Tire Size Adjuster? I want to add bigger tires.. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket

'11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 2011-Up Super Duty.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 10:11 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Tire Size Adjuster? I want to add bigger tires..

Hey guys, new here and I just got a new F350 6.7L. I want to add bigger tires but I want my speedo and mpg's to read out correctly... Any ideas on how to do that without adding power? This thing has enough for me!

Thanks.

Last edited by SuperDutyF350; 11-10-2011 at 10:16 PM.
SuperDutyF350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #2 (permalink)

Another thing... I noticed my SRW F350 has a 14k receiver... is that standard on 350 and 250?
Old 11-11-2011, 12:06 AM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to usmarshls
it all depends on what size you go with. you can get ford to do it if its with in specs. for the trans or get a superchips or like tuner that will change your tire size....
Factory upfitter switches
rear seat cover "kids are a mess"
LED floor lighting front and rear.
LED lights in bed under rails.
MORE LEDs coming soon.

SOLD Goodbye my love
2005 F-350 King Ranch FX-4 CC long bed
2in level kit.airade intake with 4micron sock.superchips.sinister coolant filter.blue spring update.ranch hand wrench ready front bumperreplacement. installing glowshift gauges EGT,BOOST,TRANS TEMP,FUEL PSI. with quad gauge pod A-PILLAR.4IN turbo back cat delete

2004 F-250 V-10 -SOLD
1986 F-150 V-8 302CID first year of EFI -SOLD
1984 F-250 V-8 351CID Carb SOLD

In the Garage
1995 F-150, 460CID
2004 Expolrer 4.0L
usmarshls is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 08:04 AM   #4 (permalink)

you've already got 'tall' gears w/the 3.55
taller tires will rob some of that low-end torque to the road
if you are towing, esp. mountain towing, you will be hobbling the truck
in my opinion, taller tires require shorter gears
but of course that depends on just how tall you want your tires
speedo re-cal is not the important issue IMHO
frank faucheux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-11-2011, 11:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

How big of tires are you thinking? Which ones do you have on now? I know from this forum the max heigh you can set the for computer is a 34.7" tire. Not sure if aftermarket companies can over ride that or not.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:29 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank faucheux View Post
you've already got 'tall' gears w/the 3.55
taller tires will rob some of that low-end torque to the road
if you are towing, esp. mountain towing, you will be hobbling the truck
in my opinion, taller tires require shorter gears
but of course that depends on just how tall you want your tires
speedo re-cal is not the important issue IMHO
I've got the lowest possible gears you can get in these trucks... don't forget the tranny gears are low compared to normal. 3.55's on one of these trucks is comparable to 3.73's on chevy and pretty close to a ram with 4.10's.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sportscraft View Post
How big of tires are you thinking? Which ones do you have on now? I know from this forum the max heigh you can set the for computer is a 34.7" tire. Not sure if aftermarket companies can over ride that or not.
I want to go with 34.5" how do I set the computeR?
Old 11-11-2011, 10:45 PM   #8 (permalink)

Other then buying a programmer you have to have your ford dealer do it for you. Speedometer repair shops might be able to do it for you as well (at least they were able to on my 2002).
Old 11-12-2011, 03:03 AM   #9 (permalink)

I have 3:31 gears, put on 34" BFG All Terrains and tow a 15K 5th wheel in the mountains of Southern California and hardly felt a difference. With the torque of this engine and the transmission its not an issue.

2011 F350 XLT CC 6.7 PSD 4X4 3.31 E-Locker, Integrated Reese 5th Wheel Hitch, Icon Leveling Kit Springs and Shocks, Firestone Air Bags, Fuel Off-Road Throttle Wheels, BFG All Terrains, N-Fab Nerf Steps, Aries Grill Guard, Line-X Bed Liner, 20000mi

(SOLD)2006 F350 XLT CC 6.0 PSD FX4 Baja Limo III Donahoe Level kit, Moto Metal 957s BFG 305-65-18s N-Fab Steps Line-X Bed Liner KC Day-lighters 62000 Mi..... Ran better than new.

(SOLD)2005 F350 XLT CC 6.0 PSD FX4 "New Baja Limo" DK Grey, Dual Alternators, MBRP Exhaust System, Nerf Bar Steps, Rhino Lined Bed, 5th Wheel 33ft Extreme RV Toyhauler JSC Sandrail
49500 Mi.......... Ran Like New

SOLD)1996F-350 CC 7.3 PSD 4X4 Baja Limo, Banks Chip & Trans Command-Triple Disk Torque Converter 4:10s Down Pipe-Deleted Cat- Open Element Intake-Rancho 9000s 210000mi runs like new.

Score International Off Road Racing Official
www.score-international.com
Race5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-23-2011, 04:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

the drive train ratio 'package' from engine RPM (thru trans and diff) to tire diameter is built to keep engine at optimum power band across probable tow speeds. It does not matter that a differential gear set is not available as an OEM option; its a matter of physics. when building jeeps we always kept the engine in the power band by installing after market diffs or axles and diffs when required
frank faucheux is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
2011 Super Duty and larger tires

My 2011 Super Duty has a 10" Ultimate Air Ride air suspension and 37X12.50X20 Nitto Trail Grappler tires on Pro Comp Black Chrome Wheels. I have stock 3.31 gears. I saw 22.1 mpg when stock on flat ground, sea level and 75 - 80 mph. After tires and lift the truck is at a best of 16.2 mpg under same conditions. The truck has ample torque and the tires are not creating a burden on the engine with 800 lb/ft.

