The Diesel Stop banner

Anyone running a DPF on tune?

20K views 25 replies 8 participants last post by  SkiSmuggs 
#1 ·
I have a 2015 f250 and was wondering what was out there and what peoples thoughts were that were running them.

#2 ·
I personally have not but I am interested in that as well. I read an article in a Diesel magazine about the Superchips F4 that had very good results. Hopefully someone will chime in with personal experience.

#3 · (Edited)
Anyone running a dpf on tune?

I currently have about 2k miles running IDP dpf on tunes via sct x4 and I love them! Shifts great out the box and keeps getting better in the top end. Mpg is about the same averaging about 13.7 in the city! Regens about the same about 1 per tank! But the grin factor is definitely there when u mash on the skinny pedal! Great customer service with those guys so that's also a plus. I'm In a 2015 f350 Drw. stock everything even tires

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#5 ·
I am very interested in getting DPF friendly tunes. If you could give me some more info that would be great. Types of tunes with numbers, how easy it is to shift between tunes. Anything that you don't like about it. Why you chose that tuner over another. Thanks

#6 ·
Been really busy with work and all!! But will definitely post up ASAP pros cons and all that good stuff!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
I'm running DPF on tunes from IDP as well, I'm running mine with a livewire TS. I have three tunes, Tow, Street, Xtreme. I like the way the shifting is on all tunes, but particularly when working the truck. Before the tunes I felt the shifting was a bit undefined, it seemed to hunt just a bit when the engine could have lugged. I can say that towing heavy I don't find much of a difference in power on my tow tune vs. stock. I have not run the Xtreme tune very much, but i can say I don't notice a huge power gain over the street tune. Now I come from a very heavily modified 6.0L so my comparison is slightly tarnished.(this truck is light years different to me in every way) I have towed light loads on my street tune and noticed a small mileage increase.

I also upgraded my air intake to a no limit stage II, when I did this my truck required all of my tunes to be tweaked to keep from setting a code for excessive EGR flow. When I worked through this issue with IDP, I was told that they have reworked things but not to an excessive amount, apparently as we all know there is a fine line between getting a couple more horses and keeping the DPF clean/going through 55 gallons of DEF per tank of fuel.

In summary I can say:

Tow tune is a great tune for working the truck just based on the transmission tuning.
Street tune adds some decent power/acceleration with nice shifting. (perfect combo for most of us)
Xtreme tune is not much different to ME than the street tune.

I think this is a perfect option for those that want to roll the dice with their warranty and get a bit more crisp feel out of both the engine and transmission. I really like being able to keep as much stock and reliable as possible with a bit of perfection around the edges.

I'm running this on a 2014 DRW, 4x4, CC. So I'd say my results are a bit different then someone with a lighter, single rear wheel, single cab.

#10 ·
I think this is a perfect option for those that want to roll the dice with their warranty
I have my reserves about challenging my warranty
I've got a 2015 and thinking about getting a tuner. I ran an IDP SCT X3 in my 2004 6.0L and loved it.

I'm curious about warranty issues though. I dont want to delete yet (if ever) and long as it works properly. So I'm thinking a DPF friendly tuner.

Will just the addition of a tuner void power-train warranty? Can you not return it to stock without leaving traces of the tuner on the PCM?

I guess I'm asking is if you had to have warranty work done, couldn't you just un-tune and be back to stock?

:thumbsup:

#9 ·
Thanks for your response. Im getting ready to pull the trigger on IDP tunes and its nice to hear people using and liking them. I have my reserves about challenging my warranty but my 2010 was Spartan tuned and deleted and I miss that feeling of the diesel power. For those on here that haven't experienced it, they have no idea what they are missing. And I don't race nor drive hard, but just the shear power that is hidden in the engines is crazy. I want that back.

#12 ·
No. Unfortunately I haven't yet. But it's still on the radar.

#14 ·
Testing an Innovative Diesel tow tune and am impressed with the clean, crisp shifting. I did ask for changes to the 5-6 and 6-5 shifting to prevent lugging in 6th so we will see how that goes.

