The Diesel Stop banner

'2015 Tuner Question

87K views 83 replies 45 participants last post by  mascudkoray9 
#1 · (Edited)
Just took delivery of our special order 2015 F350. I would like to know if I can add a tuner to the truck without any other mods? If so what tuner would those who know recommend?

Thank you in advance for the input.
James

#3 ·
I am getting horrible Mpg's out of the truck. Best I can get flat ground no wind is 17 hwy. Pulling my 28ft race hauler 6500lbs empty I am only getting 7.2 and I drive like a old lady. I had the Cortex tuner with mileage saver on my 06 and it did help so I was hoping to get another tuner to help.

#4 ·
My last diesel didn't start knocking down any kind of good mileage until it had about 20k on it... Actually I had to work it pretty hard just to get it broken in..

#6 ·
7.2 doesn't sound right towing but the 17 sounds correct. That's what I'm averaging right now. How many miles on your truck? I don't think you will ever see 20mpg without deleting so to risk warranty over 1-2mpg increase I think it crazy. But that is just my opinion. If you are going to risk voiding warranty, might as well delete and call it a day and get what you are looking for.

Keep in mind no one has any tuners for a 2015 yet and I wouldn't count on it for a little while.

Reactions: buckley.vernon
#8 ·
Filled up this morning, added my usual bottle of Stanadyne and drove 80 miles to Denton and back 70mph and averaged 15.6 driving like it was a fragile egg. The truck has 331 gears and 18'' wheel tire package. Something has got to be wrong. My 2006 got 17-19 same trip regular driving with 3.73's, 35's and 10-12mpg pulling my trailer. The 2015 now has 3400 miles on it.

I love every other aspect of the new truck except the mgp's. Everything I read before pulling the trigger said towing would be 12mpg or better with what I use it for. I will go broke at 7mpg!

#9 ·
I think the first thing is to see if anyone has 2015 6.7 tuner. The next step is if they think it will improve MPG. Then find out how the DPF and regen frequency fare with that tuner in place.
If you are driving today with the 20+ mph winds it will kill milage. I drove from hwy 156 to Decatur and back and my MPG was down even though the wind was out of the south more or less and I was going west and then east.

#10 ·
I would give it some more mileage before making any changes. I was at 5,500 miles before I ever reached 20 MPG empty. Also check your front hubs and make sure they are in the Auto position and not in the Lock position. If you don't see improvement, have your dealer take a look.

#11 ·
I cant even get close to 20mpg with a tail wind unloaded. Last week I towed my 28ft enclosed to Pecos and back and averaged 7.2 mpg, trailer weight is 6500lbs. On that trip I was very concerned and spoke to my sales rep and was asked to check the hubs. You guessed it, one side was on auto the other was locked. Not sure yet how much that effected the mpg's because I have not towed again. Today I noticed a drive line clunk when taking off from a stop. Once back from my trip today I parked it in the shop and closed up, went out a little later and the entire shop had that hot clutch/brake smell. I think its time to see a dealer

This was today's trip and never exceeded 70mph on the interstate.

Attachments

#14 ·
I agree, going to keep it stock. But what is with this crappy mileage? Anyone else with a 15 want to chime in on what mpg's they are getting?

I was told by my rep that the 2015 was supposed to increase in fuel economy over the 14's but from what I am reading and experiencing I am not seeing the increase.

#17 ·
I don't know who told you that but that was nothing from Ford. Ford publicly stated that the 15s would maintain the same fuel economy as the 11-14s even with increased power due to fine tuning the new injectors, the HPFP upgrade and the new temp sensors in the motor to monitor a more efficient burn.

#15 ·
On a recent 600 mile trip, 100% highway driving at ~70-75mph I got 18mpg (including two regens). Around town, it is 11-12mpg but no stop light drag racing! All unloaded...first trailer trip is coming this weekend.

