My HID Projector Retrofit - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
'11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 09:30 AM Thread Starter
VTX

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
My HID Projector Retrofit

I don't know about the rest of you, but if I had to pick one thing that has disappointed me about this truck it's the headlights (so far not much else). I just found them very lacking. Even the high beams were pretty weak, to the point where I couldn't even see much difference between the low and the highs.

Well, I decided I was going to fix that and after some research decided a HID retrofit was best to get really good light output without blinding other drivers.

The kit I bought was from The Retrofit Source.

I bought the Bi-Xenon FX-R Stage III kit here: Bi-xenon FX-R Stage III Kit - Complete Kits from The Retrofit Source LLC

I configured it with Morimoto 35w ballasts, 35w D2S 4300K bulbs, Gatling shrouds, and the H13 wire harness.

Some things about the kit, everything looked really well made. The wire harness was just a tad short. No matter how I tried I just couldn't get it to reach, but it's wasn't hard at all to splice a little extra length in it. The thing I really liked about the wire harness is that it's set up so you don't have to do any modification to the truck's stock wire harness. It just plugs in to what's already there.

In fact, I didn't do any permanent modification to the truck at all, except to the headlight housings. The ballasts and wire harness are all kept in place with automotive double side tape (the same kind that's used for car emblems), so I didn't have to drill anything. I was even able to plug the negative lead into an already existing bolt going to the frame.

Now about the install. At first I was planning to do the retrofit myself, but in the end I decided I didn't want to take the chance of screwing up the headlight housings, plus I just didn't have the time to do it, so I sent them to JB at Black Flame Customs here: BlackFlameCustoms : HID Projector Headlight Retrofits, Retrofit Service & Parts

JB did an excellent job. I was really happy with how they turned out. Not only that, but both Matt at TRS and JB at BFC were very helpful and I thought the customer service was outstanding. From the day I shipped my headlight housings to JB to the day I got them back took just 10 days and JB was in communication with me the whole time updating the shipments and progress. So, a big thumbs up to both of those guys.

Now, as to the performance I had it out last night for the first time and I can say there is a big difference from stock. This is what the headlight should have been from the beginning. In fact, I don't know why Ford didn't have a HID option on these trucks. Maybe they will add that next year?

Anyway, I'm sure what you all care most about are the pictures, so here are a few in the daylight. I've been too busy to take more, but I will try to get some night pictures tonight and update the thread with those soon.

Last edited by VTX; 12-17-2010 at 03:16 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
VTX

2011 F-350 Lariat Ultimate, Golden Bronze Two-Tone, CC, SB, 6.7L, 4x4, FX4, 20" Wheels, 3.55 E-locker
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 09:57 AM

that looks great. wish Ford offered that as standard lighting

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 10:37 AM

awesome VTX this is exactly what I will be doing 1st thing on the new truck. Projectors are the only way to go IMHO, can't wait to see some good night shots. Just a couple questions...

was there a reason for going with the 35w instead of the 55w?

plenty of room for the ballasts ?

after parts was the price close to what they have listed on their site for the complete kit ?

did you buy an extra set of headlamps or just send in yours and park the truck for 10 days?

2011 F350 CC DRW FX4 Tuxedo Black on Black
2011 Heartland Landmark Key Largo 5'r
2007 F350 CC SRW FX4 Outlaw Lariat "Johnny Cash" Edition Black on Black
2008 Mercedes GL450 Loaded (Wifes Car) Black
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
VTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmomega View Post
awesome VTX this is exactly what I will be doing 1st thing on the new truck. Projectors are the only way to go IMHO, can't wait to see some good night shots. Just a couple questions...

was there a reason for going with the 35w instead of the 55w?

plenty of room for the ballasts ?

after parts was the price close to what they have listed on their site for the complete kit ?

did you buy an extra set of headlamps or just send in yours and park the truck for 10 days?
I went 35w because I've heard there wasn't a huge difference and also the 55w gets quite a bit hotter. It might be ok, but it seems like I've read some people have had problems with the plastic on the headlight housing melting on other cars. You'd want to talk to Matt at TRS about it for sure though.

One thing about these headlight housings is that there is a lot of room in front of the projector lens, so there might be enough space that you'd be ok with 55w. I just chose to play it safe.

There is plenty of room for the ballasts. There is a frame between where the headlight housing is and the radiator/grille. I just used double sided tape and stuck them to that section of frame. It's inset a little so the headlight housing can still slide in without hitting them and you can't see them at all once the headlight housing is back on.

The only hardware I bought besides the kit was some wire, some wire splice/connectors, some shrink tubing, and plastic wire conduit to lengthen the wire harness. I probably spent an additional $20. That doesn't include the install of course.

For the install I used the stock headlight housings, so I had to keep the truck parked in a garage bay for 10 days until I got them back. But that gave me time to get the wire harness installed, which wasn't hard at all. Once I got the lights back it took maybe 20 minutes to put the headlights back in and the grille back on.

2011 F-350 Lariat Ultimate, Golden Bronze Two-Tone, CC, SB, 6.7L, 4x4, FX4, 20" Wheels, 3.55 E-locker
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 10:55 AM
Dak

My Photos: (1)
The cost for another "stock" set of headlights is around $200...

I am curious as to what the total cost was to do it?

2011 F350 SRW 4x4, Lariat, LWB, Diesel, Nav., 5th Wheel and Camper Pkg.
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
VTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak View Post
The cost for another "stock" set of headlights is around $200...

I am curious as to what the total cost was to do it?
Total cost was around $950 with the install.

post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Dak

Thanks. What did TRS charge to modify the headlights? And I am assuming you are adding the shipping costs to and from to the total cost?

post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:10 PM Thread Starter
VTX

Quote:
Thanks. What did TRS charge to modify the headlights? And I am assuming you are adding the shipping costs to and from to the total cost?
TRS doesn't do the actual retrofit. I just got the kit from them. JB at Black Flame Customs is who I sent the headlights to with the FX-R kit.

So, about $325 for the kit, and about $600 with shipping for the retrofit.

post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Dak

Cool thanks... When you get some night shots of the lights I would appreciate you posting them. Almost too bad you didn't take a "before" shot.

post #11 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
VTX

Quote:
Cool thanks... When you get some night shots of the lights I would appreciate you posting them. Almost too bad you didn't take a "before" shot.
I definitely will. I should be able to get some taken tonight and will try to post them up this weekend.

Yeah, I completely forgot to take some before pictures. I meant to do that, but I just got too busy and it slipped my mind.

I'm planning on driving to a dark country road to take some pictures from inside the truck looking out. If someone else with the stock headlights wants to do the same then maybe we could put together some side by side comparisons.

post #12 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
VTX

By the way, I just found out Black Flame Customs stocks some OEM 11' Super Duty headlight housings. So another option, if you don't want any down time, is to have him retrofit those and send them to you. Then you can send your stock ones back for a refund.

post #13 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 04:10 PM

do yoy know where on long island they are located?

2017 f250 4x4 6.7 carli 2.5 leveling , Bilstein shocks
post #14 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
VTX

The address I shipped them to was in Islip.

post #15 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-17-2010, 07:27 PM

VTX ,in the 950$ is not included the labor.You just replace the low beam hedlight right?Anyhow the light look excelent I want to do that myself how hard is it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 - 2016 Ford Super Duties > '11-16 Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.