#15 ·
I will say that Innovative has been very responsive to my requests to change the 5-6 and 6-5 shifting. The tow tune has great shifting except for going into 6th too soon at 40 and not down shifting soon enough when pulling a grade to keep from bogging some. I had them change the neutral throttle shift to 6th from 40 to 45 and the down shift to 5th when slowing from upper 30s to 42. This prevents any lugging in 6th and probably reduces soot buildup.
The tune shifts quickly and crisply at 1/4 throttle and slips through the gears with no drama. It is a lot more fun (sporty) with the tweaks I had them make.

#17 ·
Not at the moment. I had a bad experience when I accidentally ended on a narrow, steep mountain road with hairpin turns and the IDP tow tune fell on its face, almost stalling out when taking steep uphill hairpin turns.
I finally determined the problem is that Tow/Haul is not changing shift points, so it still shifts like we have 7500 lbs instead of 17500 lbs. I switched back to 5 Star and it was like a cool drink on a hot day. I notified IDP 3 days ago, but have yet to hear back.

#18 ·
wow, good to know. I had always used IDP with my previous 6.0 diesels and was very happy. I then used 5 star with my Ecoboost with good results. I am now back into a diesel (6.7), and have 5 star tow loaded currently. I didn't notice much of a power increase, but shifting was definitely improved. Keep us posted on how IDP responds.

#19 · (Edited)
The IDP tow tune has a lot going for it; strong power and crisp shifts, but the failure to change shift strategy in Tow/Haul is a fail. I have not heard back, but they may be trying to find the problem, whether it is just my strategy or all strategies. I would happily try it again once they get it fixed. But the 5-Star tune never misses a beat and extends my regen intervals.

Just found out from someone else with a different strategy has the same problem: T/H doesn't do anything with his IDP Tow tune.

#20 ·
I just received an e-mail from IDP saying that they have since remedied the issues that were seen. Basically they had adjusted the shift points to be very similar to tow/haul mode and it was a bit of a miscommunication. Have you heard back from them yet?

#21 ·
Just this afternoon, we may finally have the IDP tow tune issues ironed out with Version 1.3 (no need to specify as that is what you would get anyway). Blwnsmoke and I have tested extensively between us and IDP has made several changes to make it a good daily driver. Blwnsmoke will be towing in a couple of days, and I will be towing Monday to verify the towing part, but finally, pushing the T/H button moves the shift patterns higher which it wasn't doing before. The power curve and shifting mechanics have been good all along, but the shift points and use of TC Lock have been the problem.

#22 ·
After a 2000 mile tow using both IDP and 5 Star tow tunes, I will say that I prefer 5 Star for towing as the shifting is always on the money, and I prefer the IDP tune for daily driving for the added power and crisp shifting. What a dilemma! Both shift at about the same points when towing, but 5* just seems to nail it better. As for towing power, it is hard to distinguish the 20 HP difference between the two and 5* seems just as strong or stronger towing, but the difference is clearly felt once unhooked in IDP's favor. Towing fuel mileage seemed more dependent on conditions and terrain as I got 10.4 on the way out with both, but 10.4 back with IDP and 11.4 with 5* that included a regen, but wind may have been less.

#23 · (Edited)
Surprise! I bought and loaded the heavy tow (10K +) tune from DP-Tuner yesterday and it is the best tune I've had on this truck. The quick, smooth shifting and well matched engine power make this tune a delight as a daily driver. The mileage looks like it will be good with it as well, although I have less that 50 miles on it, but it actually came up during some casual driving. I haven't towed with it yet and the season is over, but I've read good things. DP-Tuner also has a light tow (under 10K) and a performance tune.

#24 ·
A major difference between the DP-Tuner and IDP tow tunes seems to be the low end power. DP-Tuner can pull from about 800 RPM and the IDP tune bogs under 1100 RPM. Most of the tweaking we did with the IDP tow tune was adjusting shift points to 1200 and above, so even with almost twice the advertised power, IDP is just not as strong on the low end. I've heard that those problems continue with the light tow and street tunes. They really need to get that fixed.

#26 ·
Since my fifth wheel is on the border between the DP Tuner Heavy and Light tow tunes, I got the Light tow tune for comparison as it is 50HP vs 35 for the Heavy. The extra power is apparent in the mid-range. Also, I had to turn off Traction Control to leave a stop at 1/2 throttle or more because TC would bog it down. With TC off, lighting up the tires is no problem. This one is much sportier than the Heavy tow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.