Reverse Sensing System - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Ordering Information

1999-2007 Ordering Information Discussion of ordering and status of an order of a Super Duty truck. All engine types allowed.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2003, 02:27 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Reverse Sensing System

Can the reverse sensing system be turned off? Does it alarm when you are backing up with a load in tow?
2004 F350 4X4 CC LE two tone, rear bench, 4.10LS, Rev Sensors, Adj Pedals, Pwr Rear Slider, 6 disk CD, ESOF, Line-X liner, BrakeSmart, Pullrite 15.5 with Super rails, DPPI T304 cat back, C-Beter 8,160#, Isspro Gauges on A-piller Born 11/03/2003 Adopted 11/19/03

SOLD:1997 white F350 4x4 CC SRW LB 7.3L auto 4.10 tlock ,ATS Intercooler,K&N air filter, US Gear down pipe, gauges and chip, Westin step bars, Lund visor, PullRite 25k Super5 hitch Warn Hubs

2000 Lincoln LS V8
1995 SHO
1998 Jayco 3230 Designer 5th Whl 11,500#
19,600#, Truck & Trailer on scale
epkillen is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2003, 03:12 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Reverse Sensing System

[ QUOTE ]
Can the reverse sensing system be turned off? Does it alarm when you are backing up with a load in tow?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well......

Every time you put it in reverse, it activates by default. There is a button to turn it off, but when you put it in drive and then put it in reverse again, it is back on again.

So I normally tell people it's the greatest option in the world, and you won't know how you ever did without it, but if you spend a lot of time backing trailers you might want to think about skipping this option. There have been discussions (Upgrades and Aftermarket, maybe?) of people putting a switch inline with the beeper, to just turn it OFF for times when you don't want it at all, I'm not sure how successful anyone was.

Duncan
The 6.0L Bible: Web page
The 6.4L Bible: Web page
frobozz is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-17-2003, 07:04 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thank's for the information.
My other, is concerned about going to a dual wheel truck and although
towing the 5th wheel is less than 30% of the miles, providing her with every advantage when in the local mall parking lot is to my advantage, although when backing into a tight space any distraction
is a pain, so I guess I will have to make it in on the first try. Where is the button located to disable the alarm?
2004 F350 4X4 CC LE two tone, rear bench, 4.10LS, Rev Sensors, Adj Pedals, Pwr Rear Slider, 6 disk CD, ESOF, Line-X liner, BrakeSmart, Pullrite 15.5 with Super rails, DPPI T304 cat back, C-Beter 8,160#, Isspro Gauges on A-piller Born 11/03/2003 Adopted 11/19/03

SOLD:1997 white F350 4x4 CC SRW LB 7.3L auto 4.10 tlock ,ATS Intercooler,K&N air filter, US Gear down pipe, gauges and chip, Westin step bars, Lund visor, PullRite 25k Super5 hitch Warn Hubs

2000 Lincoln LS V8
1995 SHO
Old 06-17-2003, 07:33 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)

The button to turn it off is right on the dash, real easy to spot, but just a pain when you are in and out of reverse several times with a load, plus it beeps if you leave the tailgate down. Still a nice feature though IMHO. Would be nice if it would just automatically deactivate anytime you hooked to a trailer. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

02 F350 XLT PSD S/C 4x4 SRW LWB Auto. "Cool Duals", AIS, Dark Shadow Grey, Auto Dimming Mirror, Fog Light Mod, Heated Mirrors, Dingerless Ignition, 3 Light ID Bar, X-Monitor Guages, Wireless Keyless Entry, Dee Zee Deep Box.
85 F-250HD (Big Jake) Reg. Cab. 4x4 6.9l 4 speed 3.55LS
Birdman is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2003, 03:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

I was not to sure I'd like the sensor, but it came on my truck. If I'm in two-haul it does not beep, guess it knows theres a trailer back there, or maybe it's broke like my 6.0 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

<font color="red">My current problem child.... </font> 2003 F350 4x2 DRW CC (Born on Feb 24) Toreador Red with Med Parchment Leather, Lariat Leather Capatins Chairs, Rear bench seats, 6.0 diesel, limited slip 4.10, 6 Disc CD, Automatic, Tire upgrade and already replaced by Ford (1st set was bad), running lights, adjustable pedals, Reverse sensing, and more..... Picked up truck late March 2003 have had way too many reflashes. Won't haul my 6 horse trailer.
SRLQH is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2003, 06:55 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (15)

