F-450 Super Single? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Ordering Information

1999-2007 Ordering Information Discussion of ordering and status of an order of a Super Duty truck. All engine types allowed.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2006, 03:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
F-450 Super Single?

Think you will be able to order a f-450 super single.... single tire rear end, regular bed?
2008, F-250, FX4, Crew Cab, Short Bed, Oxford White w/ Black Interior, Dual Alternators, Sat. Navigation & Radio, Overhead DVD System, ESOF, Solid Rear Window, 3.73 Limited Slip, Upfitter Switches, Tow Command System w/ Power Scope Mirrors, Power Seats, and the Reverse Aid Sensor - Edge Insight Monitor, 2.5" Icon Lift Kit, Icon 2.5" Piggy-Back Shocks, KMC Beadlocks w/ 33" Toyo M/T's, MBRP DPF back exhaust, Recon mirror lights, Fitch Fuel Catalyst, Line-X, MotoBar, Gentex Temp/Direction Mirror, Baja Designs 22" Onx Pro Light Bar
RRose is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2006, 04:11 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Send a message via ICQ to Big K
Re: F-450 Super Single?

Nope, All F-450 are DRW.

97 F250 "Sherman Tank"
Big K is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 04:12 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you want it bad enough, there is always the aftermarket.
2007 Apex9.5 truck camper
1973 Bronco (stock), wife's
1973 Bronco (HEAVILY modified), mine
2006 Mustang V6, Screaming Yellow, wife's
2006 F350, Amarillo, SRW, CC, 4x4, SB, 6.0/auto (traded)
2004 F350, SRW, CC, SB, Sport, 4x4, 6.0/auto (bought back by Ford)
SteveIn29 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2006, 11:25 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have previously posted this under Towing and Hauling---Removing inner wheels/tires on dually

I have an F550 that I want to seasonaly run single wheels on the rear for better, traction as well as off road use. Have an 2005 F550 4x4, 19,000 GVWR, Automatic, 4.88 ltd. slip rear, 225/70R19.5 wheels, with a 11.5' Triple-C HydraBed bale handling flatbed. Use it for heavy hauling and trailering in my seed business Spring, Summer and Fall. But come late fall I swap the highway tires out for Goodyear G124(?) tires, the most agressive available in 19.5". The bed is fairly heavy, 2400#, so it gets around better than expected off road, even unloaded, in our fields and pastures under mud and deep snow conditions while feeding cattle.
The last few days I have been researching my options.

1) cut the center out of a wheel and use it as a spacer to mount a single rear outside wheel. I didn't like the idea of running a tireless wheel on the inside for off road use, would be OK for road use. The disadvantage is that the single rear wheel will track abot 4.5-5" wider than the front on each side. This is the option I am going to start with as I have located a free set of damaged wheels with good centers.

2)Custom built single rear wheels. I checked with Stockton Wheel Service, 800-395-9433, ask for Bobby, or http://www.stocktonwheel.com.
Cost quoted was $255.00/wheel plus freight. Still may need a spacer?

3) Ran across a fire truck manufacturing company, http://www.firematic.com/index2.htm, that builds off road fire fighting rigs on F550 4x4's. They have a custom "Super Single" wheel set up. They manufacture wheels for the front that are set about 2" wider than factory wheels, and rear wheels with the proper offset to track in line with the front wheels. Contacted them by phone and got a luke warm, at best, response to purchasing a set of wheels. Fire equipment companies are a close knit and exclusive type operation. Your best bet may be to try and purchase a set of these wheels through your local fire department or fire equipment/supply company. It sure would help to know somone inside that circle. Price? Probably at least double what you would expect outisde the fire equipment world?

Prairie
NE Nebraska
prairie is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 02:43 PM   #5 (permalink)

From what I have been able to learn- the 450 is itself heavier than the 350, and therefor the diff in payload and towing is negligible. Also, it looks as if the 450 is only available in the double cab configuration, which sucks, because I have a friend who wants one but is only interested in a reg cab truck. If I order one, it will be just like the trucks in my sig. No need for the extra gvw of a dually, and I don't like the extra wheel base from 1-1/2 or double cabs.
Traded at 45K for: Red 2011 F-350 XLT SRW 4x4 6.7L reg cab BFG 12.5x35 mud terrains, no lift. "optioned" out of- stick shift, rubber floors, audiophile stereo, fog lights, chrome step bars GRRRRR!
torino73 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006, 01:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

The F450 would also be my first choice if I could get it in the "Super-Cab" configuration. Want the extra towing capacity, but don't have use for the full back seat option. Ford are you listening please, some of us don't have kids, dogs, haul extra large people around and just want the super cab for storing some extra stuff we haul around inside. I will say again, Ford are you listening?????

And because it is not offered, or not listed as offered, I have to compromise, and step back to the F350 dully, which means I have not got the towing capacity I want. Seems to me, since I am spending the money, I should be able to get it "MY WAY"!

