The Diesel Stop banner

Testing backup camera?

9K views 15 replies 2 participants last post by  larrgh 
#1 ·
So I have the factory OEM nav display in my 2011 F250. When I put the truck in reverse, black screen shows up saying watch my surroundings. The plug for the harness is in the back of the truck near the tailgate.

I purchased all the necessary equipment. Harness, camera and tailgate handle.

I go to test the camera tonight, hook the harness up to harness on truck, hook camera to harness, start truck, put truck in reverse and nothing happens. Still a black screen..

My question is if there is a way to test voltage to when I put the truck in reverse, it's sending some sort of voltage back to the camera to turn on. Wondering if I have a bad harness or camera or it's not hooked up at all.

Thanks for the help fellas!

#2 ·
I've answered my own question as I've tested voltage at harness at tailgate, harness to camera, and voltage on the backside of camera.. I have 12-13 volts from harnesses to camera..

Does anyone know of anything else to check for before I have to take it to the dealer?

#3 · (Edited)
I guess the question is, do you have the video plug in the back of the radio/nav radio? There is a small plug the plugs into the center of the rear of the radio. I know when I upgraded the radio in the 2011 I use to have from standard radio to Nav radio, I wanted to move the camera from the mirror to the radio screen. I had a cable made up that ran from the passenger kick panel back of the radio...

See the back of the thumbnail photo for the connectors.

You need to contact 4DTech and see if they will make you a cable you need. One of the men who founded this company made me a cable like the one in the link below that plugs into the connector in the passenger kick panel

Camera Input Harness - Add a camera! - 4D Tech, Inc

This is the connector you will need to connect the cable

These are the pins in the connector, one side will have the following in the connector and the other side will be open

15 > Black
16 > Shield
17 > Clear

The guys name that I got the cable from is Steve Redmyer.

#5 ·
It may be hooked up....I guess I was under impression you were adding the Nav radio also.....but do check the wires in the kick panel and see if the connector is on the back of the radio

#6 ·
Oh i'm sorry to confuse you.. The nav unit was already installed, however it was installed after the fact. The truck did not come with the nav but it is the factory OEM nav/display unit.

Do you know of an easy way to check the back of the unit? i've looked at trying to remove it from the dash but I did not see anything jump out to me that looked easy to do.

#7 ·
Here is how to remove the dash cover to remove the radio.

#8 ·
So I tried my buddies tailgate, no dice. Same thing.

Here's another question. If I had no video cable(coax or whatever), wouldn't I have a blue screen on the display instead of a black screen?

I'm going to pull apart the dash tomorrow night. If I do it tonight i'm liable to rip the entire thing out and throw it in the street lol

#10 · (Edited)
I think if you have no video it would be a black screen. I know sometimes I see a brief moment of black before the camera comes on the screen.

Did you check the plug in the passenger kick panel for the pin number I listed above? See if they have a wire on both sides of the plug? The plug I am talking about is the gray plug int he photos I posted.

The orange wire is most likely your antenna for the am/fm radio. The video is NOT fed to the radio via coax. It is shielded wire, black, clear and shield.

#12 ·
Look at the photos I posted. This connector is not it. The connector in my photos has 22 pins.

Pull the plastic kick panel off that covers the A pillar by the floor and door. The connector will be behind it. Look for a connector like the one in my photos.

#13 · (Edited)
Maybe this will help you locate the connector

#15 ·
So i've spoken with Brad at 4dtech. He explained to me it's extremely hard to trouble shoot this over the phone(which I completely understand). Here is what we've come up with. Black, Clear and Shield on those pins are supposedly aftermarket colors(per Brad). I have different colors(OEM) coming into 15,16,17.

My current testing solution is to hook a monitor up to RCA, cut the leads off one end, hook the leads up to 15,16,17 on the 22 pin connector and see if I get video when I put the truck in reverse. Otherwise, i'm stuck having to run 3 leads back to the tailgate harness to tie into that harness in the rear and tie into the plug that goes into the nav unit.

I will test this tonight after work. I'm hoping I get video off these pins to make this easy(so far, none of this has been easy lol)

#16 ·
I hope you can figure it out.

Not that is matters, the photos I posted are from a 2011 F350 XLT that came with the rearview camera in the mirror.

Ford has been known to make changes to wires and locations.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.