speed by time I got to the on ramp.

With the remote start, I now hit the button as I go out the door and let it idle while I feed the horses, It is set at the 5 minute idle and rarely ever times out before I get to the truck.

If you ever get a Pyro in your truck,. You will notice that the EGT's at idle are 350*-400*. But as soon as you do any driving, The EGT jump to 700-800 really quick. I've pretty much decided that it takes something more than idle to actually warm everything up.

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 07:47 PM   #8 (permalink)

Turn the key and drive? Would you get out of bed in winter & start running real hard?
Tobin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doczenith1 View Post
In honor to my friends to the north I have just added a tab with Celsius temperatures to my Rapid-Heat spreadsheet.

Haha, I could have saved you the trouble because I had converted your data as soon as I got my hands on it. Good work though.

As for the blockheater not doing it's job, what is mean is that when it's -40C here in Calgary, the blockheater won't allow me to get to +20C oil temp in 5 mins of idle, which is what I like to hit before I drive. That's why I am thinking of a pre-heater system to at least get the truck to freezing (0C or 32F) before even starting the truck when it's -40C out (not too often but does happen but we do get -30C regularly).

And I do have to worry about the cab temp as I take my daughter to daycare in this thing. Would have purchased the rapid heater system had I known about it but I bought my truck off the lot and didn't even know it was an option if you ordered your truck.

So, I think my only option is a pre-heater. I may try the block heater with a plug-in in-cabin heater and a temperature activated timer system. I can get all that for about $100, compared to $1300 (uninstalled) for a true pre-heater. I MAY try that next winter first but I really don't think it's going to be enough.

But to the OP's original question, I think if you can get to room temp before driving on dyno oil, that is good. Reduce that significantly for a lighter weight syn oil. However, I also like the metal parts to have a bit of heat in them to make sure they are not flopping around unnecessarily.

Last edited by thejean; 04-21-2011 at 09:19 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:39 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tobin View Post
Turn the key and drive? Would you get out of bed in winter & start running real hard?

trucks are not people. Diesels do not create much heat at idle. They will do fine driving soon after starting. Soon is up to you. Engines wear faster when the coolant temp is below 180 deg. Driving a diesel is the only way to get it there. Just don't romp on it too soon that is all.
Old 04-22-2011, 08:23 AM   #11 (permalink)

I was in a hurry one cold -35f morning. I jumped into my unplugged truck, started it up, and put it into drive to take off. No response on the throttle. I looked down at the dash, and it said " wait 15 seconds to warm up"...and counted down to 0. Then said "Ok to drive"....

I kinda chuckled to myself, wondering how much that oil had warmed up in 15 seconds at -35f, but Ford must think it's OK.

I usually let my engine warm up for 20 - 25 minutes when it is more than -20....I hate cold vehicles.

This is my 3rd diesel....had a 7.3 with 300k on it. a 6.0 with 125k on it (got rid of that truck when the warranty ran out)...and now a 6.7, which is the best truck of them all.

--
Gordon
2008 Ford F450 6.4 55k Kms Dynamic Wrecker
2011 Ford SuperDuty 6.7 101,000kms
2010 Ford Edge 70,000kms
2006 Ford F650 Rollback 500,000kms (with a 5.9 Cummins that has not seen the inside of a garage)
fixdent is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-22-2011, 10:04 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixdent View Post
I was in a hurry one cold -35f morning. I jumped into my unplugged truck, started it up, and put it into drive to take off. No response on the throttle. I looked down at the dash, and it said " wait 15 seconds to warm up"...and counted down to 0. Then said "Ok to drive"....

I kinda chuckled to myself, wondering how much that oil had warmed up in 15 seconds at -35f, but Ford must think it's OK.
I'm guess that was more to make sure oil had reached all parts of the engine rather than doing any actual warming up of the engine.
Old 04-22-2011, 04:07 PM   #13 (permalink)

I let my truck idle. 5-10mins during the cooler months. I'll flip the high idle switch to speed up warm up, but for the most part I never Crank & Drive. I let my cars warm up for a few mins before driving.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Power Stroke Engine and Drivetrain

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.