MUD FLAPS!!! - Page 10 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty.

1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #136 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 09:15 PM

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MX727 Sounds like we have a difference of opinion in the office. It all depends on what we each have heard from our customers.
If a customer is specifically saying they want THE BEST protection possible on a dually truck, I will tell them that the 14" wide will give them a bit more protection with the rear fender wells sticking out so far than the 12" wide. If your truck has the flares around the wheel well, the 14" wide looks perfectly fine.
But I had read the postings above before I replied to that email, and was hearing that everyone is happy with the 12" wide, and getting plenty of protection. I mentioned the idea of leaving the weights off the front specifically for someone looking to maybe save some money. Our mud flaps will not fly up with or without the weights, they are for looks only. However, the mirror finish stainless steel weights do add a lot to the look of the truck.
Sorry for the confusion. How do the 14" wide work for you? Are they too wide looking? Do the Stainless weights show well?
Let us all know. Maybe post a couple photos??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #137 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 09:18 PM

Here is a little story about Duraflaps, and my stupidity in backing up.....

Had an '07 Dually with factory flaps, was backing up over a curb and the mudflap got caught with the wheel pulliing it down--the flap split, that was the only damage.

On my '09 450, I installed the Duraflaps and love them. Kind of a similar scenario as above, this time with a mesquite log--when the tire pulled the mudflap downward, it ripped the fender. Got a 7" gash that cost about $2100 to replace and paint the new fender. However, got to use the same Duraflap again, as there was absolutely no damage to it.
Moral to the story----Duraflaps are so good, they will not break before a dually fender will. I now pay a lot more attention to the backup camera....

Joe

2010 F450 Lariat 4x4--died, but reborn
2009 F450 Lariat 4x4--died, scrapped
2007 F350 KR DRW CC 4x4-Gone to pasture
2015 Mobile Suites 38RSSA--hoping for another 10 years
2005 Mobile Suites 36TK3--traded, 10 years of camping memories
post #138 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-25-2014, 12:40 PM

We try to keep the dually mud flaps 7" off the ground to avoid backing into normal parking guards and curbs. We leave them that long because that is what it takes to keep rocks from hitting your trailer or boat, and most dually trucks are used for towing.
If anyone needs mud flaps, but does not tow, we can make them a bit shorter.

post #139 of 147 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 06:10 PM

My Photos: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuraFlap View Post
MX727 Sounds like we have a difference of opinion in the office. It all depends on what we each have heard from our customers.
If a customer is specifically saying they want THE BEST protection possible on a dually truck, I will tell them that the 14" wide will give them a bit more protection with the rear fender wells sticking out so far than the 12" wide. If your truck has the flares around the wheel well, the 14" wide looks perfectly fine.
But I had read the postings above before I replied to that email, and was hearing that everyone is happy with the 12" wide, and getting plenty of protection. I mentioned the idea of leaving the weights off the front specifically for someone looking to maybe save some money. Our mud flaps will not fly up with or without the weights, they are for looks only. However, the mirror finish stainless steel weights do add a lot to the look of the truck.
Sorry for the confusion. How do the 14" wide work for you? Are they too wide looking? Do the Stainless weights show well?
Let us all know. Maybe post a couple photos??
I think they look great. Not too wide for my taste. These are on a 450 so I do have the fender molding and I think the weights look nice. I'll try and grab some photos. I've always been pleased with your products. I was just amused by the difference in recommendations and maybe she was factoring in the moldings.

2014 F450 Lariat, Ruby Red with Black Interior
post #140 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 09:54 AM

I wasn't going to go with duraflaps since I thought they were too much money... but after just checking out their website, they emailed pictures of what they looked like on my specific truck and a few other things. I was impressed with their customer support so I pulled the trigger.

I am glad I did. They are very heavy duty and the install was easy and very clean looking.

Here are a few pics on my 2013 F-450. 12" wide front, just sticks out a bit for full coverage.

2013 F-450
post #141 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-05-2016, 06:27 PM

Did you bolt right into the plastic front fender or is there some sort of bracket you used? I am looking at the gator-backs for my 2013 f450 and am worried that they may be too heavy for the plastic fender or I will strip the hole trying to drill the bolt in
post #142 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-06-2016, 11:51 AM

Mine bolted right on and they are solid. Still no problems with them.
f450 likes this.

2013 F-450
post #143 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-07-2016, 09:30 AM

Just go to the DuraFlap site and email or phone. They can send you all the install directions and photos for review.
The mud flaps are drill-less so you do not have to remove the rear wheels to get a drill in, and they end up straight and centered to stock wheels.
post #144 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 08:58 AM

I can honestly say I will never buy another mud flap. Duraflap's are the best, hands down. I've had mine for a few years, almost 100k miles on the truck now and I drive this thing like a sports car, usually cruising at 85+. I have had zero issues. The flaps are as good today as the day I put them on the truck. Unlike the cheaper, thinner flaps that will get all bent up from wind, NOT these. Still straight.

Totally worth the money.
post #145 of 147 (permalink) Old 03-08-2016, 09:39 AM

The GatorBack mudflaps are significantly more expensive, I don't think you guys are understanding what I am asking. They are about half an inch thick and weigh like 10 pounds each. These are what I am talking about and that is the truck I am putting them on. The quality of these flaps is not the concern.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	$R6FKAP5.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	90465   Click image for larger version

Name:	$RPUQG2H.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	90473   Click image for larger version

Name:	$RECOM0G.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	889.6 KB
ID:	90481  
post #146 of 147 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 12:17 PM

Does anyone have any experience with the Weathertech No Drill/"Quick turn" type?

http://www.weathertech.com/ford/2016...p-moulding/no/

Sparky Al
2016 F350 4x4 crew cab SRW 6.7L
post #147 of 147 (permalink) Old 01-09-2017, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparkyAl View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Weathertech No Drill/"Quick turn" type?

http://www.weathertech.com/ford/2016...p-moulding/no/
They are similar to thee stock Ford splash guards. I had a problem with the Ford rubbing the paint on one of the front fenders. After Ford warrantied the paint since they were factory installed, I ended up removing them and replacing with the Ford flat splash guards. I like the flat ones better. This style is cupped shaped and would collect snow and mud.

Larry

2015 F350 Ultra Lariat 6.7L CCLB DRW 3.73 Limited Slip, Green Gem Metallic w/ Caribou accent, Camper Package, Titan 65gal tank, Rapid Heat, Block Heater, Upfitter Switches, Dual Alternators, Camper Package, Cable Lock, Husky Floor Liners, Spray in Bedliner, 5th Wheel Prep, 25K 5th Wheel Hitch, Ford Goose Neck Hitch.

Traded 2011 F350 XLT CCLB SRW 6.2L gasser 6,000 miles for 2015

Sold 1996 F350 XLT CCLB DRW 7.3L 208,000 miles

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.