FX4 vs. 4X4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Ordering Information

1999-2007 Ordering Information Discussion of ordering and status of an order of a Super Duty truck. All engine types allowed.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2002, 06:49 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
FX4 vs. 4X4

I drove a F350 CC DRW LB Diesel with the FX4 package and it road very nice. I then drove a slightly used F350 SC DRW LB Diesel 4X4 and it "seemed" to not be quite as "smooth" as the CC. The test drive was on the same highway but different city streets. Do you guys think it was because of the FX4 package or because the CC is heavier than the SC and therefore road alittle better. Both trucks of course were empty. I will not be off roading. Just city and highway and towing about 10500-11000 fifth wheel. Do you think those rancho shocks gave me the better ride. The Xplan price for the FX4 package is around 185-200. So it isnt very much and are the shocks worth it? Or can I get something better for the same price aftermarket.
Mike
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2002, 08:04 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Re: FX4 vs. 4X4

The difference in ride is the longer wheelbase of the CrewCab - simple as that. If you could find two identically-equipped pickups except one is a SuperCab and one is a CrewCab, then the CrewCab will invariably ride better than the pickup with the shorter wheelbase.

As to the FX4 pkg, it includes the skid plates, a steering damper, and the "upgraded" shocks. You need the skid plates anyway, and they cost $85 without the FX4 pkg. The FX4 pkg adds an additonal $107 cost for the steering damper and the shocks and the "look at me!" sticker on the bed. So that's not much. An installed steering damper would probably cost you almost that much, so the shocks are close to free.

The least-expensive aftermarket decent shocks - such as the Monroe Gas Magnums - will probably cost you well over $200 installed, and a lot more for the high-dollar Rancho 9000 or Bilsteins or Edlebrocks or equivalent shocks.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2002, 08:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick reply. I thought maybe it made sense but thought I would check first. I'll call the dealer and have it added.
I'll post later with the new units details.
Mike
Old 09-26-2002, 11:55 AM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Smokey,
You forgot that the Limited slip rear end is required when ordering the FX4.
Another "hidden" $300.00 or so to the cost.
George C is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2002, 01:37 PM   #5 (permalink)

....and all-terrain tires are also required.
Stan Wright is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2002, 02:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Who would want an off-road 4x4 without limited slip and AT tires?

Those would be considered part of the cost of the FX4 pkg only for someone who wasn't going to order them anyway.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
Old 09-26-2002, 02:45 PM   #7 (permalink)

Wait a minute then. I ordered OWL All Season not All Terrain. I figured those ride better on the highway. I dont do off roading. So if you gotta get the All Terrain, then maybe I shouldnt get the FX4?
I didnt see where that was a requirement
Mike
Old 09-26-2002, 04:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

If you don't plan to take your $40,000 truck through the pricker bushes (like most of us who are sane) then what do you need the FX4 for?
If you like the decal, just buy that for a ten dollar bill and apply it after you take delivery.
Who will know?

So the FX4 package, disguised as a $107.00 option actually costs upwards of $500.00 if you want it..

Ford likes to stick you with these little surprises if you want an option package.
Always some strings attached..
For instance on my truck, the 4:10 ls is required to order the LE package.
Why?
I like the 4:10's, but I have no use for a LS rear end in my world. I don't like the chatter.
Another $300 for Ford..
Old 09-26-2002, 04:24 PM   #9 (permalink)
Banned

"Who would want an off-road 4x4 without limited slip and AT tires?"

I agree Smokey, but it wasn't a requiriment with the old "off road" package.

Old 09-26-2002, 06:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

I just got my 2003 F250 lariat CC SWB with the FX4 package. I can not compare it to just a 4X4 package, never driven one. I will say that the ride is great. It is a lot smoother than I would have expected.
Old 09-26-2002, 08:24 PM   #11 (permalink)

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I didnt see where that was a requirement

[/ QUOTE ] It's a requirement. Shows on both the option list and with the expanded pkg contents. The pkg contents includes:
NOTE: 4x4 only. Requires A/T Tires. Requires Limited Slip. Not available with 17S Lariat LE Package.

But the price of the BSW AT tires is the same as the price of the OWL AS tires you ordered. So you can change the order to the required tires at no change in invoice price.

Of course, if you want the OWL AT tires there's two problems - one: they are delayed until January production, and two: they will cost you another $106 more than the tires you ordered.

Old 09-26-2002, 08:45 PM   #12 (permalink)
Banned

OK Smokey,
What's this about a delay in OWL A/T tires?????????? [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/blush.gif[/img]
I just saw a set on an 03" dualie.
They were tagged General Ameritrac TR.
Please explain..
Thanks..
Old 09-26-2002, 08:47 PM   #13 (permalink)

So far the only people I've seen complain about the delay in those tires are the ones ordering Excursions. It sounds like they're taking their dwindling supply of old tires...or maybe they're slowly-ramping-up supply of new tires... and allocating them to the trucks first. (It has to do with phasing out Firestone as the supplier, I think.)

Duncan
The 6.0L Bible: Web page
The 6.4L Bible: Web page
frobozz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-26-2002, 10:03 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

Smokey - My current DORA shows No delay in the tires. Just the 11/4 hold on the king ranch, 6.0, and 5 speed auto.

Do you know something we dont?

Now as far as the option I got it for the shock upgrade and the front dampner. I wanted the skid plates anyway

Do I plan to take my King off road - probably not, but all the junk you find flying around on the road is enough to get the plates. A chunck of tire rubber can do a lot of damage at 75 MPH
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] 2004 / 04 F350 CC PSD 4x4 Chestnut Brown King Ranch, Quad Captains, DUALLY [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], long bed, auto, 4:10LS
Goodies added.
Retrax bed cover [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Bed Rug bed liner
KC backup lights
C-Better mirrors
Prodigy Controller
Reese bed rails, bolt on frame install kit
Viair 550C air compressor and 2.5 gal tank
Grover 34 and 36 inch air horns
Pro Flap mud flaps
Autometer cobalt gauges with under cubby pod
Galaxy 95T CB, Wilson 5000 roof mount antenna
DPPI Cat Back Dual Exhaust [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
YODA is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2002, 12:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Banned

Yoda,
You better lower Smokeys rating down to 99.9999999999998% [img]/ubbthreads/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Ordering Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.