Which programmer??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty truck with 6.7L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 6.7L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2012, 11:32 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Which programmer???

What would be the best programmer for a 2011 f250 with around 12000 miles? Any feed back on any of them. I'm think of getting a dpf delete kit soon FYI.
atx512 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-11-2012, 01:21 PM   #2 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews
H&S Mini Maxx. Nothing else even comes close.

Call 888-516-4644 or Chat Live On Our Site

DSTRBD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

Round here, you'll hear H&S most often.
Lots of happy Spartan guys running around too.

I'm leaning towards H&S w/ kem tunes in the far distant future when I don't care about my warranty anymore.
Old 05-12-2012, 09:46 AM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
I too am in the market...
looking for a nice boost
- i.e. not after every last hp, - more interested in usable torque -
and without having to take out another mortgage

have lot's of experience with sct custom tuning on my 3 previous diesels, but looking for a nice boost without doing too much other stuff...

step son got the superchips flashpaq for his 6.2L raptor and likes it - did boost it nicely...

have read the opinions here about h&s, etc...
but has anyone done a real comparison ? even the vendors say "this one" or that one is the best (on all they offer !) and that's not a comparison... i.e. has any verifed the many claims ?

if the superchips gives me 150hp @ $300 and H&s gives me 150 at $650
and the whatever gives me x hp.....

how do I go about a decision.... want to tune it and store the unit in the console and drive until I need to tow - then go from there

thanks in advance

Last edited by JohnBoyII; 05-12-2012 at 10:24 AM.
JohnBoyII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2012, 05:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

I have a Spartan form a 6.4L that I re-licensed for my 6.7L. The Spartan has a modest gain (only one level DPF on) but can be felt and the transmission tuning was perfect on mine.

I then bought a HS Mini Maxx to try. The 40hp gain on the HS doesnt feel as good as the Spartan. The 80 and 120 tunes are quite noticeable and I do see a mileage increase with the 120 tune. The transmission shifting is very good on the HS as well. Advantage is shift on the fly which is nice.

Then, that wasn't enough. I got the KEM green tunes...Mr. Man hang on. The level 4 (fuel management-150hp) is extremely strong and mileage is at least 4 mpg better on my truck. KEM has much firmer shifting, in fact perhaps a bit harsh till its done learning.

These are all DPF on tunes I have tried....Love them all.

As far as cost per hp, you'll have to decide for yourself. From personal experience I won't run SuperChips again...I believe you get what you pay for. Go with the boys that are in the know!!

Last edited by wingburner; 06-10-2012 at 05:15 PM.
wingburner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-04-2012, 04:32 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
I think the general consensus is Spartan or H&S, both have the option of extra tunes(I believe River City can tune on spartan[ don't quote me on that] and KEM on H&S). While it may be cheaper to go w/ an SCT, these also monitor things such as egts, rail pressure, boost etc. and give you digital gauges to monitor them.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
IDIfan214 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-16-2012, 03:57 PM   #7 (permalink)

have had spartan on my 08 since day one and no problems. tuned my 6.7 at 1500 miles with spartan and did have a hard shift between 1st and 2nd but they just released update tune to fix that. Have not run other tunes but heard good things about them. My buddy who installs both h&s and spartan says some guys came back for the spartan.
eastern is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2012, 03:27 PM   #8 (permalink)

Partial to SCT

I'm happy with my SCT (kinda biased...sorry). No lights and good mileage.

Whats the main reason for removing the DPF? The 6.7 does not mimic the 6.4L regarding fuel savings.
tunerfish is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 12:31 PM   #9 (permalink)

Is there any tuners other than the Superchips 1858 that are made to be ran with the exhaust/emission system left all stock? Just walk out of the store, plug in the tuner, change the tune and drive away.
Old 09-18-2012, 02:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icedog View Post
Is there any tuners other than the Superchips 1858 that are made to be ran with the exhaust/emission system left all stock? Just walk out of the store, plug in the tuner, change the tune and drive away.

