Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/)
-   '11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f151/)
-   -   SYNC Update for GEN1 (http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f151/sync-update-gen1-367633/)

WPineF 08-14-2013 05:51 PM

SYNC Update for GEN1

Just got off the phone with the FORD vehicle tech people and there is a update available for the SYNC GEN1 systems for our F-series it is 4.2.1.4 the only bad thing is its a dealer only upgrade and it sounds like the dealers think it is only for Edges and Fusions. I have a appointment for Friday for the upgrade.

ShumpH15 08-14-2013 06:33 PM

Do you have plain old sync or sync with my ford touch? I think that is what makes these updates so confusing. I often miss my plain old sync version 1 in my old truck. Seems like it worked much better than this gen 2 with my ford touch I have now.

BTW Where in Rhode Island? I used to go to Peace Dale every summer as a kid.

WPineF 08-14-2013 07:15 PM

The old SYNC with the NAV. I live on the Island near Newport.

Jetmech05 08-21-2013 11:19 AM

I just called my local dealership and they told me it would be $115 charge for the upgrade and that I will need to leave my truck with them all day. Does anyone else find this a little ridiculous? I guess I don't understand why I have to pay for a hardware upgrade that everyone else can do through this syncmyride.com site. I guess its disappointing to me that Ford is doing this.

MPD56 08-21-2013 01:18 PM

Was at the Dealer on Monday asked about My Sync account telling me there is an update for my 2103 F350 and 2013 Edge, they told me there wasn’t. Went to the Future Shop and bought two flash drives and installed the “Gen2v361build13171updatepackageNARev1” update myself.

The frustration was that Ford Sync wants you to go back online and confirm that the update was successful by uploading a “xml” file, but won’t because the file the vehicle put on the drive is not exactly the file name they want, nor in the right folder?
Went on an online chat with Ford and they gave me a number to call to confirm. I called and gave them information about my truck and they said in 24 hours my records would be updated. When the wife came home, I updated her 2103 Edge and tried again to go online to my Sync account and confirm without any luck. So my account says that I downloaded the two vehicle updates and keeps asking me to confirm, which I gave up on.

The update does seem to make things run faster and I had to smile when I saw the note that the update would screw up the clock and DST and the fix will be out on the next update. I can’t imagine why Ford would send out an update and tell you it is going to screw up a function and not just wait till they fixed it?

Also to add to the rant, the Ford online Chat Rep said that the vehicle would send out a message to Sync Services to confirm my update. The thing the salesman forgot to tell me and the online chat Rep, is when my free U.S.A. subscription ran out, so did most of the features because they are not available on a Canadian account and I can’t subscribe to a U.S.A. account with a Canadian VIN number. I was also hoping that the Sync Update would erase these features off my screen so that nag screens wouldn’t keep popping up to subscribe to things that are not available to Canadians after 6 months of owning the vehicle with having the features working.