Ford Motor Company, next time heck this time, send a survey to all the currently registered owners, asking them what they want in your next truck redesign. Then build what we want, not what some of your engineers come up with, hmmmmmmm, novel conscept listing to the consumer instead of the marketing guys. I won't see it in my lifetime, and I have lots of good years left.

MB
Old 10-14-2006, 10:16 AM   #7 (permalink)

Looks like they did. I rarely see a super cab on the road. Either regular cab, or crew. Most are crew cabs though.

89 F350 CC 4x4 Longbed Lariat. 7.3 with ATS Turbo and K&N. --SOLD--

More mods as the money allows.
MonkeyBoy is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006, 01:03 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]
Ford Motor Company, next time heck this time, send a survey to all the currently registered owners, asking them what they want in your next truck redesign.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nonsense. Not needed, and way too costly to ask all owners. Instead they ask a statistically-valid random sample of potential customers, and then check that against a common sense scale. And they found out that about the mix of the current F-350 DRW sales would also apply to the F-450 pickup, except in much-smaller volume. When you pare the volume down to the projected production, it's not cost effective to offer a SuperCab body style. So they don't. They won't even offer the regular cab body style yet, but that may change early in the F-450 pickup run if enough fleet customers ask for the F-450 regular-cab pickup.

Right now, F-350 DRW CrewCabs with Lariat trim are 91 percent of total F-350 DRW Lariat sales. The best number the SuperCab makes is 27 percent of XLT sales and only 9 percent of Lariat sales and 19 percent of XL sales. Conclusion? Build the CrewCab because those that want a fancier trim level love it. The market for the SuperCab is simply too small to justify the expense of building one.

Initially, the F-450 pickup will be a test. CrewCab longbed only, in 4 trim levels. If they sell like hotcakes, then maybe it will be worth the cost to develop shorter wheelbase frames for regular cabs, and maybe even SuperCabs. But not at first.

If you want an F-450 pickup with a SuperCab body, it's available today. Order the F-450 chassis cab truck and drop-ship it to Manning for adding the aftermarket pickup bed. But that's not a very popular option. Almost all the beds Manning adds to F-450s have been on CrewCab trucks.

SmokeyWren is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-14-2006, 04:44 PM   #9 (permalink)

I too will miss not having the supercab. The crewcab will miss going in my garage by about 4 inches.

One statistic I have not been able to find is the tailgate height. Looking at some pics the 450 may be lower to the ground than the chassis cab. This is a big deal of course for us 5 wheelers since we need enough clearance to keep the trailer from banging on the rails. Even the 350 with 4X4 was marginal. When you raise it up the fiver is not longer level, taking weight off the hitch and putting it on the real axle of the trailer. Trailers are getting heavier all the time. Mine weighs 18500. even with H load tires and 8 thousand pound axles, shifting that weight is not a good idea. So, has anyone seen what the tailgate height is?
7.3 99.5 550 Lariat Fontaine conversion, auto leveling airbags, auxillary transferflow midship tank, fiberglass bed,liner, 25K pullrite hitch, Diesel Innovations six way chip,pillar gauges, 4 inch exhaust. SOLD

08 f-450 4X4 LARIAT 4.88 Dark Shadow Gray to match my Mobile Suites fiver. Line-x, 0503 Pullrite 25.5k superfifth hitch, Retrax rollcover, 50 gal transferflow under cover aux tank, aftermarket pioneer avicz2 nav to come, SOLD

2013 F350 Lariat, camper package, Sterling Gray, firestone air bags, Bigfoot slide in camper, 5th wheel parked for awhile
larryhutto is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
. If I order one, it will be just like the trucks in my sig. No need for the extra gvw of a dually, and I don't like the extra wheel base from 1-1/2 or double cabs.

[/ QUOTE ]
then you dont need a f450, a f350 will be fine..............
Pics
BurnedBronco is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 04:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to RVrs R US

[ QUOTE ]
So, has anyone seen what the tailgate height is?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here are the 2008 specs from Ford Media. This says the inside box height is 20.1".

We are trading in our 99.5 F-450 with Fontaine bed which has low side rails that enabled me to install a low profile Pull Rite Hitch, give me 6 inches of clearance between the fiver overhang and the Fontaine side rails, hide the hitch under a tunneau cover when using the truck as a local driver and keep the fiver level when hooked up.

I'm thinkin' I'll have to go to a regular height pullrite hitch with the 2008 F-450 to get the side rail clearance but haven't determined yet if I will be able to hide it under a tunneau cover or if it will be hooked up level.

Dave
2008 F-450 6.4L LARIAT 4X2 DRW CREWCAB, JOB 2 BUILD (10/22/07), X-Plan, White/Silver w/Chrome Package, Gray Leather Interior, Torqshift Tranny, 4.88, 33K Tow Package, Sirius Sat Radio w/Audiophile, Supp. Htr, Rear Video Camera, Traction Control - DEALER INSTALLED OPTIONS Line-X Bedliner, Advance Folding Tonneau Cover, Chrome Bugshield, Dually Splash Guards, Remote Start.