After talking with numerous other shops and chip manufacturers we have concluded the following: The new trucks have very sensitive engine controls and sensors. When larger tires are installed, the truck thinks it is going slower than it actually is and "de-fuels" the engine. The result is an unfelt loss of speed when driving. The driver then gives the truck more acceleration, which actually "over-fuels" the engine and creates a fairly dramatic loss of mileage. The dealership can change the size of your new tires in the computer up to a new diameter of 34" or so (I was told). A technician and I fooled with it for awhile one day and were attempting to also fool it by changing the gear ratio in the computer as well, so that the overall tire size was compensated for. We were also doing the 400 hp/800 trq. flash. He ended up giving up after the computer began objecting to both being done at the same time, he thought.

The last I checked (month or so ago) no manufacturer has still been able to "crack" the Ford computer system and change the tire size, gear size and correct the speedo with resulting better fuel mileage. We are on the edge of changing axle gears to solve the problem, but are lazily investigating the correct gear ratio to go to.

We are also waiting to ship out a system to a shop up in Nevada that has a customer with same size tires, 4.30 gears, H&S programmer w. DPF delete and getting around 22mpg. I have not personally spoken to that customer.

On a final note I have had to have to DPF replaced at around 6000 miles. The dealer said they have heard of a few from their rep, who have had to do this. I suspect the larger tires are causing this. I have lately been having the "Drvie to Clean Exhaust" light coming on, which was the symptom before, along with the "wrench" picture. This truck sees a lot of short around town trips and I suspect that may also be contributing or causing the whole problem.
2011 Ford F250 Super Duty, CC SB SRW, 6.7L Scorpion, 3.31 gears, 10" Ultimate Air Ride suspension system, Accu-Pro Air Management System, 37X12.50X20 Nitto Terra Graplers, 20X9" Pro Comp Knight Chrome wheels, Custom through body exhaust, Custom aluminum rocker panels.

2003 Ford F250, 6.0 PS, 5spd Auto, 4.30 gears, 8" Ultimate Air Ride Air Suspension/Lift, 37" Toys on 20" Weld Velocitys, MBRP Dual Exhaust, Edge Chip, Propane Injection, Bullydog Intake. www.ultimateairride.com
ultimate Air Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2012, 11:16 PM   #12 (permalink)

Get your self a Hypertech Inline Speedometer Calibrator Module.

I put one on my F-250, fits in behind the dash cluster...........slick as crap. Install the software in your laptop. Make sure you have a data cable and adjust to any size wheel/tire you want.

ôRemember without a gun, the flag your waving might as well be white"

Last edited by daytona; 01-10-2012 at 11:43 PM.
daytona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2012, 03:22 AM   #13 (permalink)

The dealer can set it for any stock wheels available with your 3.55 gears. This was discussed over at FTE but I haven't found the post over there yet. I think it was the largest setting for 20" tires will be almost exact to what you want. I will try to find it and post the tire size here.

For others that have 3.31 gears the problem they run into is if you set a 20" tire size you get a CEL because it is not a stock size available with 3.31 gears. Which was the case with the truck over there. They ended up having the dealership change the gear setting to 3.55 which allowed the 20" setting. Not sure what if anything that does to the truck.
cford716 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Anyone familiar with what the dealer's computer can actually do for a larger tire? Can they manipulate the gear ratio and the tire size (the mild amount that it can?) Nobody makes a controller that can change the settings so the trucks regain their lost mpg's.
2011 Ford F250 Super Duty, CC SB SRW, 6.7L Scorpion, 3.31 gears, 10" Ultimate Air Ride suspension system, Accu-Pro Air Management System, 37X12.50X20 Nitto Terra Graplers, 20X9" Pro Comp Knight Chrome wheels, Custom through body exhaust, Custom aluminum rocker panels.

2003 Ford F250, 6.0 PS, 5spd Auto, 4.30 gears, 8" Ultimate Air Ride Air Suspension/Lift, 37" Toys on 20" Weld Velocitys, MBRP Dual Exhaust, Edge Chip, Propane Injection, Bullydog Intake. www.ultimateairride.com
ultimate Air Ride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-20-2012, 08:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimate Air Ride View Post
Anyone familiar with what the dealer's computer can actually do for a larger tire? Can they manipulate the gear ratio and the tire size (the mild amount that it can?) Nobody makes a controller that can change the settings so the trucks regain their lost mpg's.
the ids will do a few different tire and wheel size combo but nothing over about a 34" so no go if lifted. and yes you can change the gear ratio also

you can buy something like a bully dog triple gt. it does power gains but you do not have to use them its adjust up to a 35" i believe. when adjusting tire size it programs the tcm and not the pcm so no warranty problems.
Recon Projection Headlights, AFE Exhaust,
Katzkin Leather, Smittybilt M1 Grill
Bilstein 5160 Shocks, 20" Rigid LED Light,
Firestone Airbags
spedkid94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 2011 and Up Ford Super Duties > '11-Up Upgrades and Aftermarket

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.