The Diesel Stop banner

Finally upgraded my stereo

2K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Phil G. 
#1 ·
After several years of a factory non-Sync AM/FM/CD stereo, I finally broke down yesterday and upgraded. I picked up the Pioneer AVIC-8200NEX with 4 JL C2-570x speakers. I added a backup camera through the tailgate emblem and was supposed to get SiriusXM, but they missed the add-on in the installation (!). So far, it's great! I have to wait until Monday to raise Cain about the satellite radio, but otherwise, the sound is very nice. If I was 30 years younger, I might have added an amp, but my middle-age ears don't need one anymore. The Apple Carplay is very handy as is displaying DashCommand using AppRadio.

Pretty decent system all in all. I just need to figure out all the bells & whistles. :smile2:

Reactions: larrgh
#3 ·
Here's the headunit.

Attachments

Reactions: Phil G.
#4 ·
WOW... that integrates really well into the dash, looks like Ford put it there.... until you listen to it I'm sure. It probably sounds light years better than the OEM stuff.

#5 ·
Thanks. It sounds great. Besides the sound quality, one thing I am really thankful for is the hands-free phone function. I had been using separate bluetooth devices for the phone and for GPS, but the integration of both makes life so much easier.

Now, I'm considering an upgrade to Old Black, my 1996 F250 7.3. I have an inexpensive Sony in there now, but really want the BT calling feature.

#6 ·
Sony....ouch, ya... time for it to go. good luck with that upgrade.

If your not looking for the full meal deal in that truck, there are some really inexpensive single DIN units out there (like about $100) that stream music and connect to phones just fine.

#7 ·
Yeah, I didn't know any better at the time. This go round, I'll likely go with a Pioneer unit as well, just not a fancy one. I don't really drive Ol' Black but back and forth to the office anymore which is only about 15-20 minutes tops. I need to get with the guys at Houston Car Stereo who did my SuperDuty and see what they have. I'm thinking even a higher end unit will only be around $125-$150 and I don't know if I need to go that high. If I pull the trigger, I'll post pics here as well.

#8 ·
Sounds good. I installed a JVC in my daughters car a couple years ago, the BT worked great on it. The only advantage to JVC (at least up until a couple years ago) is I found they usually offer 4v preouts on the low end units which is good for driving amps (if it's in your plans) but just on the lower end units versus Pioneer, Alpine, JVC, Kenwood, etc. Once you move up the price point, they all offer higher preout voltage. It's hard to go wrong with any of those brands though.

A lot of it, IMO, is the button layout, what unit is easy to operate while your eyes are on the road.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.