The Diesel Stop banner

Add a fuse

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  HeavyAssault 
#1 · (Edited)
Hi,
I want to add a fuse to the passenger compartment fuse panel for a dash cam, I want to power with key on (otherwise I could drain the battery. Looking in the owners manual I see a layout of the fuses (see attachment) I bought a add a fuse at an auto parts store but just looking for advice which fuse to tap into. I suspect 10 Amp circuit should be fine. Just for easy access for me I was looking for a circuit below fuse 40. Any ideas / thoughts would be welcome. See signature block for truck information.

Note: I didn't want to plug into the cig outlet direct because I wanted to hide / keep clean the wiring.

I added the fuse section of the owners manual.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
This. I used that wire for everything I hard wired, radar detector, phone charger etc. I saved the upfitters for things I needed to be able to switch.

#6 ·
Its in the PTO bundle, but not specifically for PTO. I think it was blue with a white tracer. If memory serves it was nto a whole lot, 5 or 10 amps maybe? More than enough for my phone and radar detector, but not for say an inverter or anything. You could use it to pump a relay and feed your fuse block with that...

#7 · (Edited)
For anything that would draw some decent amps (IE light bar) I would use the KEY HOT feed to activate a relay feeding off the battery. To use it o power 1-2 AMP draw it's no problem to wire it direct.

I'd have to research the PTO wiring stuff to better understand the AMP rating of the KEY HOT White w/Blue tracer. EDIT: Owner's manual shows a 10A fuse.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.