AirBag psi unloaded - how much? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 12:22 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
AirBag psi unloaded - how much?

Hi there, I was wondering... what are you all running in your airbags when not towing?

I'm running Firestone Ride Rite's on a 2014 F350 dually. I thought by bringing it down to the minimum 10psi it may unnecessarily roughen the ride. Obviously a 1 Ton is not going to be a plush ride but I thought there may be a happy medium on ride quality when not loaded.

Any thoughts?
Thx,
hd

Current: 2014 F350 4X4 Platinum Dually 6.7 Powerstroke

Previous: 2012 F250 4X4 Lariat FX4 Fleetside 6.7 Powerstroke

Previous: 2005 Excursion 4X4 Limited V10 Gasser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 03:30 PM

My Photos: (10)
The less air you have in them the better it will ride. Mine are at 5 psi when I'm empty. It seems to me that my ride with the bags at 5 is still a little rougher than the truck was without the bags.

2012 F250 XLT
6.7 CCSB 4X4 Sterling Grey, B&W Turnover Goosenech Hitch, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, 50 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank, Weather Tech mats
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-03-2017, 05:53 PM

Swme here only 5psi

2002 f250 7.3 4x4 256,000miles. Bone stock other than hutch mode and edge evo programer I use for gadges most of the time. I also have air bags on back for towing.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 06:22 AM
DKR

I think it says 5 psi minimum.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1011 View Post
It seems to me that my ride with the bags at 5 is still a little rougher than the truck was without the bags.
Interesting, so you think it may have decreased unloaded ride quality? I would have thought that having airbags would have kept some of the travel off the leaf springs therefore softening the ride somewhat.

I'm still learning about these things. First time I've owned airbags on a Superduty.

Thx!
Hd

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 11:23 AM

My Photos: (1)
No, airbags stiffens it. If it raises truck off the leaf springs it is because it has the force of the leaf springs. The spring rate (force increase per unit of compression for airbags is higher than for the leaf springs. The leaf springs on late model trucks are why they ride so much better than older trucks. It is also the reason the new trucks drop so much more for the same load compared to the older ones. Airbags make loaded ride better because they can do two things: keep truck from hitting the bump stops and the airbags plus leaf springs have a bit less spring rate than the leaf springs do near the bump stop level of compression. The leaf springs may have 6500lb/in at bump stop and leaf spring plus airbag may have 5600 lb/in 3 inches away from bump stop so the small stuff is not so harsh since the axle can move a 1/2 inch without pushing back against truck with as high force.

At 5 inches off bump stops the leaf spring rate may be 2800 lb/in and when you add airbags with 10 pounds you are adding maybe 500lb/in and now making the axle push the truck weight with more force than leaf spring alone. Airbags do not have a fixed spring rate since you can vary air pressure which together with the yield of the airbag determines airbag spring rate. The air bags you buy for hot rods has more yield with more flexible bag fabric. The HD airbags for our trucks have little flex so their spring rates gets higher at a more steep rate when air is added. The biggest difference you feel usually is the airbags keeping your truck body from hitting the harsh stop of the bump stops when hauling the heavy loads.

2006 F450 CC Hauler bed 4x2 6.0 L 6.0 auto, Lariat, 4.30 r/a, SCT, 4in exh. 103K New heads to repair diesel in coolant, 136K.
2006 F350 Lariat CC Dually 4X2, 6.0 auto 4.10 LS, SCT, airbags, 4 in. exh. 147K Rebuilt engine to repair damage from burned piston. One head to fix fuel in oil problem.
2002 F350 CC DRW flatbed (originally pickup bedded) rebuilt & upgraded 4R100
36 feet on the floor Elite/Outlaw LQ horse trailer.
35+5 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer.
36 foot double tandem axle flatbed trailer
36 foot Platinum 6 horse LQ, side load, full width back tack
2003 EB Expedition 164K (no engine repairs, gas burners are the new longevity leaders)
2004 Volvo V70R AWD-high miler in fleet, 241K (no engine repairs)
2007 BMW 550i 6MT 146K, Stuff breaking all the time that would last twice as long on a Kia or Hyundai, sad. Drives great though.
Suzuki Carry KEI truck, 660cc 3 cyl DOHC EFI 4X4 5 speed RHD. Sort of a Smart Car sized pickup. Eats Gators and Mules for lunch.

Last edited by jimmy; 02-05-2017 at 09:16 PM.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 08:04 PM

My Photos: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1011 View Post
The less air you have in them the better it will ride. Mine are at 5 psi when I'm empty. It seems to me that my ride with the bags at 5 is still a little rougher than the truck was without the bags.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd883chopper View Post
Interesting, so you think it may have decreased unloaded ride quality? I would have thought that having airbags would have kept some of the travel off the leaf springs therefore softening the ride somewhat.

I'm still learning about these things. First time I've owned airbags on a Superduty.

Thx!
Hd

Yes I do. If you have the bags at 5 psi then drop the trailer on it or add a bunch of weight to the bed and check the pressure in the bags again you will find it increases. The same thing happens when you hit a bump and the suspension is compressed.

2012 F250 XLT
6.7 CCSB 4X4 Sterling Grey, B&W Turnover Goosenech Hitch, Air Lift LoadLifter 5000, 50 gallon Transfer Flow replacement tank, Weather Tech mats
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-04-2017, 09:39 PM

My Photos: (8)
I run mine around 5 psi when empty. I like my truck to set as level as possible at all times. I adjust the bags according to the weight I have in bed. 5th wheel means 25lbs. Keeps my headlights in adjustment and a nice ride. If you jack up off the frame and hang the axle make sure you take air bag pressure to 0.
DENNY

1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 12:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmy View Post
No, airbags stiffens it. If it raises truck off the leaf springs it is because it has the force of the leaf springs. The spring rate (force increase per unit of compression for airbags is higher than for the leaf springs. The leaf springs on late model trucks are why they rise so much better than older trucks. It is also the reason the new trucks drop so much more for the same load compared to the older ones.
Thanks Jimmy for that detailed explanation. That about clears it up for me.

Now on to gooseneck/5th wheel prep questions. On another post ofcourse!

Thanks to all!

Hd

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.