#18 ·
I'm also running about high 16s with 1 regen per tank. The regen hits me at about 1.5-2mpg. This is about 50/50 mix driving as I live on slow country roads and being in NH.. we are not known for our flat roads.

#19 ·
I can accept the 15-16mpg hwy unloaded, its the 7mpg towing that is killing me. I mainly use the truck for towing my 28ft race hauler 6500lbs empty. I sell printing equipment and use the truck and trailer to deliver and install. My last regen started after fill up and I am now on a quarter tank without another. When my regen starts I go from 15-16 to 10-11mpg, are you sure it only effects you 1.5-2mpg? I would love to narrow down that my truck is either an odd ball that can be fixed or the norm that I have to live with.
My 2006 F350 with 198k on the clock gets a solid 12mpg with this trailer on the same trips and it has larger 35" tires.

Trailer pic

Attachments

#21 ·
Back from first weekend towing (35' TT, ~8500lbs), got 10.5-11mpg per the meter with the cruise set at ~68mph. Probably could have done a little better adjusting for the hills rather than leave it on cruise but it was the first time ever I was able to tow with the cruise control on...I like that!! No regens during towing but had one during a short trip without the trailer.

Truck has 18" wheels and 3.55 rear end.

#22 · (Edited)
So every tank the lie o meter has been about .5 gallon lower on mpg then hand calculated. My fill up this morning was 17.0mpg and the display showed 16.3. Today was the first time that I took an actually all highway trip (about an hour) and this is what my display said and it was still climbing. The sweet spot is 62mph...

I then had to get off the highway and do some city driving and a regen kicked in too which dropped me down to 16.1 on the display and then the rest was highway back and I'm back to low 17s now. With my regen out of the way on this tank I'm thinking I'll get up to 18 now with this tank.

I'm also a true believer that a DPF delete on this will now yield me 20+mpg at a 60-62mph cruising speed.

So I think a DPF delete will be in the works eventually. Based on my math, it's costing me $80-$100 a month extra in fuel because of the regen process... so I would make back that money and be ahead of the game come 18 months after the DPF install.

#23 ·
I had some mixed but mostly hwy with this last fill up. Today I topped it off and the dash said 15.5mpg, when I hand calculated it was actually 16.3. I may be towing down to Austin next week so I will see what happens with mpg's. Im now at 4400 miles and plan to change the oil this weekend. I found the Rotella 5-40 synthetic for $22 gl at walmart and a motorcraft oil filter at the local parts store for $18. I hope that going to full synthetic will also help mpg a little?

Does anyone think going to synthetic this early will extend break in time?

#24 ·
How many miles do you have on your truck now, Blwnsmoke? Are you using any kind of fuel additive?

#25 ·
Almost 2,500 miles, I'm using the Ford Cetane additive. I bought 2 gallons of PM-22 and a gallon of PM-23 for the winter from Scott when I picked up the truck and a 6oz bottle as well. I just refill the 6oz bottle and keep that with my in the truck. I figure with the lack of lubrication in ULSD and how sensitive these fuel systems are, it is better to use a Ford product as it is easy documentation to show.

#27 ·
I have a 12 that is going to my company and was looking in to a new truck, but have heard the same thing about the 15's.

Don't know how true this is, but I found on another forum that you have to turn off the traction control manually every time you start the truck, and the MPG will be where it is supposed to be. Again, I don't have a 2015 so I can't test this theory.

Somebody may want to check this and post the resulting info.

#28 ·
I wonder how/why traction control would have any impact on fuel economy unless you are running huge tires along with a lift and the yaw sensor was triggering the stability control?

#30 ·
I would put traction control off and MPG improves as being internet legend at this point.

#31 ·
Here is the link on the Sway Control, not traction control as I stated.

New 2015 F350, first observations - Ford Powerstroke Diesel Forum

1st page has the info I read.

Another stated in there that the Sway Control applies brakes to reduce wiggle independent of the operator,and that the hubs were locked from the dealer as well.

Again, don't know if all this is valid, but maybe someone with a '15' can check this out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.