2012 Ford F250 Fuel Tank - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket

'11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
2012 Ford F250 Fuel Tank

Today I was looking into more info on the new F250 I got this past weekend and noticed that F250s with the 156" wheelbase come with a 26 gallon fuel tank but that's listed under "SuperCab". I guess I was under the impression that they all came with a 37.5 gallon tank.

From Ford Specs Site:

35 gallons (6.2L V8 gas engine)

26 gallons (6.7L Power Stroke™ Turbo Diesel on 137", 142" and 156" wheelbases)

37.5 gallons (6.7L Power Stroke™ Turbo Diesel on 158" and 172" wheelbases)

I am assuming that the 37.5 gallon will be a simple bolt in upgrade, I also noticed some thread about a Titan 50 gallon tank?

Those of you have upgraded to the 50 gallon tank, does it hang down much lower than the stock tanks? How does the skid plate compare that is provided? Ford also has the ability to reprogram the computer to recognize the added fuel capacity which reflects on our "Miles to Empty"?

Thanks!
StickyF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #2 (permalink)

Well I know for a fact that the 12 has a 26 gal tank. I ran out the other day when it said I had 24 gallons left and put 26.3 gallons in it.

I also have a Titan 51 gal on my 08 f250 and it does hang down about 7" past the Frame rail, all though mine doesn't have the skid plate on it so I don't know how much further it would be with it.
I also just had to have the front strap replaced on it cause it broke on me. It sucks walking up to your truck and seeing the fuel tank laying on the ground. So I had to jack it up and put a ratchet strap on it to keep it up.

I'm thinking of seeing if a f350 37 gal tank will fit and going to a junk yard and picking one up from there and putting it under my truck for the 12.
Toyo 35/12.5/20 on Harley wheels

2012 Grey f-250 4x4 swb |full options|20" factory| no mods yet

2006 Pontiac Gto 6.0| Maggie 2300| 600 rwhp & 590 rwtq|& a lot more mods|
Silver08 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-16-2013, 09:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

Silver08,

I'm thinking about swapping out the 26 gallon tank for the 37.5 gallon tank.

I can't imagine walking out and seeing the tank laying on the ground, not a good feeling I imagine!

I'm looking into the 37.5 tank from Tasca. I'm guessing the only think I'll have to swap are the straps and tank, everything else should just bolt in place.
StickyF250 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-17-2013, 08:05 AM   #4 (permalink)

If I remember, to put a stock 37 gallon tank into a truck that came with a 26 gallon, you had to rearrange the DEF tank as well. I can't remember with the Titan's and others what all was involved, but it was a fairly simple swap.
BakFlip G2 Bed Cover
2010 Wildcat 28RKBS 5er
edjunior is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 01:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by StickyF250 View Post
Silver08,

I'm thinking about swapping out the 26 gallon tank for the 37.5 gallon tank.

I can't imagine walking out and seeing the tank laying on the ground, not a good feeling I imagine!

I'm looking into the 37.5 tank from Tasca. I'm guessing the only think I'll have to swap are the straps and tank, everything else should just bolt in place.
For what its worth, I have a 50 gallon in my bed but I have an 8ft bed with CrewCab. I agree with you that Ford did not do anyone any good by adding 27 gal tank in the short bed. It is primarily due to the Piss Tank they added in 2011. If you peruse the headings on this forum you will find all kinds of options for tanks. One in Titan, another is TransferFlow. One is plastic the other steel.
Mojoron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2013, 02:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

i just wish i could find a replacement for a supercab but titan stopped making those...
Joshua.B.Sweeney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 10:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

I couldn't agree with you more. In fact, the only reason I went with a 8ft bed was to get the bigger tank and to be able to put a transfer tank in the bed and have room to store s I am in the process of moving and instead of paying $8000 for some retard to break my stuff I decided to do it myself, since I can break it as easy as they can I have to make about 6 trips at 550 miles one way pulling a small trailer over about three months to do the deed. I just couldn't justify having to stop every 300 miles for fuel. The other thing is that diesel down in the south is much less expensive than it is in the midwest because of the state taxes. I can fill up my OEM tank and my 50 gallon tank down here and take a load and return (1100 miles) on one fill up. That is about $316 at today's prices. That way I can stop when I want to stop not when my truck tells me to stop.

Another irrelevant factoid is that the new F150 Ecoboost that came out in 2011 had a short tank in it too, for only ONE YEAR (in the short bed model), then they started to put the 37 gallon tank in it in 2012. The tanks are not interchangeable, how dumb was that. That was the main reason why I went to a SD plus I was not getting the super-duper-supercalifragilisticexpialidosius milage that they were advertising. I got 14.1 and they were advertising 17 in town and 21 on the road. If you read on the F150 forums, about half are getting fantastic milage, some as high as 22 on the road and 18 around town, then there were trucks like mine that were getting 14, 13 and even 11. So the Ecoboost engine, while being a good overall design, is not operating like Ford had planned. Even the 4 cylinder Ecoboost is not getting OMG milage like some of the small V6's of other brands are getting. Ford has always had problems with fuel economy compared to the other makers, for some unknown reason.
Mojoron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

2012 Ford F250 Fuel Tank

I have the Titan 50 gallon on a shortbed crew cab and love it. It hangs down about a inch lower than the stock tank and it longer. It kind of wraps around the fuel filter and extends towards the front of the truck more than the stock tank. You cannot use the skid plates if you have the FX4.

cwtex04

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide
Golden Bronze Metallic , Pale Adobe Two-Tone
Black interior option
Chrome Package
Supplemental heat option
LineX bed liner
Frontier Grill guard ( Line Xed Pale Adobe)
Roll N lock bed cover
Titan 50 gal. tank
Ford all weather mats
cwtex04 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.