Questions for adding Ford's 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Kit - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket

'11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 07:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Questions for adding Ford's 5th Wheel/Gooseneck Prep Kit

While I had initially planned on ordering my F250 with all of the options that I wanted... my dealer just happened to have the exact truck I wanted on the lot, with the exception of one option: the 5th wheel prep kit.

Since I don't have an RV yet, I don't actually need the hitch yet... but, before I have the bed Line-X'ed in a few weeks, I'd like to order & install the Ford prep kit... part number BC3Z-5F057-A.

Problem:

I'd like to see a copy of the installation instructions before I order to know what all is involved. While I'm used to turning my own wrenches, I don't have a lift.

* Does the installation involve removing the bed to gain access to the frame, or should the truck be simply be lifted for access?

* Is this something I should try myself, or just bite the bullet and allow the dealer to install it?

* My truck has the 6.5 ft bed. Anyone foresee any problems with the install overall?

* And finally... I notice that the description states: Does not include Wire Harness. Anyone have a part number where I can order that also?

Thanks...

2014 F-450 PLATINUM
2014 Dutchmen Voltage 3200 5th Wheel RV
2007 Honda GL1800A Gold Wing
ATCguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-27-2012, 07:59 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Personally I would go with the B&W gooseneck turnover mount and use the companion fifth wheel. Easy instalation.
2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC,LB, SRW 3.31 ELD.Vermillion Red.Bakflip HD,Spray in bedliner. Tint all windows.Edge Insite CTS. DDM Tuning,Hi/Low HID'S (H13,55W.Bull Bar. red grill lettering/stainless tailgate letters.AMI chrome locking fuel door.Plazma light bar.
2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC.LB SRW Oxford white. (FORD BUY BACK)!!!
2009 F-250 Superduty 6.4. CC.LB SRW Trade in.
2010 Ford Focus. All the bells and whistles. Red Wifey's econo box
1994 F-150.XLT.5.8 litre 351. E4ODE.Extended cab LB. 198,000 miles.Don't use a drop of oil.
Hdslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 10:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

I let my local rv dealer install my last hitch for my 5th wheel(same setup as the factory minus the goose neck) they charged me $500 for parts and labor.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
webslinger1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 10:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

B&W. With the factory version you get grease, a little bag to store it somewhere if you want it with you and a mount that always gets full of hay in my truck. Plus the B&W is cheaper and easy to install yourself.
Nickelplated5s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
Agreed with the B&W setup and having that installed instead of the factory system.

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (18)
My kit for the Reese Elite hitch includes the wiring harness and is about the same as the Ford kit. When my dealer installed the hitch, they did raise the bed a few inches.

2011 F350 PSD Lariate, CC, 4x4, LB, DRW. Air Bags,

2013 Lifestyle LS37RESL 5th Wheel
fulltimer50 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 05:35 PM   #7 (permalink)

Ok, I notice that many of you are saying go with "the B&W setup". To be honest, I'd never even heard of B&W before today... so I have to ask: whats your reasoning?

Is it price alone... or do you consider their products to be better than the OEM (which is believe is Reese)?

Next... if I do go with then, exactly what products are recommended? Are you all talking about what the first reply stated... the B&W gooseneck turnover mount & the companion fifth wheel... or something else?

Finally, exactly what is involved with its installation? Is it something that can be done in my driveway with a few tools... or does the truck need to bet on a lift, and/or remove the bed?

(Yes, though I've done my share of conventional towing over the years, this will be my first 5th wheel setup.)

2014 F-450 PLATINUM
Old 07-27-2012, 06:17 PM   #8 (permalink)

If you want to go with reese then also look at the hitchs. I have the slider hitch in mine but its pricey.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
webslinger1977 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-27-2012, 07:16 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by webslinger1977 View Post
If you want to go with reese then also look at the hitchs. I have the slider hitch in mine but its pricey.
I'm not saying that I WANT to use a Reese... I'm open to all options. Just curious what setup is going to give me the best flexibility... especially since I haven't decided which trailer I'm going to be pulling yet. I'm pretty sure it'll be a 5th Wheel... but not so sure about a long-nose or short-nose.