2003 40' TRAVEL SUPREME Triple Slide Fifth Wheel - (OUR COW - Condo On Wheels)

Retired Fulltime RVers "Goin' Places, Makin' Friends, Havin' Fun!"

Our Pictures * Great RV Site * Our Website
RVrs R US is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 07:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

The F-450 I saw at the Expo was a regular cab dump bed.
http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l2...E/P1011039.jpg
corylee is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 08:42 AM   #13 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

[ QUOTE ]

Here are the 2008 specs from Ford Media. This says the inside box height is 20.1".

[/ QUOTE ]

No mention of the height of the rig.

Based on the Manning conversion of an F-450 chassis cab to a pickup, the height at the tailgate probably means that you can't haul most 5ers without lifting the 5er. A 5er must be level with the world when wet and loaded and hooked up ready to go, so you can't simply adjust the hitch. And you cannot lower the hitch if that means less than about 6" clearance between the top of the bed and the bottom of the trailer overhang. You have to literally raise the trailer until it's level front to rear. So in a lot of cases a tow body or a Fontaine pickup bed will still be necessary for a lot of 5ers. Don't order the F-450 pickup until after you have had a good session with a tape measure. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]

One of my concerns was that Ford wouldn't offer the same GCWR on the F-450 pickup as they did with the chassis cabs. But those specs show the even better GCWR with the high-capacity towing pkg. 26,000 pounds without the high-capacity towing pkg, and 33,000 pounds with the high capacity towing pkg. For 2006, the F-450 with the high-capacity towing pkg had 30,000 GCWR, so the 2008 pickup has even more. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

That means that for towing heavy 5ers, the F-350 DRW with the TowBoss pkg has the same GCWR as the F-450 pickup without the high-capacity towing pkg. So there's no reason to buy the F-450 instead of the F-350 TowBoss for towing unless you order the high-capacity towing pkg on the F-450.

[ QUOTE ]

Maximum GCWR
6.4L diesel, 3.73:1 axle = 23,500 = F-350 DRW
6.4L diesel, 4.10:1 axle = 23,500 = F-350 DRW
6.4L diesel, 4.30:1 axle = 26,000 = F-350 TowBoss & F-450
6.4L diesel, 4.88:1 axle = 33000 = F-450 w/high-capacity towing pkg

[/ QUOTE ]

The F-450 has a lot more GVWR than the F-350 DRW, so if you haul a slide-in camper, then Ford will build you a good camper hauler pickup. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Another interesting spec is that the F-450 pickup can tow a tag trailer with a max gross weight of 16,000 pounds with a weight-distributing hitch. That means that Ford must offer one heck of a strong Class V receiver on the F-450 pickup. Stronger than a Reese TowBeast receiver which has a max capacity of 14,500 pounds. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img]

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 04:30 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thanks,

Most 5er's are close to the same height. In anticipation of even the 350 with 4X4 I had the 5er placed as high on the axles as possible. The other choice will be to actually turn the axle wheel assembly over as I have had others explain to get the necessary height. I now have a 550 fontaine with plenty of room but would love the new 450 with a regular bed.

It seems to me that the new 450 is not the same as the chasis version... and it seems to me Ford knows folks want to haul 5ers with it, so I was hoping they might have designed the truck more like a 350 pickup and put it lower to the ground to start with so we could use it without huge modifications to our trailers.

The pickup truck is sig different than the chassis version right? Seems even the brakes are a different size than the chassis model.
7.3 99.5 550 Lariat Fontaine conversion, auto leveling airbags, auxillary transferflow midship tank, fiberglass bed,liner, 25K pullrite hitch, Diesel Innovations six way chip,pillar gauges, 4 inch exhaust. SOLD

08 f-450 4X4 LARIAT 4.88 Dark Shadow Gray to match my Mobile Suites fiver. Line-x, 0503 Pullrite 25.5k superfifth hitch, Retrax rollcover, 50 gal transferflow under cover aux tank, aftermarket pioneer avicz2 nav to come, SOLD

2013 F350 Lariat, camper package, Sterling Gray, firestone air bags, Bigfoot slide in camper, 5th wheel parked for awhile
larryhutto is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 10-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #15 (permalink)
LRH

The Ford Media specs state a 20" rim/tire as maximum, prob a optional nice looking alloy, but am I correct to assume that 19.5's are standard in steel and an optional (or included with certain trim pkg's) alloy will be available. 225/70-19.5 of 245/70-19.5 load range F or G ? Are all the F-450 with factory bed going to be high trim lines or mostly match the cab & chassis. One more quick question that may be printed somewhere but i have not seen it is: did Ford make outriggers to make a regular bed fit a straight rail frame or use the non flat/wider frame like a regular pickup or a bed delete model?
LRH is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Ordering Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.