The Diesel Stop banner

Rolling Black Smoke

8K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  shoguy89 
#1 ·
I've been in Virginia the last few weeks and had the opportunity to drive my cousins 2011 F350 6.7 diesel. He had it deleted using an SCT X4. The truck had a lot of power and great throttle response, but left a huge cloud of black, sooty, smoke when I romped it. When I commented, he said that it was normal with no muffler. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but black smoke indicates a bad tune that is not burning fuel properly; correct? Should the truck be taken back to the garage for a better tune, more efficient tune? Just curious.

#3 ·
Hi diesel. The truck blows a LOT of black smoke on initial romp, but clears up after about 5 seconds.

#4 ·
Hi Clev,
It sounds like the tuner put a bit much duration in the tune.
He might want to send out an oil sample.
Other things can cause it like a clogged intake, be it a clogged filter or blockage like a rodents nest or plastic bag.
On that initial stab of the accelator it's going to give a lot of fuel but it should shadowy not thick thick acrid smoke, that's no Bueno for the engine, no good for environment or health.
No smoke laws are sweeping the country. Even if you don't regularly get tested if the state adopts the no smoke law, he will get an inspection ticket and will have to reinstall the factory stuff.
Oil sample, call tuner.
Always nice chattin with you Clev.:smile2:

#5 ·
Same here, diesel; thanks.

#7 ·
He really liked the Edge Evolution CTS that I use in my truck, strictly for gauges, no tuning. We were talking, and he would like to try the tunes in the Edge, if I will loan it to him. He has access to purchase the older CTS, like mine, but wants to make sure it can work before he lays out the money. I don't want to him to use mine if there's a chance mine will be damaged. So, what do you think? Can you delete with an SCT X4, and then tune with an Edge Evolution?

#8 ·
My cousin just called and asked about adding new tunes to his sct x4. Anyone know where to purchase additional tunes for a deleted 6.7?

#9 ·
Give us a call, we'll point you in the right direction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.