The Diesel Stop banner

Added OEM Backup camera and mirror.

36K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  Zmanm3 
#1 · (Edited)
I added the factory style backup camera I haven't been able to find much were anyone did this other then on the F150s. I was able to find most of the diagrams I needed from here.

09 rear view camera - Page 18 - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

I was putting this in my 2011 F250 XL regular cab long box. My pickup had zero wiring to the mirror which somewhat simplified it and also meant I had none of the needed wiring.

What I used

Ford Mirror with Monitor mine came off ebay a takeoff from an expidition with a 6" pigtail $125 on ebay
11 Tailgate handle with Camera $65 from tasca parts
11 Tailgate Camera $275 tasca parts
16/3 wire I used a 25ft 16/3 cold weather extension cord
16/4 wire 4ft roughly
4 pin connector I used a 4 pin trailer connector
misc connectors, zipties tape ect(I used all connectors with the built on shrink rap)

Starting in the back I cut the harness on the camera open hooked the 16/4 to that end you need switched power, ground, and video + and - I skipped the shielding wire and my picture looks great. Then run the 16/4 down through the tailgate out the hole just to the right side of the center of the tailgate and down around under the box and put your 4pin connector on.

Now take the 16/3 wire and splice one end into the trailer connector you need the middle wire which is backup and figure out the ground and switched power also. Then run that over to were your connector from the tailgate is. Cut the out jacket open leave the wire that was hooked to the backup signal alone and cut the ones that are power and ground. Hook those to the appropriate spots on the connector and then use the other side of the same wires and hook them to the connector for your video + and -. Now run that wire along the frame and into the cab up the corner post along the front of the headliner to the mirror.

Here is were if you already have a 10pin mirror connector it will get more complicated and also easier then my installation. You'll have to cut all the wires from your 10pin connector and wire them into the appropriate spots on the new 16pin and hook in the 3 wires you just brought to the appropriate spots also. In my case I had nothing so I ran another 2 strand wire hooking a switched power from the bundle behind the data port near the park brake to the in my case yellow/orange wire or in EB it says it can be white/blue and wired the ground to the metal frame under the dash.

I also hooked the reverse wire up through a relay so I can turn the camera on with a up fitter switch also using directions from here http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f55/backup-camera-idea-210757/

I'm including all the diagrams I used to figure this out and a real simple one of what I did. The colors might not match they didn't in my case but the pins did.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Found were I wrote down the camera part number it is 9C3Z-19G490-E

I can't find were I put the number for the handle if I find it I'll post it. Also the camera between the F150 and F250 are not interchangeable without figure out a new way to mount the F150 style.

#4 ·
Good thread, thanks for the info, just ordered a new Gentex mirror/display, and now searching for a camera. I did find one with a 45 deg mount, and I was thinking of installing it where one of the tag lights go, but being that the camera would then be mounted on it's side, I'm pretty sure I would not be able to rotate the image 90 deg.
Anybody have any sources for a decent camera?

#6 ·
Thanks, the only draw back for me would be that I would need to replace the tail gate handle as well.
Do you know if the Lariats have the wiring harness already run for the camera?

#7 ·
I'm not sure on that yet its next on my list of things to not that were done planting and have a little free time. On the F150s it seems to be related to if you have backup sensors or not for some reason which I do on my Lariat. I would still need the rear harness that does the tailights ect and the cab roof harness if my main harness has the wiring in it and it might just be cheaper to wire it myself.

#8 ·
I notice that in image 3 you cut the original reverse line to put it into the upfitter relay. Is this just the signal to the rear view mirror that the vehicle is in reverse? Does this make it to where the camera operates as normal if the switch is not flipped, just gives you the ability to turn on the camera when you want? Also in image 1 i understand that pin 1 is your power, pin 4 and pin 5 make up your rca video supply and pin 6 is your ground, but what is shield on pin 2? I am looking at adding a camera to my toolbox for hitching up goosenecks and I already have a factory camera in the tailgate and I want to keep it and be able to switch between the two. I have found other cameras other than the ford OEM camera for much cheaper, but want to make sure that they are compatible with the ford stuff. I dont need the lines for hitching up a gooseneck, just the ability to see what is going on.

Andrew

#9 ·
You will need to put in a relay that will connect one camera and disconnect the other. You Ford monitor can't handle multiple cameras. You put the relay under the truck or under a seat and switch it with one of your upfitter switches or an some other switch you install.

#10 ·
I know about the need for a relay which is not hard to wire up. Just checking that another camera that is not ford will work with the ford stuff. Ground can be common between the two cameras as well as power (assuming the circuit can handle two cameras). The easiest way to make sure there are no problems is to wire a 4pdt relay and splice into the existing camera harness. I dont understand what the shield pin is for, and the other question is if the camera always is on and feeding info to the mirror (and the mirror screen is off). I figure that the camera is like a cable box or a dvd player at your house that is always on. It is actually feeding info to the mirror like the tv all the time it is just that the mirror or tv is not on until you put your vehicle in reverse.

Andrew

#11 ·
#12 ·
I have been thinking about putting a camera on High Mount Stop Lamp, I would like to be able to see 5th wheel hitch while hooking up, this would be a good way of doing that.

#13 · (Edited)
I have the Master lock wireless camera system.can put it anywhere. very simple. can carry it and put on any vehicle with standard 4 pin flat trailer plug.works great for 5th wheel hook up,and or on back of a trailer. got it from truckaddons.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.