2012 6.7 improving fuel economy without voiding the warranty - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty truck with 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-10-2012, 12:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question 2012 6.7 improving fuel economy without voiding the warranty

Ok, this is my very first diesel and I love it, but how can I improve fuel economy without voiding my warranty. I realize driving habits, properly inflated tires etc all help, but are there other more substantial ways to improve my fuel economy?

I apologize in advance if this topic has been addressed. If so, please keep the insults to a minimum and provide me with a link to those posts.

Thanks for taking time to read/answer my post!

-DaveGTR
DaveGTR is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #2 (permalink)

The team that drove 2400 miles with 5 people and 1,000lbs of gear got an avg of like 24-25 mpg over the whole trip. 17" wheels/tires ( lighter the better), I think kept it 1-1200 RPMs, slow, smooth starts, coasting, drafting, etc.

Not much else to do without worrying about warranty that I know of.

I can get 18 or do on a long trip, I got 15 mpg avg over 25,000 miles on my 2011, sounds good to me. That's better than any other full size truck out there, or any SUV.

And yeah, if you search the site, it's been talked about before. I spend $400-700 a month on fuel, just part of driving a big truck.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S3 ( and you don't have one)
2009 F250 6.4 KR CCSB 4x4 FX4 (sold)
2011 Raptor 6.2 Crew SVT (sold at 9,000)
HoustonRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 03:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
About the only way I know of to improve mileage w/o voiding the warranty is to adjust the pressure on the go pedal.

Keeping it in the right RPM range is a huge help. If you have the indash display, you can monitor the mileage under different conditions and drive to stay in the sweet spot.

North East Mid-Atlantic Diesel Club: http://www.nemadc.org/

MrPlowJr_EZ_V is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 03:16 PM   #4 (permalink)

Keep your warranty intact? Don't mod it at all. Then again, all too many found out that FoMoCo isn't necessary standing behind them anyway.
To keep your warranty, no mods to engine.

Some dealers are turning a blind eye to mild mods like tuners and exhausts. Some do not.

For tuners, you'll probably hear H&S Minimax as being the most popular.
Though Spartan has it's following too.

There's a tuner out there called KEM which does on-road tunes to the tune of 500rwhp with all your stock stuff in place as a tune for the H&S. Common sense says that deleting all that emissions stuff and restriction would yield more power, but KEM claims similar power w/o deleting.

However, using these is like issuing yourself a $20k insurance policy. That motor pukes, you may pay yourself.

If and when I decide to play, I'll likely go with the Minimax and KEM.

Last edited by TrickTruck; 06-10-2012 at 03:22 PM.
TrickTruck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.