You are not required to do a DPF delete in order to add a H&S tuner (i assume spartan is the same)
2012 F-350 KR 6.7, CCSB 4x4, Carli 4.5" Pin Top 2.5, prog leaf packs, 1" blocks, long travel airbags, AirLift WirelessAir, 5gal OBA, Amp steps, B&W Hitch, BakFlip F1, Kenwood DNX-9990, JL 700/5, BA Comp, 2-PGold 10", Rigid Ind 20" light bar, 295/65-20 Toyo M/Ts on OEM wheels.

Sold - 2005 F-250 Lariat 6.0 Crew, SB, 6 Speed, 4x4, Wedgewood/Tan
2008 Hydra-Sport 23 Bay Bolt w/ Etec 250
2003 Sonic Blue Cobra 666rwhp 600rwtq,
1997 Jeep Wrangler B3.3T Cummins, NSG370 6 speed, Ford 8.8 rear, Dana 44 front, 37x12.50 PitBull Rockers
ViperKiller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-18-2012, 06:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Like any tuner the real magic is in the tune itself. I've always found factory tunes to be good on most tuners, but a custom tune by an experienced guy is always going to beat the factory tunes. In my '06 6.0 I went 14.8 in the 1/4 with my Edge Programmer set for the hottest tune. With the SCT and a custom tune from Innovative I went 14.2. That's a serious bump in power. The throttle response was also a lot better. I think you are good either way(Spartan or H&S), but would always recommend a custom tune.
'06 F250 4x4 - 5" Flo Pro exhaust, SB Filter intake, Accufab elbow, Edge Evolution (monitoring only), SCT w/ ID custom tune, FASS 195 pump, Gillette Diesel EGR cooler delete, Sinister Diesel coolant filter, ELC coolant, updated turbo drain tube/oil feed line/STC fitting/oil cooler, ARPs w/OEM HGs, Elite coolant lines, ITP RR fuel system, Warren Diesel 175cc injectors, Powermax, BD CCV, FICM.com FICM w/ ID tune, Elite UP, BPD water pump - 13.069 @ 101.94

'02 WRX - Outback rear disc swap, EBC green pads, DBA pillar vane rotors, TXS UP/TBE/TMIC, Perrin LW crank pulley, PPG billet steel shift forks, ACT Streetlite flywheel & clutch, K&N filter, STi Group N motor/trans mounts, TiC/Kartboy rear diff mounts/subframe lock bolts/outrigger stiffeners, Kartboy SS & all shifter bushings, custom PDX tune for Cobb AP - went 14.1 on a terrible 60ft before most of these mods; shooting for 13.50s
TKOPerformance is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-08-2012, 06:30 PM   #12 (permalink)

For Wingburner...or you too, if it applies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingburner View Post
I then bought a HS Mini Maxx to try. The 40hp gain on the HS doesnt feel as good as the Spartan. The 80 and 120 tunes are quite noticeable and I do see a mileage increase with the 120 tune. The transmission shifting is very good on the HS as well. Advantage is shift on the fly which is nice.

Then, that wasn't enough. I got the KEM green tunes...Mr. Man hang on. The level 4 (fuel management-150hp) is extremely strong and mileage is at least 4 mpg better on my truck. KEM has much firmer shifting, in fact perhaps a bit harsh till its done learning.
I am curious how the Mini Maxx and KEM green tunes are doing any regrets?
2006 F-350 XL - Traded
2005 F-350 XLT - Totaled
USAF Retired!
RM2011F250XLT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-09-2012, 03:16 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
I'm happy with my Bully Dog. Nice thing is it's CARB approved for us in California.
2012 F-350 Lariat FX4 CC, LB, Dark Metallic Green Build Date 8/1/12. Factory spray in bedliner, Hitch prep, Camper Package & Tailgate step. Tow 33' Teton triple slide, 5th wheel & 34' Kiefer Built Gooseneck Horse trailer with 11' living quarters
DesertRat2011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-12-2012, 07:53 PM   #14 (permalink)

Mini maxx and delete it.
Nissankidd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2012, 01:13 AM   #15 (permalink)

how does this work when i bring the truck in for service?
do i remove it befor i bring it in?
can they tell it has been chipped?
jayjayralph is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > 6.7L Upgrades and Aftermarket - Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.