Gooseneck/5th Wheel Prep - 2 holes in center - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty.

1Likes
  • 1 Post By larrgh

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Gooseneck/5th Wheel Prep - 2 holes in center

Hey all, still new to gooseneck and 5th wheel setups, so trying to get my bearings.

Just bought a 2014 with a hitch prep already in. I believe its stock Ford since I don't see any B&W or Reese indicators on it.

Anyway, maybe ya'll can clarify for me. From what I've found online, it seems that the 4 points around the center are for chain tie downs if you are running a gooseneck (is this right?). The center is obviously for the gooseneck ball but there are 2 holes at the bottom of the center post. Does the gooseneck ball have to bolt into these holes? I'm trying to determine what holds the gooseneck ball in the center post hole.

The second part of my question is for the 5th wheel. When I finally install the 5th wheel hitch, this would bolt to the 4 post holes surrounding the center gooseneck hole right?

Thanks,
Hd
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0449.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	1.10 MB
ID:	104610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0450.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	960.5 KB
ID:	104618  

Current: 2014 F350 4X4 Platinum Dually 6.7 Powerstroke

Previous: 2012 F250 4X4 Lariat FX4 Fleetside 6.7 Powerstroke

Previous: 2005 Excursion 4X4 Limited V10 Gasser
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2017, 05:23 PM

Thee four outer holes are used with a 5th Wheel Hitch. The goose neck uses the large center hole for the ball and two of the outer holes (assume the two closest to the tailgate) for the safety chain pucks.

Not aware of any hitch that uses all 5 holes at one time.

Appears the previous owner never installed or removed the rings around the 5 pucks and the plugs that fit into the pucks.
HeavyAssault likes this.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 11:34 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrgh View Post
Thee four outer holes are used with a 5th Wheel Hitch. The goose neck uses the large center hole for the ball and two of the outer holes (assume the two closest to the tailgate) for the safety chain pucks.

Not aware of any hitch that uses all 5 holes at one time.

Appears the previous owner never installed or removed the rings around the 5 pucks and the plugs that fit into the pucks.
Thanks Larry.

So what about the 2 holes at the bottom of the center gooseneck point? Does the gooseneck ball come with two studs that need to be bolted through those holes? I tried to get a picture of the holes but it was too shady. Posted pic below of what it looks like on another truck.

I know these are rookie questions but bear with me! So if I had a ball like the one pictured below, how in the heck does it remain in the center sleeve? I didn't see a latch rod or anything in the wheel well. That's why I was thinking that maybe if there were studs hanging out the bottom, it would bolt up.

If I'm way off here, please correct me... a little confused...

Thx.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0452.JPG
Views:	58
Size:	15.5 KB
ID:	104665   Click image for larger version

Name:	hitch.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	104673  

Last edited by hd883chopper; 02-06-2017 at 12:13 PM.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 02:39 PM

I was told that the two holes are simply drainage holes, nothing sticks in them. As for the ball itself, there are two (I believe) steel ball bearings located on the lower sleeve (you can see one of them in your picture). I'm not at home so I'm going from memory (I have never used my setup as I have a 5th wheel) but as I recall there is a lever on the top of the ball. You lift it up and the small rod internal to the assembly moves up enough that the steel bearings can go in and the ball can be installed. When you have the ball down in the hole, close the lever and the ball is locked in. Pressure on the ball from the gooseneck drop-down portion maintains pressure on the lever so it can not come loose (or should not come loose - hence the two safety chains that go into the pucks.

If you look closely at the picture of the center hole, at the top inside edge you can see the channel that the steel bearings seat in when installed.

Hope this makes sense and helps.

2015 F450 DRW 4X4 King Ranch - way more than I need but couldn't pass up the deal
2012 F350 DRW 4X4
2011 F350 DRW 4X2 (discovered I really used the 4-wheel drive more than I remembered.)
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-06-2017, 07:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypilot View Post
I was told that the two holes are simply drainage holes, nothing sticks in them. As for the ball itself, there are two (I believe) steel ball bearings located on the lower sleeve (you can see one of them in your picture). I'm not at home so I'm going from memory (I have never used my setup as I have a 5th wheel) but as I recall there is a lever on the top of the ball. You lift it up and the small rod internal to the assembly moves up enough that the steel bearings can go in and the ball can be installed. When you have the ball down in the hole, close the lever and the ball is locked in. Pressure on the ball from the gooseneck drop-down portion maintains pressure on the lever so it can not come loose (or should not come loose - hence the two safety chains that go into the pucks.

