The Diesel Stop banner

EDGE Insight CTS2

29K views 47 replies 15 participants last post by  ralderman 
#1 ·
I ordered an Edge Insite CTS2 today, because I want to monitor my engine while pulling my 5th wheel. I have a 2015 F450 and I would like to know what parameters to watch and what values to set the alerts at.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

#2 ·
Personally, I'd cancel your order and buy a $20 wifi dongle on amazon and use the Forscan app. I've started using it after Wharrell recommended it (just launched a Android version) and it will monitor well over 200 PIDS. It is crazy what it will monitor.. a couple things I like seeing

1) Oil life monitor
2) will tell you the PSI in each of your tires

It will also let you save the data log file and input it into a chart.

Here is a screen shot from my tablet

Here is a screen shot from my phone

Suction cup mounted on my center console

Why spend $400 on something that will do a 1/10th of what this will do for $20??

#27 ·
Suction cup mounted on my center console

What mount are you using? Is it a Ram Mount suction cup? Something you found on Amazon?

Does the tablet stay in the truck?

Does the tablet shutdown when parked?

Sorry for the 20 questions, but you've got me thinking! :thumbsup::read:

#3 ·
blwnsmoke,
WOW thanks for the info, my wife ordered it for my birthday and I don't own a tablet, just a laptop. But I agree it way cheaper and your screenshots look great :thumbsup:

#4 ·
If you have an Iphone or Android smart phone, you can use that instead. Hell, my 7" tablet that I am using in the picture was $300, still cheaper and a lot more useful.

Not bashing edge (well maybe a little) but for the limited monitoring they offer, it is over priced. Much better options out there these days.

Good luck whichever route you go.

#9 ·

I bought the wifi one because I wanted to keep my bluetooth free so I could keep it hooked up to MFT. If you buy the bluetooth version, then you can't do handsfree calling with it monitoring the truck.

I had one that would give me traction control warnings on the dash and the light would blink. I've had no issues with this particular one so far.

#7 ·
The Forscan site might help you with your questions. I think some of the chinese OBDII give a few problems but is suppose to work with the ELM327 adapters, performance issues.

FORScan FAQ

#11 ·
#13 ·
#16 ·
Well I got the app and I have the Bluetooth connected to my tablet just fine. Start the app and I get the message unable to identify the vehicle and to contact the developer. Anyone have any thoughts before I contact them tomorrow? Like I said the tablet can see the Bluetooth and it is a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2014 with Android 4.4.2.

#17 ·
What OBDII adapter do you have?

#18 ·
All I know is it is white and it has Vgate on it. Instructions tell me to select the VLM327 for pairing so I think it might be a knock off of the ones on Amazon. I purchased it about a year ago when I was going to use it in my 2004 F-150. Never used it until now. Maybe it is bad.

It does pair with the tablet just fine. Only the app that does not see it. Maybe I'll just pick up a different one on Amazon and try later.

#19 ·
BLWNSMOKE,

Got the ELM 327 Wi-Fi Interface module suggested. I can't seem to get the App to see the adapter. I WiFi connect to it from either a tablet or my phone and the app will not see the OBD interface module.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

#20 ·
When you go to your phone's WIFI, you can not see the ELM Adapter in the network list? You need to have your phone connect to the Adapter WIFI before the app will see it. You may have to physically connect the first time with your phone and and establish the recurring connection for the future.

Wasn't there a problem reported that some of the Chinese EML327 have a timing issue with the app?

#22 ·
Might be an app problem at this time. I noticed some of the ELM327 didn't mention android. I wouldn't think it would matter but who knows. Electronics, computers and women act strange at times.

#26 ·
Yup, I noticed that too. I noticed that most bluetooth ones stated it supported android but most wifi stated iOS only. I had to be very careful in picking one and in fact, ordered a B/T and a wifi just incase and then returned the B/T when the wifi one worked.

#23 ·
Got the ForScan App working on a different tablet. With a Nexus 7 works great and its my spare tablet. I tried it on my new Samsung Tab A 8.0 and could not get the App to connect. Funny thing, both tablets are running Android 5.0.

ForScan App has a ton of PID's to watch. Maybe to much, Analysis paralysis....

Gary

#24 ·
Heh...I like that Gary. Analysis Paralysis. I agree. I just got mine in and got it running on a Dell laptop. Lots of info. I haven't even gotten it on my iPhone or iPad yet.

I will say, the set up was not near as complicated as the documentation made it out to be. In fact, the documentation was pretty confusing. But I got it done.

#25 · (Edited)
Sorry guys, I missed this thread. IF you are using the wifi adapter, you need to go into the settings of the app and change the connection type to "wifi" instead of bluetooth. You need to do this for each device you install the app on.

If you need help with adding the different PIDS and items to monitor, let me know. It took me a little bit to figure it out.

Also, take note that this app defaults to KM and not miles as well as Celsius and not Fahrenheit. You need to go into each option that you choose that has a distance or a degree and change it to report correctly.

I'd be happy to help over the phone if anyone is still having trouble getting it going.

#30 ·
You can only monitor one module at a time. You need to go into the PCM module and then once there, they are listed under EGT or Exhaust Gas Temp.

I can verify it tomorrow morning on the exact name of it.

#31 ·
Yeh I noticed that as well. I got everything to show up except the at which seemed to be in a different module and the egt the only thing I could find was the egt volts pid.

#34 ·
I may be confused on what you mean..beta version is on android.. did u try both android and the iOS versions?

If you have android, you can PM me your email and Ill email you the apk file Im using. Without checking the website, I wonder if they have an update that removed those on accident.

#35 ·
Hey I appreciate the help. I used the beta version for windows and version 1.2.5 for the iphone which is considered the Forscan lite. Either of them gave me the option for the egt temp pid. I sent an email to Forscan but still haven't heard anything back. I also downloaded the app on the wifes ipad which is the same version 1.2.5 and still couldn't find those pids. I'm assuming it has something to do with those two versions but hey I've been wrong before. Wonder if anyone using those versions could chime in.

#36 ·
Are you downloading the app from the store?

I know the apple version is a little different then the android version as I've spoke with Wharrell on the phone for a few hours and he has the iOS version. He was helping me walk through the setup and we figured out by that and my screen shots that it is a little different.

May want to PM him and see if he can help you out more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.