As I said in my previous post... I'm fairly new to this game.

But one thing I am pretty sure of... with my 6.5 FT bed, I'm going to need all of the flexibility I can get.

2014 F-450 PLATINUM
Old 07-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (29)
Search B&W on the internet and read their website.
You will see why it is a good hitch.
Yes, go with the turn over ball and companion hitch.
You could install it yourself, I paid someone to do it.

2002 F250 CC, 4X4 - Sold
2004 F350 CC, FX4, loaded - Sold
2006 F350 CC, DRW, FX4 - Sold
lincster is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 12:44 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
The B&W is very easy to install. You use the factory dimple in the middle of the bed to center your 4" holesaw and the rest of it bolts in. When I ordered my truck the Ford website allowed for the prep on the SB truck but the accessory package indicated it wasn't compatible with the SB. So I just went with the B&W and am glad I did.

I can get the part number for the Ford harness but it's at the shop and I'm out of town for the weekend. My truck doesn't have the pigtail to plug the factory harness in to so I went with the aftermarket one that piggy-backs on the factory under bumper connector.
gearhead1011 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 09:26 AM   #12 (permalink)
RCF

I was in a similar spot a couple of months ago - found the perfect truck except it didn't have the 5th wheel prep pkg. I was thinking the same thing - just get the kit and install it, but I'm honestly glad it didn't! After some research, I decided I didn't want the Reese hitch, and that's the only one that works with it without using normal bed rails (and that defeats the point of having it).

I ended going with a Superglide hitch, and would've had to use normal bed rails instead of being able to remove it and have a flat bed. Superglide has a kit that makes the hitch totally removeable as well - so no rails in the bed. I looked into the B&W, but I wanted a sliding hitch just in case - if I bought a long bed I'd have went B&W myself.

I did buy the Ford wiring harness/plug for the bed and installed it.
RCF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 09:41 AM   #13 (permalink)

I have the B&W Companion hitch and love it. here is a link on installing it
daily double is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 11:05 AM   #14 (permalink)

B&W has become the standard for Gooseneck hitches in the horse trailer world. They have adapted their very successfull Gooseneck hitch to support the 5th wheel hitch community.

Both hitches use the same mountain plate. With the Gooseneck, you drop a simple 2 5/16" ball in the mount. For the 5th wheel you put a square block of metal in the mount and the attach the 5th wheel assembly to that.

It makes for a flat useable bed when not towing.

Most dealers will install the B&W turnover ball for $500 If you buy the parts yourself, they cost $399, So you save $100 for the install labor. First time install will probably take you two hours. The guys doing it everyday at dealerships can get it done it about an hour or just over. You decide if the wrench turning for an hour is worth $100

http://www.fuelly.com/sig-us/59436.png
Painted Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2012, 12:10 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
The sweet thing about the B&W is the 5th wheel is in 2 Peices and me be not a really strong person I can remove it by myself. And don't need a special lifting device each time I want it out of the truck.
2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC,LB, SRW 3.31 ELD.Vermillion Red.Bakflip HD,Spray in bedliner. Tint all windows.Edge Insite CTS. DDM Tuning,Hi/Low HID'S (H13,55W.Bull Bar. red grill lettering/stainless tailgate letters.AMI chrome locking fuel door.Plazma light bar.
2011 F-350 Superduty 6.7. CC.LB SRW Oxford white. (FORD BUY BACK)!!!
2009 F-250 Superduty 6.4. CC.LB SRW Trade in.
2010 Ford Focus. All the bells and whistles. Red Wifey's econo box
1994 F-150.XLT.5.8 litre 351. E4ODE.Extended cab LB. 198,000 miles.Don't use a drop of oil.
Hdslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.