If you look closely at the picture of the center hole, at the top inside edge you can see the channel that the steel bearings seat in when installed.

Hope this makes sense and helps.
Thanks skypilot! Yes that does make sense and now I feel a little silly. So basically I can just choose the gooseneck ball that I want provided it's the same diameter and I'm good. I did see the ball bearing that you were talking about.

Just want to say I'm glad to have found this site. So much good info in here.

Thanks again
Hd

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 08:37 AM
DKR

Ford uses a pretty neat set up for the in bed hitch and I have one on my truck.

The 5th wheel ball is different than what I was used to in that it had a release on the top of it that allowed the 2 ball bearings on the side to lock and unlock. All you have to do is unlock the release and drop the ball in and lock it in.

The 4 keys run north and south and you drop either the 2 chain adapters in and turn them 90 degrees to lock them in.

Also if you want a 5th wheel hitch you can get one that is built to drop into the 4 keys and turn the locks to secure it.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKR View Post

The 5th wheel ball is different than what I was used to in that it had a release on the top of it that allowed the 2 ball bearings on the side to lock and unlock. All you have to do is unlock the release and drop the ball in and lock it in.

The 4 keys run north and south and you drop either the 2 chain adapters in and turn them 90 degrees to lock them in.

Also if you want a 5th wheel hitch you can get one that is built to drop into the 4 keys and turn the locks to secure it.
Very cool. Thanks so much. I'm guessing the diameter of the Gooseneck ball is standard eh? Meaning regardless of what kind of prep kit you have, any gooseneck ball would fit? I'm referencing the shaft that goes down into the center hole.

Thx!

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 01:37 PM

The kit shown is specific to Ford and Reese Elite in bed hitch systems. As far as working with another hitch prep besides Ford or Reese, I would be a bit leery of attempting to use it. If buying, I would make sure the ball description stated what hitch it works with and it was the same hitch as you have installed.

Mixing and matching components from different manufacturers can be very hazardous to your health and others also.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:11 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by larrgh View Post
The kit shown is specific to Ford and Reese Elite in bed hitch systems. As far as working with another hitch prep besides Ford or Reese, I would be a bit leery of attempting to use it. If buying, I would make sure the ball description stated what hitch it works with and it was the same hitch as you have installed.

Mixing and matching components from different manufacturers can be very hazardous to your health and others also.
10-4 on that. I would definitely be on the phone with the distributor before ordering to be sure it matched up with my set up.
Thanks,
Hd

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2017, 11:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:

Definitely looking into the B&W Companion. That's the one that drops into the center gooseneck sleeve I believe... right? Researching this one and on the top end the TrailerSaver air hitch but that's a subject for a diff post.

Thanks,
Hd

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2017, 08:04 AM
DKR

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd883chopper View Post
Definitely looking into the B&W Companion. That's the one that drops into the center gooseneck sleeve I believe... right? Researching this one and on the top end the TrailerSaver air hitch but that's a subject for a diff post.

Thanks,
Hd
The Companion your talking about works with the B&W Turnover ball hitch. You do not have that hitch!

You have the Ford hitch and you will need the Companion that utilizes the Puck system. Here's a link to the B&W page.

Companion OEM - 5th Wheel Hitch - Fits Ford Puck System | Puck Mounted Attachment | THE B&W ADVANTAGE
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-09-2017, 10:26 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The Companion your talking about works with the B&W Turnover ball hitch. You do not have that hitch!

You have the Ford hitch and you will need the Companion that utilizes the Puck system. Here's a link to the B&W page.

Companion OEM - 5th Wheel Hitch - Fits Ford Puck System | Puck Mounted Attachment | THE B&W ADVANTAGE
Thx DKR, goes to show that I've got a lot to learn. Good thing I have time before I make any moves. Thanks for the tip!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.