The Diesel Stop banner

Block Heater Bumper Plug Upgrade

64K views 34 replies 26 participants last post by  Michael Digangi 
#1 ·
Block Heater Bumper Plug Upgrade
Thought the OEM Block Heater Plug looked pretty Cheezy on a $62k truck. I purchased one of these for my battery charger outlet for my Cobalt boat. So I decided to try and install one for the Block Heater on my new KR. Takes less than 30 minutes to install and bought the Plug on Amazon.com and was about $18. It is made by Marinco and they are designed for wet conditions so should work well and last for years. Took some photos of install. Easy Peasy, not so Cheezy!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nicely done! Saves crawling around on your knees in the dark looking for the plug!

#4 ·
It has a a water-tight rubber sleeve on that is not shown as well. Here's another photo of factory plug pulled through the bumper hole I cut out.

Here is some more pics and search this title on Ebay for some more pics of the product and you can order as well, even though I got mine on Amazon.com

EBay title;

MARINCO 15A/125VAC Twist-Lock , Shore Power, Waterproof Panel Mount Plug

Attachments

#5 ·
SWEET! i might try that on mine. is it the whole wire assem? or just the end to waterproof??

#6 · (Edited)
Just pull the existing block heater wire through the hole in bumper, you will need to undo a few mounting clips to allow enough slack, Then cut the old plug end off the wire and strip the 3 wires so about 3/8" copper wire is exposed. Green (ground), Black, and White wires correspond to same colors screws on the Marinco receptacle.

The rubber boot slides over to seal receptacle, then tighten with supplied lock-ring on inside of bumper. I used the supplied screws by drilling 7/64 holes for added security and strength.

Attachments

#7 ·
Ted,

That's a great set up. Clean install. Nice work.

I totally agree that for the price of our trucks, there should be a more permanent, heavy duty connection for the block heater.

I will be pulling the bumpers to de-chrome and paint to match very soon, and I will be adding this plug, or similar for sure.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 ·
Here ya go, auto unplug.
EcoVantage Catalog: Auto Eject WP
But I think for the price I'll keep the extension cord hanging over the side mirror to keep from forgetting to unplug it...

#12 ·
I think I used a 1-7/8 (one and 7/8 inch) hole saw to cut out bumper hole, I located it low in case I want to put one above it either for a battery charger or a female outlet for a 120v inverter.

I used both the factory lock-ring and drilled for the 3 mounting screws and this is rock solid. I believe an extension cord will easily pop out should you forget to unplug as long as extension cord has a stop or has been tied down.

If you wanted add a Red 120v warning light on the A pillar when plugged in, just add $10 and 15 minutes.

Reactions: Rymac and meteor56
#14 ·
Yeah, was thinking the same thing. Will paint the bare edges with Clear fingernail polish. Also picked up a 120V red LED pilot lamp, will test it when plugged in to be a cord reminder. Want to place on the A pillar at eye level.

#15 · (Edited)
Zinc galvanizing primer or chemical rust neutralizer will work a lot better than a paint- or lacquer-based primer.

In the electrical trade, this connecter is called an "inlet". (counterpart of "outlet") There is a wide variety of inlets available and you might be able to save some money shopping at electrical suppliers vs. the RV & boat world.

#16 ·
I thought $16.99 including shipping to my front door was pretty reasonable. (Amazon.com) I've used Clear fingernail polish on a number of things for rust protection with good results. Easy to use as you just paint it on with the cap brush.

#18 ·
A good idea and very nice work. Thanks for the tip; I will do this install.

#19 ·
It would be nice if Ford did something tasteful and put the plug behind the F250 emblem, making it on a hinge and work as a door. That would be a real "Sneaky Pete" type thing that would have a real WOW factor.

I know, I know, Dream on....

#21 ·
Filler caps were moved from the rear to the side to reduce the risk of spilling & igniting the entire fuel load during a rear-end collision. My nostalgia doesn't extend to two vehicles (and their occupants) burning to the ground after a relatively minor crash.

Under the contemporary FMVSS, spilling more than one liter of fuel is one of the ways to fail a crash test.

#22 ·
Holy crap, we were talking about hiding the block heater plug behind the Ford oval. I analogized it to the old gas cap/tail light and you had to come up with THAT?

#24 ·
I've seen a write-up where the plug was installed in the wall of the fog light. It's not so obvious, but the same or similar water tight plug was used.

I'd considered Option B but my stock cable has a plastic clip that attaches to the tow hook, so I'm fine with that.
I've thought about the fog light surround as an ideal location for this plug. Wonder if it'd fit there???

#25 ·
Eric, mounting on the rear is a very good idea, but for a reason that you might not think of.

In park, the transmission does not circulate any oil, so letting a rig warm up does the transmission oil no good. The toughest (highest pressure) function of an auto transmission is reverse. If you back into the space where you plug in, you start put going forward, not in reverse. this does not matter if it isn'the very cold very often and for months on end, but if you live in minus 40 country (both F and C degrees are -40), you will find that a lot of transmissions rap out at only 100k, and most of them have torn oUT reverse.

That is one mighty fine install.

#26 ·
On a related note, having just acquired (picking it up later today) a "new-to-me" 2015, F-350, I am assuming that although the engine has the block heater built in, I will have to purchase the necessary heater cord from Ford? (this was the case for my 2006 F-250).

Does anyone know the part number off-hand?

#27 ·
Does anyone know the part number off-hand?
BC3Z-6A051-A is the block heater element if you do not already have it installed and BC3Z-6B018-H is the power cable. Check for your power cable--mine was tucked up pretty far behind the bumper and so I bought one that is now a spare. :winking:

Reactions: bogeyman
#29 · (Edited)
Block Heater

I really liked the solution that was posted to this page. However, I have a Ranch Hand bumper on the front. Nothing to really drill thru because I didn't want to go through the diamond plate. So I came up with this solution. I ordered a light rack mount that would hold the receptacle. I wasn't able to use the supply rubber mounts so I took some tool box drawer liner in between the clamps. It worked great and is very secure. Additionally I didn't want to cut the OEM cord so I butchered a new extension cord and made the pigtail. I plan on getting one of those extension cord protectors to sandwich the pigtail and OEM cord from the weather. Here are some pictures. (Sorry the pictures are upside down. They are ok on my computer)

Attachments

#32 ·
I really liked the solution that was posted to this page. However, I have a Ranch Hand bumper on the front. Nothing to really drill thru because I didn't want to go through the diamond plate. So I came up with this solution. I ordered a light rack mount that would hold the receptacle. I wasn't able to use the supply rubber mounts so I took some tool box drawer liner in between the clamps. It worked great and is very secure. Additionally I didn't want to cut the OEM cord so I butchered a new extension cord and made the pigtail. I plan on getting one of those extension cord protectors to sandwich the pigtail and OEM cord from the weather. Here are some pictures. (Sorry the pictures are upside down. They are ok on my computer)
Heff,

Looks Good, I just had a block heater installed on my '15. I may have to look into something like this.

#31 ·
Both very nice re-inventions of the Marinco Mod. :thumbsup:
Had one on my truck since about 2004. (See the Marinco heater plug-in link in my signature).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.