I would be lost without it!! As SRLQH stated if you are in tow haul it is turned off automatically. The pluses definitely out weigh the minuses. IMHO

Bob
Received (From Cochise)-2003.25 (Born on 4 Dec) White King Ranch F250 CC 6.0; 2wd; limited slip 3.73; Auto; White; Moon Roof; Tire upgrade; Running lights; Rear bench seats; adjustable pedals; Reverse sensing. Ford Replaced this truck (born 6 May 03). Nov 03 this truck developed two oil leaks. Sold truck and no longer own a Ford truck.
Photos at link
http://community.webshots.com/user/currybob
currybob is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2003, 09:47 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

If you get a 6spd it does not have tow haul mode and the rev sensors activate everytime you putit in reverse. Had i known what this option was all about i would not have ordered it because my truck has the trailer hooked up 99% of the time. I am constantly hitting the button to shut it off and it gets annoying. I think its a good option if you are without a trailer behind you but for me it was a waist of money that i could have spent elsewhere.

dfarmer is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2003, 11:25 AM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
If you get a 6spd it does not have tow haul mode and the rev sensors activate everytime you putit in reverse. Had i known what this option was all about i would not have ordered it because my truck has the trailer hooked up 99% of the time. I am constantly hitting the button to shut it off and it gets annoying. I think its a good option if you are without a trailer behind you but for me it was a waist of money that i could have spent elsewhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a bit like the Daytime Running Light "feature" the GM included with my ZR2, one that I shut off by hitting the dome light override button four times in quick sucession. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif[/img]

I have a cure, but just haven't performed it yet. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]

As for the Reverse sensors, I'd recommend a simple on/off pushbutton switch mounted in a convenient spot on the dash that shuts it off until you push that button again. You can probably get a stereo installer to safely punch a clean, factory looking hole in the dash. I'm sure someone on this list has or knows the wiring diagram enough to tell you the correct wires, or that same stereo installer has that info as well. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Pat
Impeach Bush
fastpat is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2003, 12:34 PM   #9 (permalink)
pcn

I like mine for the safety aspect. We have small children running wild everywhere in our neighborhood. That sensitivity may be one drawback for your significant other while at the mall. I've been at the mall, in reverse, waiting to back out, and had a "weight challenged" individual walk behind and set the alarm off. Safest thing may be to just not drive it to the local Crispy Cream. You'd go deaf.
pcn is offline   Quick reply to this message
Old 06-24-2003, 01:49 PM   #10 (permalink)

Thank's for all the input, if it disables in tow/haul mode that is great. I guess it will go on the must have option list. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

2000 Lincoln LS V8
1995 SHO
Old 06-24-2003, 01:57 PM   #11 (permalink)

I must be nuts because I just added one to the front of my truck. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
DPPI T304 Turbo Back Exhaust*Edge Mini Spring Pack*New A/T Revo's*Hellwig Front & Rear Anti Sway Bars*Bilstein Shocks*VelvetRide Shackles*ProFlaps*Line-X'd*HarleyPedals*Chrome Tow Hooks*DashMat*VentShades*SilverStars
TubularSteps w/Aux Mkr Lights*LED Cup Holders*24" Silicone's*BrownBread*Wilson 5K Hard Mount CB & Cell Antenna*Rancho 5406 Stabilizer*Rear Eclipse 6x9's*Juice with Attitude
<font color="blue">Volvo VNL770</font>
500 HP Series 60 Detroit*AutoShift*231" WB w/Air Ride Cab*Heated AR Seats*Heated Power Mirrors*Power Windows & Locks*Garmin 2610*Alpine In Dash XM Stereo w/Dual DVD Changers*Dual Bunks w/Work Station*Fridge/Freezer Combo
Microwave*15" LCD TV w/DVD in Sleeper*BrakeSmart*Backup Cameras*Pressure Pro Tire Pressure Monitoring System
Crapper
huch1212 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Ordering Information

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.